Chapter 20

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

Wooseok didn’t look at Dongyeol on the way to the coffee machine in the lobby. They walked next to each other slowly and silently. At least until Dongyeol finally broke the silence.

“Did I do something wrong?” Wooseok shook his head. “You’ve been ignoring me since I came here”, the younger stated. He grabbed Wooseok’s wrist when he didn’t receive an answer.

“Would you talk to me?” Dongyeol snapped. Wooseok yanked his arm free. “Maybe I don’t feel like talking to you, okay!?” he yelled. Dongyeol took a step back at the older’s outburst.

“What did I do wrong, hyung? You were just fine this morning...”, he questioned. Wooseok huffed and continued his way to the lobby. “Everything was just fine this morning!” he said. “Then why are you no-“

“Jesus Christ, Lee Dongyeol are you really that ing dumb?!” Wooseok yelled and faced Dongyeol again. “I can’t ing stand it anymore!” Dongyeol was confused, to say the least. Why was Wooseok getting mad a him all of a sudden?

“C-can’t stand what anymore?” he stuttered. “You! With...with him! What’s so great about him that had you start liking him? Why do you still like him even though he rejected you only to go and make out with some random chick?” the older burst out.

Random chick? Hwanhee had never mentioned a girlfriend. “I-“ “Why can’t you see that I’m always the one who’s here for you?” “I know that! And I appreciate it. Why are you lashing out at me?” Dongyeol questioned in a desperate tone of voice. He was beyond confused.

“I’m lashing out on you because I’m sick of holding back! I’m done being a ‘good friend’! I’m in love with you and I hate seeing you get hurt because of Hwanhee!”

A silence followed. Wooseok was slightly panting after his outburst. He turned around to walk away and left Dongyeol behind. The younger wanted to follow him but he didn’t know what to say. How could he not have seen Wooseok’s real feelings? And how come the older’s confession made his heart beat faster than it was supposed to?

Hwanhee rounded the corner a few seconds later. “Hey, can we talk?” he asked. Dongyeol was still staring into the direction Wooseok had just stormed off to. He wanted to go after him but he forced himself to focus on Hwanhee.

“We never really got a chance to talk about the...um, the kiss...”, the older stated. Dongyeol sighed. Why did he have to get cocky earlier? Now whatever relationship he still had with Hwanhee was gone for good.

“I’m sorry, Dongyeol...as good of a kisser you are...I’m still straight. I hate to reject you like this because you mean so much to me but it’s just how I feel...”, Hwanhee explained. He looked so genuinely sorry and close to tears. “I hope you still want to be my best friend...”

Dongyeol looked at him. Hwanhee still wanted to be his friend? He smiled. “You know what? I’d actually really love that”, he said and the weirdest part was that he meant it. “Really? No hard feelings?” Hwanhee asked. Dongyeol’s smile turned into a grin.”No hard feelings! But listen, there’s something else I need to sort out!” he answered and jogged off with a: “See you! And thanks for being straight!”

It all made sense to him now. His feelings were crystal clear to him and he wanted to mentally slap himself for all the time he was just uselessly crushing on his straight best friend and that it took so much for him to open his eyes.