Chapter 4

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

„Doctor Park?" Wooseok called out after a doctor who'd just passed by them. „Yes?" the doctor asked and turned around to face the two boys. They were sitting on two of the numerous white plastic chairs at the sides of the long corridor.

„We're here because of Go Minsoo. Are there any news about him?" Jinwook was thankful that Wooseok did all the talking. Right now, he felt like collapsing or bursting into tears. Or both.

„Mr Go was treated and put into a room. It turned out that he suffered a head trauma due to his fall. We're not sure when he'll wake up. We couldn't detect any brain damage, though", Dr Park explained.

Jinwook looked at him. „You said you weren't sure when he'd wake up. He will wake up, though, right?" he asked; his voice was shaky as he feared the doctor's answer. „He'll wake up eventually. For all we know, it could take hours, days, weeks...even months. He was still lucky, though since his helmet protected him from a worse outcome", the doctor informed them.

„Can we see him?" Wooseok questioned. Dr Park nodded and pointed at the end of the hallway. „He's in room 301...", he said and turned to leave. The two headed for said room. „Oh right!" the doctor exclaimed, causing Wooseok and Jinwook to turn back to him again.

„Talk to him. It's very likely that he can hear you. Hearing familiar voices might help him wake up", Dr Park said „Thank you. We'll try", Wooseok said.

~

Jinwook had weird feeling in the pit of his stomach when he entered Kogyeol's hospital room. Wooseok reached for his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. „I'll wait outside. Talk to him first. I should try calling his mom", Wooseok whispered and left he hospital room again. Jinwook took a deep breath and walked over to his boyfriend's bed. He sat down on a chair next to it and just looked at Kogyeol.

He face looked peaceful. It almost seemed like he was asleep if it wasn't for the thick bandage around his forehead. His red hair gave a contrast to the white pillow his head rested on. Jinwook carefully took one of his hands and let out a breath of relief when it had its normal temperature.

"Hey...it's me, Jinwook...", he started, half hoping for Kogyeol to open his eyes and laugh. But, of course, he didn't. "Um...I don't really know what to say", Jinwook told him. "Except maybe...please wake up soon. I need you back here with me..." 

There was no holding back the tears at this point anymore. He'd managed to be strong as long as Wooseok was with him but now...

The cruel reality of the whole situation hit him like a ton of bricks. "I need to hear your voice again. I need to see your beautiful smile again...", he said, sniffling.

"You know, your smile was actually the first thing I noticed about you back when we first met...well right after your skills, that is", Jinwook said, attempting a smile. 

He remembered meeting Kogyeol about a year ago. He actually had Hwanhee to thank for that. For a lack of better stuff to talk about to Kogyeol, he decided to bring the story back up.

"I still remember the day Hwanhee practically dragged me to the ice hockey stadium..."

-Flashback-

"Come on, hyung! All of us are playing! At least give it a shot", Hwanhee begged. Jinwook shook his head. "Ice hockey isn't for me. It's too...brutal", he declined. Hwanhee pouted but kept dragging his friend along anyway.

They entered the ice hockey stadium where a few guys were skating around. "At least watch us practice once and if you still don't want to try afterwards you never have to come back", the younger suggested. Jinwook sighed. He knew that Hwanhee wouldn't give up.

"Fine! Now get changed! I'll go and sit down somewhere", he finally gave in. Hwanhee beamed before he jumped off to the dressing room. 

Jinwook went to find a seat somewhere close to the rink. The only way he could tell his friends apart with their helmets on was by looking at their first names imprinted on the back of their jerseys.

There was one guy he didn't know, though. According to his jersey his name was Kogyeol. He was in posession of the puck right now and Jinwook noticed how good he was. He seemed to be a pretty experienced player. 

Jinwook got ripped out of his thoughts when Hwanhee, who had joined the other guys on the ice, waved at him. The older smiled and waved back. 

Practice started now that Hwanhee was there. Jinwook had to admit that he didn't know all that much about ice hockey. He only heard his friends talk about it occasionally when they hung out together. 

But even though Jinwook didn't understand, he found himself infatuated by the game. Or rather, by Kogyeol. He couldn't stop watching him. 

I'll cut this here but the flashback will continue in the next chapter.