Chapter 8

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

“What do you kids want?” a man in a wife-beater asked Wooseok and Dongyeol. He looked like he hadn’t showered and shaved in a while and he had a beer bottle in his hand. “Is Kogyeol-...I mean...is Minsoo’s mother around?” Wooseok asked, unfazed by the man’s unfriendliness. “What has that -up of a kid done now? CHAEYEON!” he roared before pulling out a cigarette.

A woman with messy black hair and a stained night gown appeared at the man’s side while putting on a morning gown. “Wooseok...what kind of has Minsoo gotten himself into now?” she questioned. “He’s in the hospital. Ice hockey accident. I thought you might want to know”, Wooseok said, trying not to get annoyed at his best friend’s mother.

Kogyeol wasn’t someone who got into trouble. His mom’s boyfriends were the ones always labeling him a -up because he spoke up in front of them when his mother was treated unfairly. But she did absolutely nothing to stop them.

“Oh...will he die?” she questioned, not sounding shocked at all, though Wooseok thought he could see a tint of worry in her eyes. “No...but it might take a while for him to wake up”, Wooseok informed her. “Well, I can’t do much about that, now can I? Thanks for stopping by.” Her boyfriend was about to shut the door when Dongyeol spoke up.

“Shouldn’t you at least be concerned? Do you even care at all?” Wooseok dragged him away before Kogyeol’s mom’s boyfriend got a chance to hit him. “Come on, Dongyeol. You should really get home!” Wooseok warned. Dongyeol glared at the other two but luckily decided to keep quiet. They got into Wooseok’s car and started making their way to Dongyeol’s place.

“Seriously, how can a mother not care when her son’s in the damn hospital?” the younger exclaimed in disbelief. “She’s been like this for a few years now...just don’t get too upset. Her boyfriend won’t hesitate to knock your teeth out”, Wooseok advised his friend. Dongyeol gulped.

“Is that why Kogyeol always hangs out at your place or Jinwook’s?” he asked. Wooseok only hummed in confirmation. Dongyeol was surprised that he didn’t really know anything about Kogyeol’s background. He never talked about his parents but from what Dongyeol knew Wooseok’s parents adored him.

“What about his-“ “His father? Died in a car crash eight years ago. He never talks about him. I only remember him a little bit. He was a good father to Kogyeol. Since he died his mom has been ‘dating’ all the wrong dudes...”, Wooseok explained. It was as if Dongyeol didn’t know Kogyeol at all and that was kind of scary.

~

Jinwook was still sitting in the same chair hugging his knees to his chest and staring at Kogyeol. He had no idea how long he’d been here already but it didn’t matter. Every moment he’d spent with Kogyeol so far ran through his head. It was like a movie playing inside his brain. He didn’t know if it was more helpful or painful for him, though.

-Flashback- (the morning after Kogyeol showed up at Jinwook’s house)

Jinwook woke up, feeling warm and cozy. Kogyeol’s scent filled his nose. He kind of smelled like rain which wasn’t surprising but also like...himself? Jinwook didn’t know how to describe it but it was almost addicting.

He opened his eyes to find himself face to face with a sleeping Kogyeol. He still had his arm draped around Jinwook’s waist. Jinwook resisted the urge to touch the younger’s bruised but handsome face. Instead, he admired how peaceful Kogyeol looked in his sleep.

Suddenly, he stirred awake, looking back at a now blushing Jinwook. His lips curled into that beautiful smile Jinwook adored so much. “Good morning”, he said. “Morning”, Jinwook replied. He tried to back away to avoid making things awkward but Kogyeol didn’t seem to have the same plan. Instead, he pulled Jinwook closer. They stared at each other for a few seconds.

“Don’t slap me for what I’m about to do...”, Kogyeol said. He gently pushed Jinwook so he was on his back before hovering above the older. His lips were ghosting over Jinwook’s for a second or two before he closed the distance. One of Jinwook’s hands clawed into Kogyeol’s (well, technically his) shirt while the other rested in his nape as he kissed back.  

Both of them had chapped lips and Kogyeol winced a little at his busted one but it didn’t sting enough for him to care. Jinwook’s stomach made back flips and there was another feeling he couldn’t quite put his finger on. It didn’t matter, though because he was going to cherish this moment forever.

Their faces were only inches apart when they pulled back what must have been minutes later. “Is it corny if I tell you that I wanted to do this right when I first saw you?” Kogyeol asked. Jinwook grinned. “A little bit”, he said, causing both of them to laugh.

“Seriously, though. I really like you”, Kogyeol told him. “I really like you, too”, Jinwook replied. The younger leaned down for another kiss. This one, however, was way shorter than the first because they remembered that they had practice in 30 minutes.

-Flashback end-

Jinwook sighed. Kogyeol looked so peaceful just like he did back then. But he knew that the younger wasn’t just sleeping this time. Now, it could take a long time for him to open his gorgeous, brown eyes and smile at him at kiss him like he did that morning.

A nurse peeked inside. “I’m sorry. Visiting hours are over...”, she said apologetically. Jinwook sighed again and got up. Time had flown by without him even noticing. “I’ll be back tomorrow...”, he said to Kogyeol before he left the hospital room.