THIRTY ONE

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE UNEXPECTED

 

"Dinner is ready!", Kyungsoo called out as Chanyeol slams the Galley's door open. Both of them volunteered in cooking earlier and no one could say no to that.

They were all gathered on the deck waiting for them to finish (with the exception of Suho, Yixing and Xiumin who's currently controlling the ship's movement).

"Someone please watch over Baekhyun, he might take a little bit too much", Kyungsoo added and the man who is currently biting on his spoon sent him a look. "I'm not that selfish to take someone else's portion"

"Well you don't but you usually take some from other's plates shamelessly", Aecha argued while chuckling as she carefully tries to divide the rice in equal portion before giving it out in plates.

Baekhyun lets out an exasperated sigh, "Why is this couple attacking me for no reason?"

While Baekhyun is making a scene over things dramatically, at the side Yeseul scooted over to Sehun and said "Baekhyun doesn't look like he eats a lot though? I'm jealous". She said with her bottom lip jutting out in jealousy, her eyes scanning over Baekhyun once or twice.

'That's not fair', she thought to herself. She could easily gain a lot if she overeats and it will take her lot of time to lose it.

Sehun opened his mouth to say something but shut it back because he reminded himself that if it's about weight, girls tend to be sensitive about it. Hence, he asked something else "Where's Haneul?"

Yeseul hummed as she scans the dark deck; it's already around 9PM and the only source of light was their phones and torch lights. Suho had specifically told Baekhyun not to light everything up to avoid being tracked during evening where most of them will be resting.

"She's not around.. maybe she's still napping. I remember that she's one of the girls who got sea sick and it's pretty bad"

"Oh", he simply replied and his eyes immediately went to the stairs that leads to rooms of the ship. "She hasn't eaten anything yet from the moment we found her in Deldara"

The minute she said that, Sehun automatically stood up from the floor (as per usual, they're sitting on the floor in groups for dinner just like a picnic) and found himself walking towards the cabin.

Yeseul watch as the youngest walk his way to the cabin and a knowing smile suddenly appeared on her face, "Everyone will probably have a crush at this rate", she whispered to herself while shaking her head.

She thought that no one could hear her but suddenly, Chanyeol appeared; sitting beside her and taking the empty spot for himself. "Who has a crush on who?", he asked while he settles down with his full plate.

Yeseul eyes the food on his plate for a few seconds, her hand already making its way to it as she shrugs her shoulder, "Find out yourself". She simply answered before popping the meat she stole from him into .

He then gave her a playful, offended look. "You stole my bits of my food and won't tell me? Is this what friends are for?"

"Are we friends though?", Yeseul asked with one of her eyebrows raise while munching and Chanyeol froze.

"Are we more than that then?"

The second he asked that, she stopped chewing and froze as well.

The atmosphere suddenly turned awkward as they stare at each other with question marks above their head. Yeseul actually didn't mean it that way, she was just teasing him; implying that they just met and aren't qualified to be called as friends yet but it seems like he's thinking way ahead of her already.

Chanyeol then realized what she actually meant and his ears turned bright red, "Oh..", he choked out and blinked.

The girl cleared her and looked away, continuing to chew slowly.

That was awkward.

Yeseul tried to find a way to escape when suddenly, her gaze fell onto her empty plate. "The meat is lovely, I'll get some for myself"

"Sure", he replied quickly and she almost laughed at how forced it sounds. Saving him from embarrassment, she stood up and made her way towards Kyungsoo and Aecha who's still distributing food for everyone.

It feels like school with everyone in line trying to get lunch, there's 3 people waiting ahead of her so she decided to stare at the calm and dark sea while waiting.

It feels calm and cold, almost too peaceful. It would've been nice if this is just a normal cruise but sadly, they're actually waiting for the worst to come.

She sighed, wishing that everything will go well. As cheesy as it sounds, she almost wished upon the stars in hopes that everyone will make it out alive when suddenly she heard something.

It sounds like.. a creature sleeping?

Yeseul blinks her eyes repeatedly and scans the ocean in alert, tapping the person in front of her. "Do you hear that?"

Xiumin turns to her and asks her back, "Hear what?"

He looks confused and Yeseul frowned. 'Am I hearing things?', she then continues to look around and try to listen one more time but this time, she couldn't hear anything.

She turns her head back to Xiumin and realized that he's waiting for her answer so she immediately shook her head, "Oh, I think I'm just hearing things. Sorry, paranoia at its best"

His mouth turns into an O and he lift his hand to pat her right shoulder, "It's okay, that's understandable". He gave her a smile and turns back around since it's his turn to fill his plate.

Yeseul tilted her head to the side as she touches her right ear in confusion. Was it really paranoia or what?

While she's battling her own thoughts on the deck, there's another person who's also doing the same outside the cabin's door.

"Is everything okay in there?", Sehun asked for the nth time ever since he reached the door. He's tempted to just open the door but he figured that he can't just open the door to a girl's cabin so he decided to wait patiently even though there isn't any replies.

He knocked several times again, louder this time and finally, he could hear the door knob being twisted from the other side

Haneul was the one opening the door and unlike what he expected, she looks just fine. Not pale or anything but he asked her anyway, "Are you okay?"

The faerie nodded, "I'm fine. All I needed was a nap but..", she trailed off and turn her head around to another open door; the bathroom. Sehun followed her gaze and right on cue, he could hear someone throwing up in there.

Haneul grimaced, "Subin got it pretty bad. I'm worried, she's throwing up on an empty stomach too".

"Can I come in?", Sehun asked and she nodded.

He immediately walked towards the bathroom and halted right before he could see her in there, "Hi, it's Sehun. Just wondering if it’s okay if I-"

"Wait- hold on!", Subin stopped him and immediately reached for the flush. She weakly stood up from the ground (she was kneeling in front of the toilet bowl earlier) and went towards the sink to wash .

It is until then Sehun took that as an ok sign for him to actually peek into the bathroom.

He saw her in front of the sink, her head down but he could see through the mirror that her face is pale. Beside him, Haneul squeezed in to gently pat her back, "Are you okay now?"

Subin shook her head, "I don't think so. Gosh, how did you all manage to not get seasick" she said with her head in her hands.

"I'll call Chen and Yixing, maybe they can help", Sehun told them before dashing out to get the two guys he mentioned.

While he's out, Subin lifted her head and gave a weak smile at Haneul, "Atleast you're okay now. Wouldn't want to have two people being seasick right?"

The faerie shrugged her shoulders, "Maybe I wasn't seasick after all. I think it was the side effect of being drugged by Byun Baekhyun earlier, I've been feeling lightheaded before I took a nap"

Subin wanted to say 'lucky you', but that doesn't sound right considering what she went through. She could sense that the faerie is still annoyed by it hence, she decided to stay silent.

A few moments later, the door to the cabin flew open once again and they could hear rushed footsteps hitting the wooden floor.

Haneul stepped away from Subin and peeked her head through the frame of the bathroom door, "We'll be out in a second" she informed them before turning back to Subin.

Checking her reflection through the mirror, Subin decided to rinse once again before wiping it dry with the back of her hand before coming out with Haneul supporting her from the side.

Waiting on one of the bed were Yixing and Chen, Sehun leaning against the door as they stare at her. Immediately, she could feel her face flush in embarrassment. "Sorry, it's my first time being in a ship and I don't really get out of the house that often"

Haneul placed her in between Yixing and Chen on the bed before standing next to Sehun, automatically the youngest ask her "How about you?", referring to her being seasick earlier.

"Starving actually. It was the side effect of being drugged rather than seasick", she told him. Sehun then pointed the door leading to the deck behind him with his thumb, "They're still eating outside. Since you're feeling okay, do you want to eat?"

Haneul almost nodded at the mention of food but then her gaze fell to Subin; maybe she should at least stay until she feels better.

Sensing her hesitating, Subin shook her head and said, "I'll be fine Haneul, go eat"

"Are you sure?", Haneul frown and wanted to say that she's staying but suddenly, her stomach lets out a sound of protest.

Haneul froze and her one of her arm flew to her stomach in hopes that it will stop growling. Fortunately, the other 3 didn't hear it except for the man beside her. Sehun who's standing close could hear it and she could see him biting his lip in order to stop laughing.

She sent him short glare before turning back to Subin, "I'll be back later okay?"

Sehun stopped leaning on the door and turned around to open it, letting Haneul to go out first. Once they're outside, Haneul immediately said "Not a word" with an annoyed expression, making him burst into laughter.

"Ofcourse not"

Haneul rolled her eyes and walked in front of him grumpily, leading the way to the deck where everyone is gathered. He simply smiled at her retreating back, he finds it funny how she can easily get annoyed by everything.

Perhaps, he finds it cute too.

Back in the cabin, Subin is currently eyeing Chen warily as the man blinks at her innocently.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter