Chapter 15

The Story of the Ambivert
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Eun-ah." "Eun?" "Eun hoobae?" "Choi Eun." I turned my head slowly to the annoying yet handsome voice of my senior, Jeon Wonwoo. 

Today is the first day back from winter break. And I am not having any of it. The moment I stepped foot inside the classroom, I settled quietly at the back row like I always did, only this time, everyone was looking at me and kept on whispering.

Over winter break, rumors about Wonwoo sunbae's crush on me passed around. Until the whole department knew about it, and now I'm miss famous because, well, he's popular. I thought these people didn't have any time to spare, I guess I thought wrong. Gosh, I never thought I'd get this much attention in school, at least not because of Wonwoo sunbae. 

"Yes sunbae?" What do you want now?... "Didn't you get a good night's sleep?" He asked, his voice a little cautious and sad. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply. Screw me and my weak heart. "I'm sorry. I'm not a morning person. Can I help you with something?" I said, my tone a lot more gentle and a little guilty. Though it is his fault I'm now the talk of the department. And i don't like it one bit.

"I was wondering if I could borrow a pen. I forgot my pen case at the office." He blinked. Breathing in again to calm my nerves, I took a pen and handed it to him. He smiled, taking the pen....then he patted my head.

 "Thanks. I'll give it back before lunch. Hopefully." He said, shrugging his shoulder. And like wildfire, gossiping could be heard from all corners of the classroom. I do not want this fame, at all. 

 

"Eun-ah! Wait up!" his deep voice echoed throughout the halls as I walked, well like speed-walked, all the way out of the classroom and somewhere. "Oh. Choi Eun!" I heard a female voice call from the end of the stairs. I quickly looked for that person and smiled in relief. "Sunbae!" I said running to her and giving her a tight hug. "Take me out of here. Hurry." I said, taking her hand and making it look like she's dragging me out. 


"Hey. Someone familiar is staring at you." Jieun sunbae said,  when she turned back to me. When we were a little farther from the building, I slowed down our pace and linked arms with her, resting my forehead on her shoulder. "Is he still looking?" I asked. "He acknowledged me then went back inside. It's very obvious that you're avoiding him."  She said. Suddenly, she gasped and stopped walking. "Is that Haesung? I mean Wonwoo? The one who told you he likes you?" She asked, grinning. "Why are you excited?" I asked. "I didn't notice this before, but he's gorgeous." She squealed. Knitting my brows at her, I asked "What?" 

Yeah. I mean...I admit, he is good looking. Really attractive actually. "He's more like an alien." I said to her. "Oh yeah, totally. Kind of like, out of this world handsome. Right?" She said. I blinked at her. Wow we could pass as twins. "Y-yeah." I answered, flustered she got it right. "Ooh. Daniel's really in it for a competition." She howled lowly. I rolled my eyes and linked arms with her again, leading her to a bench. "My man already won. There's no competition." I said, smiling at her. She pouted in reply. Silly sunbae. 


"What are you doing here anyway? You graduated." I asked. "I dropped off my resume." She said, shrugging her shoulder. "You're really going for it?" I asked. "Sure, why not? I mean, I love teaching, I don't see why I can't. Besides, they'll probably assign me to the first-years. That is if, I get accepted." She said, letting out a huge sigh. I smiled brightly at her and patted her hand, "You will get in. They're crazy if they won't accept you." I said. She smiled gratefully and patted my hand back. 

"That's sweet of you Eun. But let's face it, My resume isn't really that...appealing." She said. What? "No way. You have one of the highest GPA, you've tutored high school students and went to attend a bunch of courses for teaching. Experience wise....I guess you still need college experience on that, but overall you're great." I said. I really hope she gets the job here at the university. Or at least at the high school in front of the college. "Thanks, saeng." Was all she said before we dropped the topic and brought up another. 

"Oh hey, nice hair by the way. I almost didn't recognize you." She said, touching the ends of my now cut-short and dyed hair. "I figured I'd get a new look. You know how I am with this stuff." I said, winking at her. For the past 3 years, she knows how many times I played with my hair. "When did you do this?" She asked. "Yesterday," I said, giving her a straight smile. She chuckled. "Typical you." She said, laughing. 


We spent the rest of the time together until eventually, I went to see her off cause she was going on a date with her mom. As for me, I had another class.

 

"Eun sunbae!" I turned at the call of my name. I smiled in an instant waving to a close acquaintance of mine. We belong in the same club. "Hi. " I greeted him when he approached me. He bowed his head and smiled. "I thought I told you many times that you can call me Eun. We're the same age." I said to him. "You're still my senior. I'll call you by your name when I want to." He said, chuckling. I nodded and smiled at him. Ah, Seungkwan. What a happy dude. 

"Anyway...there are rumors going around about you and a certain someone..." He said. I rolled my eyes. I pressed the button for the elevator and waited for it beside him. "Is everyone that interested in that? I wish they'd let me leave the room at least before gossiping and stuff." I said, not failing to show how annoyed I am with the sudden attention I'm getting. "Just the girls who like him. I mean, everyone pretty much knew already. Haesung sunbae is really not good at hiding his, hmm, crush..on you." He said, grasping his books tighter to his chest. I shook my head at him. Taking 2 of his books, He let out a silent thank you before we both got inside the elevator. 

"I don't want to be bullied...in college." I said, quietly but enough for him to hear. "Girls...can be really scary. Especially jealous girls. I hope everything turns out just fine for you." He said, smiling at me softly. I returned the smile and rode the rest of the climb in silence. When it opened, I helped him to the club room and dropped off his books before going to my class. Before leaving, he told me something I couldn't quite get my mind off. 

"Don't be so cold on Haesung sunbae. It's not like he intended for any of this to happen. The guy is just innocently crushing on you."  

 

Putting the last of my things inside my bag, I stood up and left the classroom. When I passed by the door and out in the hall, I was again called from the door. "Eun." He said, grabbing my elbow. I turned to him in shock. It's Wonwoo sunbae. 

"Sunbae," I said, acknowledging his presence with a small bow. "Can I...uhmm. Are you out to get lunch?" He asked. I nodded my head. "Can I...go with you?" He asked, looking away then back at me. I held back my growing smile and asked him, "This is not a date right?" he smiled and chuckled. "If this was, I'd be asking you to join me instead." He said. Good point. "Ok. But in one condition." I said, placing my hands on top of each other. 

"What is it?" He asked. I kept my eyes narrowed, hesitating if he would oblige. "You have to make the talking go away cause...." I paused and twirled my finger. Silently telling about all the people looking at us and whispering. "Ah." He replied shortly. "Hold on then." He said, winking at me and going to someone to whisper something for a moment. The guy in turn, raised his hands, catching everyone's attention. 

"Class rankings are out downstairs!" He shouted. Immediately, everyone was running and racing downstairs. My brows furrowed at Wonwoo sunbae, but he just smiled and raised his hand, asking me to walk before him. 

 

"What's with that?" I asked as we left the building, passing by all our classmates who were looking at the bulletin board. "Everyone's grade conscious." He said, laughing. I laughed as well, realizing how true his words were. "Sunbae, do you want to eat something else?" I asked. Bipolar much? This morning I was avoiding him and now I'm asking him what he wants for lunch. My period must be close...

"I'll eat anything. I'm simply tagging along." He said, smiling. I thought for a while and decided to just go with my original plan. I shouldn't even be thinking so much about this, he's just a senior...who happens to like me. Wow. Ok. I should stop thinking about this. "Let's go to the cafe we went to before." I said, showing him a small smile. He nodded and offered to take his car there, with much persuasion on his part, I eventually agreed. 


"Oh right. Doesn't your friend work here? The one who was at school this morning?" He asked when we stopped in front of the cafe. "Today's her day off." I answered simply. He opened the door for me and let me pass first, and when we went inside, Jisoo-ssi waved my way and went to us. 

"Hey Eun." He said, smiling brightly at me and patting my head. I smiled back at him then turned to Wonwoo sunbae. "Sunbae, this is a close oppa of mine," I said pointing to Jisoo-ssi. "Nice to meet you. I'm Hong Jisoo." He said, bowing his head. "I'm Jeon Wonwoo. I'm a senior of Eun." He smiled. "Yes. I recognize you from your last time here." Jisoo-ssi said. I gave him a look telling him to not make him uncomfortable and naturally, he got it. "Well. I'll leave you two to pick your order then." Jisoo-ssi said, gesturing to me to go to him later after we've decided. 


"He seems nice." Wonwoo sunbae said as he browsed the menu. "He is. He's like a big brother of mine."  I said, also browsing through the menu. "I honestly thought that you didn't have that many friends." He laughed all of a sudden. Placing down the menu, I looked at him in a curious manner. "Well. Compared to you, I do have a small circle." I said. He slowly lowered the menu as well, looking at me. "Am I...a part of that circle?" He asked. 

"Well yeah. Or at least I consider you to be." I said. Watching him smile and look down at the menu suddenly reminded me of Daniel oppa. He used to smile a lot like that before we became..us. Snapping me out of my thoughts, he called me. 

"Eun?" "Yes?" I said, looking at him. "I noticed, you didn't get shocked when I introduced myself as Wonwoo earlier."  He said. Oh...right...he thinks I still know him as Haesung. "I asked about you. Some girls from our class said that you're actually Jeon Wonwoo and that Haesung is just a nickname given to you." I said shrugging my shoulders. He smiled that shy smile again. "And here I started to lose hope that you didn't have any interest in me whatsoever." He said quietly, but audible enough. 

"You want me to be honest with you?" I asked. He looked at me, meeting my eyes, then he raised a brow and tilted his head. "I asked about you because I felt guilty that you've been...crushing on me. And that I didn't even know a single thing about you. Turns out that the one thing I actually knew about you was in fact, wrong too." I watched as his face turned in to an unreadable expression. "Oh." Was all that he said. He chuckled and looked down, not meeting my eyes at all. "That's very blunt of you." He said. 

"I don't..intend to impress you either sunbae. I'm sorry if I'm this way."  looking down, I noticed that we had to place our order. "Uhmm. I could order for us, do you still want to eat?" I asked. "I'll have what you're having." He said, looking up at me and smiling blankly. I nodded my head and silently stood up to the counter. 

"You have that same look you had last time he was here." Jisoo-ssi said as soon as I approached him. I sighed. "How do I even deal with this? It's just so weird." I said. Earlier I was avoiding him, then I let him join me for lunch, and now I just made things awkward. What is wrong with me? Should I just go back to shutting people out? I really don't want to deal with this. 

"If you're thinking of running away or hiding somewhere, forget about it," Jisoo-ssi said, breaking me out of my thoughts. He gets me so much. "I just made things awkward. I don't know how to talk to him." I confessed. "Do you want to be friends with him? Or do you want him out of your life?" He asked, looking at me. "I think I still want him to be my friend. He's nice. And he's fun to be with. I mean, all was that before he told me he liked me so I guess I have to cut him out." I said. It is the right thing....right? It feels wrong though. 

"Then be his friend. So what if he likes you? He knows he can't have you already but he's still here. Maybe he also wants to be your friend." "But he told me he wasn't going to give me up just because I have a boyfriend. Isn't avoiding him the right thing to do?" Jisoo-ssi sighed and let out a small chuckle. "You're really stubborn." "I know," I replied smiling. "It's still your call. You decide what to do with him." He said. I sighed once again. "So. Are you still going to eat?" He asked. I chuckled and nodded. After placing in our order, I turned to walk back to our table when the door opened and the bell jingled. My eyes widened at the people standing at the door. 

"Eun!" Ong oppa said, waving his hand at me. My mouth then gaped open when I saw Daniel oppa walking in behind him. My eyes shifted immediately to Wonwoo sunbae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter