Chapter 5

The Story of the Ambivert
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5AM, Saturday
 

I tossed and turned in my sleep. I checked my watched and abruptly sat up. "I have class today." with sudden realization, I panicked, real bad. I stood up and ran to my mirror. "Ahhh. No!" I have visible dark circles under my eyes. "Aye. Whatever!" I threw my hands in the air and ruffled my hair. I ran to the bathroom and got ready.


We finished at 3 AM last night. I was so grateful that Minah sunbae arrived yesterday at 12. If it wasn't for her, I couldn't have made it through the night. While working, I had my notes beside me. I even had Jihoon help me study. Of course, when it was just us two and when I had time to myself. Minah sunbae and Rae eonnie were with manager-nim monitoring the boys while I stayed in a corner preparing for my long quiz today. I helped the boys when I needed to. Other than that, my notebook was stuck to me like glue. I reviewed more when I got home. But when I saw the time, it was 4:40. So I took a 20-minute nap. Thank heavens for my alarm, otherwise, I could've been late and I wouldn't even have the chance to take the long quiz, at all. Staying up late didn't even bother me that much because tomorrow is also my day-off. That being said, I could catch up on my sleep as much as I want tomorrow.

Running to my classroom, It was like passing through a maze. The people were obstacles and the time was my boost. I ran up the stairs and when I got inside, almost everyone was already settled. Panting, I walked my way up the stairs and sat on my usual seat. I placed my bag on the chair beside me then I plopped my head on top of my arms, which were on top of the table. 

"I thought you weren't going to make it." Someone said from behind me. I looked and saw the guy who lent me his notes yesterday. My eyes widened. "Sunbaenim." I bowed my head. He waved his hand and smiled. "Are you OK? Your hair is everywhere." He said. I bowed my head, embarrassed. I quickly combed my fingers through my hair and gathered it behind. "I was rushing, I didn't have time to dry it," I explained while combing my hair. I felt my wrist for a hair tie but I had none. "Seems like it." He laughed. I smiled sheepishly. He took out something from his bag and gave it to me. "This feels like deja vu," I said looking at him then at the beanie he reached out to me. "I'm being nice, and I want to be friends," he said smiling. I nodded in understanding. 

"I know I told you yesterday that I'd return your notebook today. But I couldn't finish writing it yesterday. Is it OK if I give it back to you later today? The beanie too." I asked. He simply nodded and smiled. "Return it when you're done. No rush." He said. I bowed my head, feeling grateful for him. "I owe you sunbae. Thank you." I said. He hummed, then I turned around when the bell rang and finally the professor came in. I wore the beanie and took out my stuff for the quiz. "You have an hour to finish the quiz. Your time starts now." 


11 AM

I placed my things in my bag and got up fast, I ran to the bus stop and got inside when the bus just came. Settling in, I stood in the middle aisle. I typed a quick text to Jieun sunbae. We were going to surprise Jisoo-ssi, who is also my friend's boyfriend -slash- co-worker -slash- childhood best friend. Today happens to be Jisoo-ssi's birthday, and we I intend to surprise him at work. It's not always that you become 23, so. I got off 1 block far from the cafe then I walked more and into a bakery shop. The smell of freshly baked pastry and the calm music playing made me feel cozy. 

"Hi, what can I get you?" A female employee walked up to me. "Do you have mixed flavor cakes?" I asked. "Yes, we do. We have strawberry-mocha, strawberry-vanilla, chocolate- vanilla, and many more." She pointed at the cake according to the flavor. I thought for a while and remembered that Jieun sunbae told me he loves strawberry. "I'll get one of this please," I said, pointing at the strawberry-vanilla flavored one. "Do you want to add a card with it?" she offered while she was taking out the cake from the freezer. "Oh, no need. Just 3 candles please." I said. "Coming right up." She said. She silently offered for me to sit while she wrapped the cake but I walked around instead, looking at the variety of pastries they have. 

"Oh." Rae eonnie waved my way and I did as well, walking my way to her. "Eonnie, what are you doing here?" I asked. "Oh, I'm with a few of the guys and manager-nim. The boys wanted coffee before going to their fan meet." as soon as her sentence ended, Ong oppa and Daniel Oppa came in with Manager-nim. I immediately looked around and saw that there were only a few adult customers. They walked in casually, already wearing their outfit. For a moment there I was on guard-mode because you never know. They waved when they saw me and I smiled brightly in return. 

"Eun-ah. I thought you had class today." Ong oppa said. "Ah, I finished just... 30 minutes ago," I answered, checking the time. "Rushing?" Daniel oppa asked. I nodded my head and was reminded about the cake. I looked at the counter as the lady also looked up and showed me the boxed cake. "I'll go ahead then." Bowing my head, I waved my hand at them and went to the cashier. "Here." I handed her my card and she swiped it. I signed on the screen then waited for the receipt to be printed out. "Thank you," I said, receiving the cake and my receipt. I bowed my head at her and was about to leave when I bumped into something, rather someone. 

"Not so fast, kiddo. Pick a drink." He held my shoulders and turn me around. I scrunched my nose. "I have to go," I said, looking at the cake in my hands. "They can wait, the cafe is just 2 blocks away." He said, looking at the menu on the monitors. I turned my head to him in shock, catching him closing his eyes like he'd just been caught saying something he shouldn't have. 

"How did you know that I'm heading there?" my eyes were skeptical and I couldn't take my eyes off of his caught expression. He closed his eyes, breathing deeply, then he looked at me. "Hm?" He asked. I gave him a more intense look. "You've been caught already. Did you go through my stuff?" I asked. "Mm. Maybe." He answered. "Oh, hey. Do you want to order that?" changing the topic, he pointed up at something on the monitor. My mouth gap open at his answer. "You actually went through my stuff?! I just randomly threw that question." I said. His eyes closed once again, he heaved out a breath and let Ong oppa and Rae eonnie order first. 

"I only got a glimpse of your phone yesterday. It was vibrating on the table while you were studying. I quickly peeked at it, and it said that today is 'Jisoo-ssi's' Birthday and you had to buy a cake for today. Who is this 'Jisoo-ssi' anyway?" He went on, ranting. I blinked. "Oh." was all I could say. "He works at the cafe-Oh. Wait, how'd you know about the cafe?" I caught on when he mentioned something about the cafe being 2 blocks away. "That. I can't answer. Maybe another time." He said with furrowed brows, shrugging the matter off of the conversation. "This Jisoo-ssi, who is he exactly?" He asked, suddenly looking serious. I could see a hint of redness around his ears, and he was trying hard to not avoid my eyes. "Why are you red?" I asked instead. "And why do you ask?" I threw a question, crossing my arms in the process. "I'm just curious. Can't I ask?" He said crossing his arms as well. My eyes narrowed at him. Is he... Perhaps... Aye, unlikely... Right?

"He's jealous." Ong oppa casually said, placing an arm around Daniel oppa's shoulder. Our eyes widened in shock. I could feel the awkwardness build in the air. Oh gosh. I couldn't even mention it in my head because it sounded absurd. But unlike me who stood there speechless, Daniel oppa slapped his friend's stomach making the older guy hunch in pain. "Hyung." He whispered. Ong oppa raised his hand and mouthed a silent 'Sorry' at Daniel oppa, who in turn glared back. 


"Daniel-ssi, are you going to order?" Rae eonnie asked. He answered yes and went to the counter without looking at me once. I stood there in shock. I can feel my whole face heat up. What does that mean? Can somebody just tell me what all of this means? If this keeps on happening, I won't be able to control how I'll feel either. My trance snapped when my phone rang in my hand. I looked at the caller and saw that it was Jieun sunbae. Looking up again, I bid goodbye to Ong oppa and Rae eonnie. I walked up to Daniel oppa and tapped his shoulder. "I'm leaving. Bye." bowing my head afterward and walking fast and out of the shop. I am such an awkward being. 

I pushed the door open only to be greeted by an empty cafe. I dialed up Jieun sunbae's phone and it rang. She stood up from behind the counter, looked at her phone, and at my waving hand. "Here," I said handing her the cake. Jisoo-ssi's shift doesn't start until 2 so we had time to prepare. Did I not mention? Jieun Sunbae's cousin owns the place. I guess she borrowed the place for the day, hence the emptiness. 

"Everyone will be here by 1. Help me with the decor please?" she said, running around the place. I applaud how much time and effort she's putting into this surprise party. I wonder if I'll be the same when I get a boyfriend. Out of nowhere, the thought of having Daniel oppa as my boyfriend popped into my head. I could imagine him hugging me tight and kissing my forehead while thanking me and everyone for the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter