Chapter 2

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

Jinwook finally found his speech again when he and Wooseok sat in the younger's rusty, blue pickup truck, on the way to the hospital Kogyeol was taken to. He spoke the words that had been running through his head since he saw his boyfriend's lifeless body lying on the ice: „What if he dies?“ Wooseok gave him a quick side look before refocusing on the road. The last thing they needed was another accident.


„You can't think like that! He wore his helmet! I'm sure he'll be fine“, he assured the older. Jinwook wanted to believe his words so bad but the negative thoughts kept biting at him. Kogyeol had never gotten hurt to this extent. Jinwook knew that ice hockey could be rough but this was worse than anything he had ever feared.


„What exactly even happened? I was on the other side of the rink...“, Jinwook asked. Wooseok's face darkened again. „Hwanhee body-checked him too hard and he fell and just hit his head...“ „Is that why you got mad at him earlier?“ Jinwook asked.


„Of course! You don't go this hard at practice! I told him and the others to save that sort of stuff for our opponents!“ Wooseok exclaimed angrily. „Way to try getting off the bench for the next game...“, he muttered under his breath but Jinwook heard him anyway. Wooseok was team captain and he took his job very seriously. Jinwook had never seen him go off like he did earlier, though.


„Don't be too hard on Hwanhee. It was an accident“, Jinwook told him. He could imagine that Hwanhee already felt awful. The boy wouldn't hurt a fly, let alone one of his closest friends. „Will you still think that way if Kogyeol dies?“ Jinwook didn't reply as his insides painfully clenched together at the horrible thought. He heard Wooseok curse under his breath.


„...I'm sorry, hyung. I didn't mean to say that. He won't...die. I'm just so mad at Hwanhee...“, he apologized. Jinwook lowered his head and squeezed his eyes shut, hoping that all of this was just a nightmare.


„We're here“, Wooseok spoke up after a few minutes. Jinwook opened his eyes when the younger killed the engine and was forced to face the cruel reality.