TWENTY SIX

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE HIDDEN TRUTH

Subin

 

“Water or orange juice?”, I ask my father softly once more as I wipe his face with a wet towel; finalizing his bath of the day.

My father replies with a confused blink and I chuckle. I put the towel in my hand back to the small basin and motion myself drinking from a cup.

“Gulp gulp.. drink”, I told him slowly to make my father understand.

When he does, his face lit up and nodded excitedly. “Jui..ce”, he tries saying and I smiled. “Coming right up!” I cheerfully said and stood up.

I took the basin to the bathroom first before going out of my parents’ bedroom. Walking towards the kitchen, I saw my mother cooking her nth meal for her to sell at the stall that she’s going to work in today‘s festival.

Reaching for the fridge’s handle, my mother noticed my presence. “Oh Subin, did you finish giving him a bath?”

“Yes mother, he wants orange juice now”. I told her and she nodded. I took out a glass cup from the cabinet before pouring the orange juice into the cup fully.

I look over her counter and saw that my mother has already packed 90% of the things but I asked her anyway, “Do you need help?”

“No darling, I’m almost done— you should go out and have fun! It’s a fun day outside”, her mother told me and I frowned.

Have fun?

“Who’s going to take care of father if I’m away?”

It has been 6 years since my father fell into this condition. It’s nothing dangerous in terms of health but it is more towards memory loss.

Complete memory loss.

It’s like having to take care of a new-born baby who knows nothing and it was hard for us at first but now, we’re already used to it.

Thankfully, he’s beginning to understand the words they said and could point out what he needs. It is enough for us, baby steps, right? He’s learning to walk too even though he still struggles most of the time.

“Don’t worry about that, I’m bringing your father out with me since he’s been good lately”, she said and I still hesitate. I stare at her with doubt and then saw her struggle to lift the packs of foods to the front; to the living room.

“Should I help you to sell the food then?” I offered and my mother sighed. She put the things down and turned to me.

Walking towards, she placed her right hand on my cheek and said, “It’s been 6 years since you had time for yourself after your father became like this. You always sacrifice your time for us and spent the rest of your teen days working, this is the least I can do for you”

She told me with tears in her eyes, expressing the guilt that she hid from me. She’s getting emotional again

I look down and bit my lips, “Mother, this is never a burden to me. It is my responsibility to take care of the family, I am the only child right? I never felt any burden at all.” I said shakily and took her hand in my hand, squeezing it gently.

My mother nods as a single tear fell from her eyes, “So do me a favour and enjoy yourself okay? Go to your room and search below your bed. I bought you a dress”

My eyes widened when she mentioned that she bought me a gift, “You shouldn’t have“

“Again, it’s the least I can do. Once you’ve changed head over here. I’ll put some flowers in your hair, you have to at least follow today’s dress code”

I gave her a grinned and nodded, I gave her a big hug and bury my head in her shoulder. “Thank you mother”. She then pats my back and then pushed me out of the kitchen.

I half ran over to my bedroom and immediately searched below my bed. There’s a big box lying down there and it is completely new. Unlike the other stuffs that has been sitting below my bed that was covered in dust, there was none in the box.

I pulled it out and placed it on my bed. Slowly, I opened the box and gasp when that it is a white dress.

“Oh”, I said in awe and place my hands on the soft chiffon fabric. I took the dress infront of the mirror and is in awe once again.

The dress is nothing fancy (although it a part of the collar is sewed in real gold string)— it still looks beautiful.

It has a visible heart neck line even though the top and sleeve is covered in white chiffon. It flows down until my ankle and it seems like a perfect fit for my figure.

I put it on excitingly and as I said, it is a perfect fit. Mothers know best indeed.

Smiling contently at my reflection while twirling around. Then I went out of my bedroom and was about to enter the kitchen once again but stopped when I saw the open door to my parents’ bedroom.

I feel like I’m forgetting something. I stare at the door as I try to recall and then it struck me.

“Orange juice!”, I exclaimed as I hit my head for forgetting. I dashed towards the kitchen and saw a glass of orange juice sitting alone on the counter.

My mother turned around upon hearing my rushed footsteps and gasped. She was about to say something but I interrupted her, “Hold that thought mother, I need to give the orange juice for my king first”

My mother burst into laughter as I grabbed the glass and carefully rush towards my father without spilling the juice.

As expected, he is sulking because I’m late. I pouted and gave him the glass of orange juice, “I’m sorry father, I was distracted” I said and sighed.

He took the orange juice and drank it immediately. While drinking halfway through the glass, he stares at me and paused.

He slowly put the glass down and his mouth formed into a small o. “Pretty..”, he said with a child-like smile before resuming to drink.

I blinked.

He said I’m pretty.

“Did you say I look pretty?” I asked for confirmation and he gave me a nod.

Instantly, tears start pooling in my eyes. I didn’t cry earlier when my mother cried but this, this is really special to me.

My father complimented me for the first time after 6 years! He used to do that every time when he’s still normal and hearing this again sparks hope in my heart.

He may not remember anything but I know that deep in his heart, he is still the same.

“Thank you”, I said while choking up. Wiping my tears away, I kissed his forehead before heading back to the kitchen just to find it empty.

“Subin! In the living room”, she called me from there.

Entering the living room, I saw flowers scattered around the coffee table as she finalizes the flower crown that I assume she made for me.

I kneeled down and ask, “Hair up or down?”

“Which ever you feel like, but I personally like it if you let it down. Be free once in a while, you always have it in a ponytail”, she chuckles and I agree.

I waited until she finishes and once she did, she placed the flower crown on my head. “Now go out and have fun okay? You look pretty”

I gave her a smile, “I know. Father told me earlier”

Once again, her eyes immediately went red and I laughed, “Aww mother, no more crying! I’m going out before this house gets flooded. I’ll be back soon!”

I left quickly and opened the front door. As soon as I set my foot out, I could hear people’s excitement as they chat and laugh. The view is pleasant as well with all the colours and flowers everywhere.

Previously, I could only stare out of the window as it is my duty to take care of my father but now that I’m actually outside, it feels nice to actually enjoy the festival.

Although it would be nice to enjoy it with friends, I hardly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter