Chapter 17

The Story of the Ambivert
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stared at the wall clock, ticking it's way by the second. Sitting on the chair just in front of the office door, I tapped my foot impatiently, and nervously.

Can that meeting take any longer?

I'm currently waiting for the dean of the music department to be done with the meeting he had to attend to. I checked my watch over and over again, to see if what the secretary told me was true.

Oh, whatever. I'm the one asking for a favor. 

Right then, the door finally opened and out came a bunch of students. The secretary looked my way and told me that I could enter, so I did. 

"Good Morning, sir." I said, bowing in respect. "Oh hello miss. Please, have a seat." He said, smiling brightly. "So, what can I do for you?" He asked.

"I was wondering, if I could speed up my years for my degree in music. I checked the curriculum and I was wondering if I could add a few more subjects to my semester, then go full load next school year." I said to him, explaining what I wanted while he went through my files.

"You're the double major..." He said, making me agree. "Oh, is it because you're on your fourth year in health science?" He asked. "Yes..." I replied. "I went to the registrar's office and they told me I could get a full load after graduating from my science degree. That way I can graduate music in 2 and a half years." I said, only recalling what I had learned from registrar.

"That's true. But, getting a full load. Are you sure?" He asked. "Yes sir. I most definitely am." I said. He sighed while scanning my file a few more times. "Ok then. I know that you probably want to graduate earlier. After all, you're on your last year for your science degree while just on your first for your music degree..." He said, making me nod and smile. 

"If I knew this idea wasn't possible, I wouldn't have pushed it either." I said to him, making him nod his head and smile a little. "But for the sake of you graduating early, maybe we can indeed put this thing in to action." He smiled. He's such a friendly looking man, almost like a father totally smitten for his children. 

"All subjects are offered every year. It would just vary depending on the school term."  He started. "Since you're on your 4th year, you have 3 courses on science right now. And you're currently taking 2 music courses?" He asked, asking for confirmation if he read my schedule right. In which, he did. 

"I think that we can apply the full-loading next school term. If you add subjects now, it'll be too exhausting." He said. "I know because I teach in Music. And there's a reason why it takes a person, 4 whole years to finish. The requirements are indeed....needy." He said, looking at me like if I knew what he was talking about. Which I did. 

Courses in music require submitting a song composed by you, or making lyrics and submitting it 2 weeks after assigning. It basically makes you squeeze all the juicy ideas from your brain.

"So, summing it all up. Full-loading will be done next term." He said to me. I nodded my head and bowed, agreeing to what he proposed. "Thank you, dean." I said. "Oh don't worry about it. I'm glad I could help." he said, waving his hand. He's incredibly friendly and easy-going. Wow. What a person. 

With that talk done, I excused myself and left. Not forgetting to thank him for his advice. I also bowed to the secretary on my way out of the music department. Walking towards the science building, I saw my friend Seungkwan also on his way to the same building. I ran to him and patted his shoulder, making him turn to me in shock.

"Hi Boo." I said, smiling. He placed a hand to his chest and let out a breath. "You genuinely scared the creep out of me." he said. "It's even dark." He added. I laughed at his reaction and helped carry the box he was carrying to the club room. 

"What's all this for?" I asked. "We're making art pieces to donate to a children's shelter." He said. "What? We have that in our club?" I asked, grinning. The excitement washed over me at the thought of making art pieces. He looked at me weirdly while nodding his head. "How come I don't know?" I asked. "It's been decided just yesterday. Wonwoo sunbaenim is going to announce it later afternoon." He said. Ah. Wonwoo...sunbae.

I tried not to show the sudden discomfort I felt when his name was brought up. The whole weekend bothered me so much I had to make a 16-hour round trip to Dahyun's place. The phone call just couldn't cut it. 

While we stayed in the club room waiting for the rest of our members, I silenced myself to a corner while totally being invisible to the others in the room. I laid my arms on top of the table and placed my head over it, bringing out my phone. 

I stared at my lock screen, which was a picture of Daniel oppa. Gosh. How dreadful and exhausting the weekend was. I felt so thankful for Dahyun for reassuring me of my feelings for this guy.

She showed me all the good points of Daniel oppa that for a moment there, I was falling head over heels for him again. And then she brought up Wonwoo sunbae. 

They are, in many ways similar. But the main difference is that I love Daniel oppa and I don't think that changed. 

As for Wonwoo sunbae, and I quote, "You're probably just seeing Daniel in him that's why you feel that way." God, I hope so. He was really keeping his word about making me fall for him. 

But after that visit to Dahyun, It became more clear to me. 

Maybe I did develop feelings for Wonwoo sunbae...

But I was, and am, sure that I love Daniel oppa.

As much as I don't want to admit it, the reality is that maybe we both can change our feelings in the future. We made promises and all, but that can never guarantee the future. 

After all, they're words that have been said in the present. 


Breaking me out of my trance, the knock on my table made me turn my head up. Speak of the devil.

"Is your boyfriend not gonna get jealous with Kang Daniel as your screen?"  Wonwoo sunbae said, taking the seat in front of me. Ha. If only he knew... I didn't even put this picture. 

"No, he's fine with it. He likes Twice, so I guess we're even."  I said. He nodded his head and let the topic drop. The last member of our club finally entered the room and we soon started our meeting. 


"So, if you know anyone in your class who can donate their art pieces by the start of the next term, just let me know. You decide on your design, just as it's applicable for the children's cancer treatment facility."  Wonwoo sunbae said, summing up our meeting. Art pieces...I'm definitely donating. 

"That's all, you can go." He announced. Everyone started packing their own things, including me who didn't have much to pack. One by one, the people left the room and I did too. Brave enough, I decided to wait for Wonwoo sunbae, since we were having the same next class.

"Oh. You waited for me." He pointed out, trying to hide his smile. "Ha ha, we just have the same class, that's all," I said. He nodded his head silently, still failing to hide his little smile. So much like Daniel oppa...

"Eun. Can I ask you something?" He started. I turned to him and nodded, urging him to tell."Why do you call me sunbae? We're both 4th years."  He asked. "Oh. Well, you're older than me. And I just got used to calling you that. And technically, you are a term ahead of me. So..." I said. The sudden question made me realize why do I indeed call him that. I started blurting whatever first came in to my mind which made me think hard if I was using the right term to address him. 

"You can call me oppa, you know." He said. Then, I laughed. "I think sunbae is fine." I said. It's good enough you're trying to snatch me boy, don't make me call you that. "I think oppa is better. That way you won't feel uncomfortable when we're together, don't you think?" He asked, raising a teasing brow. I narrowed my eyes at him, backing up a little. How sly. 

"Wonwoo sunbae," I said. "Wonwoo oppa." He replied. "Sunbae." "Oppa." "Sunbae." "Sunbae." "Oppa." Dammit. 

He smiled at me, raising an ok sign at me. "Much better." He said. "keep calling me that, okay?" He asked again. "Ugh. Whatever." I said, waving my hand in front of him. For a split second there, he glared at me with his already narrow sharp eyes. That made me, well, a little bit, obey. "Whatever, oppa," I replied.


"Oho. What's this?" One of the male students in our class said when I entered the classroom with Wonwoo oppa. "Shut it, Soonyoung." Wonwoo oppa said, giving him a stare. The mentioned man immediately zipped his lips and let us be. I sat at the middle row, as I would usually do, except this time, Wonwoo oppa sat beside me. Soonyoung sunbae also sat beside us, him just in front of me. We didn't exchange many words because a few minutes later, Dr. Lee arrived and immediately started our lecture. 

"Psst. Psst." I looked in front of me and saw a folded note. Looking up I saw Soonyoung sunbae turned to me
 He was pointing at the folded note and signaled me to read it, so I did. 

"Are you two dating?" It read. I curled my brows, looking at Soonyoung sunbae and shaking my head no. "Why not?" He whispered. We caught Wonwoo oppa's attention, making him raise a finger to his lips, telling us to be quiet. But Soonyoung sunbae is persistent. He handed me another note after he scribbled on it so fast. 

"Don't you think my boy is a catch?" he asked. I smiled at the note, trying to hide it of course just so I wouldn't grab Dr. Lee's attention. This sunbae is silly. I wrote my answer at the bottom part of the note then gave it back to him. 

"Sunbaenim, please listen to the lecture. It's not that boring when you actually listen to him." I said to him. He turned to me and laughed making me smile back. He's silly and funny. I like this guy. Haha. For the rest of the class, we actually tried to pay attention. Doctor Lee talked about the common illnesses happening in Africa in young children. Just listening to it breaks my heart. 

"Let's have a 20-minute break before continuing the lecture. You may leave the room if you want." Doctor Lee said. Ah yes. "I thought he forgot that this was a 4-hour class."  Wonwoo Oppa said, stretching his arms. "Let's go out, I'll buy you something." He said, immediately pulling me up before I could even refuse. We left Soonyoung sunbae who fell asleep 30 minutes into class. The others didn't seem to notice us either cause they were busy with their own business, which is how things should be. 


"Pick." Wonwoo oppa said, letting go of my wrist when he stopped dragging me from the room and to the school cafe. I blinked at him then at the choices displayed on the monitors above. Uhmm. "I-I'll have a Mocha Frappuccino." I quietly said. "I'll have an iced cappuccino." He said to the lady behind the counter. I noticed the little smile she made when Wonwoo oppa looked at her. How cute. 

"I'll bring your order in 5 minutes." She said before we all turned around and did our thing. Us heading to a nearby table and her making our drinks. 

"I noticed you frowning earlier during Doctor Lee's lecture. Is something wrong? Did Soonyoung say something to you?" He asked. I shook my head no, laughing because Soonyoung sunbae's name was brought up.

"No no, it's not like that," I said, shaking my hands denying his assumption. "I was just thinking about some stuff earlier..." I said, reassuring him with a smile then tilting my head down. "You want to tell?" He asked softly.
He has a really gentle voice. Seriously. He should stop that. I easily give in to people when their voice is like that. 

"I was just thinking..." I started. "I'm living my life like this, spending money to no end, having a car bought for myself at my age. Able to eat and spend to my heart's content, while children from outside the country are suffering from malnutrition, poverty and just having a hard life in general." I said. I turned to him for the slightest second and saw how he was also looking at me while I talked. 

I looked away and went on. Not seeming to stop myself from saying whatever came in my mind. "But I believe that there are ups and downs in life, one may be suffering financially but they must be also well damn happy.  Another person may be extremely rich but has a bad personality. And some, have both riches and happiness, but are physically just not able to live normal." 

"You should be a humanist. Or the President. I bet you'll be so good at it." He said making me chuckle. "It's these kinds of things that made me stay in medical school instead. To at least help ease the pain and discomfort people are feeling." I said. He nodded his head, listening to me intently. 

"I just thought...If I can't fix myself, maybe I'm better at fixing other people."  I said, making him stare at me. "My mom said that exact same thing..." He said, catching my attention. I raised my brows, shocked at the coincidence. Huh. Weird. 

"And what about the stuff with music?" he asked, after snapping out of the trance built between us. "Well, despite my passion for humanity, I also have things I want to do for myself. That's why I decided to be a double-major." I answered. "I'm not good with talking. I always end up messing up my explanation or just simply messing up whatever I want to say." I went on, playing with my jacket's zipper. "I thought maybe I'd deliver better with music," I said. 

"But, you dance right? Don't people deliver stuff through dance as well?" He asked. I chuckled softly. He knows this stuff? Cute. "Dance needs intimacy. It requires a lot of physical movement or contact to let people know how you're feeling." I said. I was looking down the whole ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter