Chapter 16

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

So I kinda messed up and accidently updated Chapter 15 twice...so here's Chapter 16

 

"Mrs Go?" Jinwook called as he rang the doorbell repeatedly. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity a woman opened the door while tightening her morning robe around her body.

"I'm not interested. Go sell your stuff to somebody else", Kogyeol's mom snapped. She was about to close the door again when Jinwook spoke up. "Wait! I'm not selling anything. My name is Kim Jinwook. I'm Minsoo's...friend", he said.

Kogyeol had never told Jinwook if his mom knew about his uality. It probably wasn't good to accidently out him so he played the friend card. "And?" Mrs Go questioned. She opened the door again and leaned against the door frame. "And...your son has been in the hospital for two weeks now. He just won't wake up. The doctors say that it could take months...", Jinwook informed her.

"Why are you telling me this?" Mrs Go asked. Jinwook lowered his head. "Well...apparently the hospital's psychologists say that there might be a reason he hasn't woken up yet. They think that there might be something that's subconsciously keeping him from waking up. And I figured that it might be you...", he explained, looking up at her again.

Kogyeol's mom raised both her eyebrows. "Me? How could I possibly be responsible-" "You haven't visited him once. He might have felt that...", Jinwook interrupted her. "That's ridiculous. My son doesn't give a rat's about whether I come to see him or not", Mrs Go argued.

"That isn't true. He cares about you a lot. He just feels unwanted. Ever since your husband died you've been shutting him out. You let whatever man you have in your life treat him – and you – like crap! He hasn't been home in forever, have you noticed? The doctors say that a strained relationship with you, his mother, might make him feel like he's got nothing to wake up to..."

Mrs Go looked at him with an unreadable expression. "Do you really not care about his condition?" Jinwook asked. "You're crossing a line here, young man!" she answered. "I don't care! He's the most important person in my life. I want nothing more than for him to wake up", he told her.

"Could you at least give it one try? You don't have to say much. Just show him that you're there. Show him that he means something to you", he pleaded. Mrs Go sighed. "Fine. Let me just put on some clothes first...", she gave in. Jinwook nodded. She closed the door and he just stood around, waiting for her to finish.

15 minutes later the door opened again. "Let's go before my boyfriend wakes up", Mrs Go said. Jinwook led her to his car and opened the door for her. She snorted. "Why, aren't you a gentleman", she mocked him. "What can I say. My mom raised me well", he shot back.

She huffed but smirked. "I like you. You're cheeky. How come I've never met you before if Minsoo's so important to you?" she questioned. Jinwook shrugged. "He doesn't hang out at home that often, does he? And we haven't been tog-...I mean friends for that long...", he explained.

Mrs Go laughed. "Should've known. You're his boyfriend. Why didn't you say so?" she questioned. Jinwook mentally cursed himself for blushing in front of her. She seemed to be taking it lightly though so she probably knew.

"I wasn't sure if you knew...", he replied. "Well, I do know...he came out to me five years ago..." "Did you care?" Jinwook blurted out. "I care about my son, Jinwook. I didn't mind if that's what you're asking."
It wasn't quite what he was asking but he had noticed his boyfriend's mom's change in attitude. She seemed less disinterested in Kogyeol. She also looked different with jeans and a sweatshirt and her hair brushed and tied back into a pony tail.

"I know you think that I gave up on him. It's not like that, though. My boyfriend...let's just say it's complicated. They don't get along and he tends to get...aggressive." "You don't have to tell me that. Just...maybe re-think choosing your boyfriend over your own son. Especially since he needs you now", Jinwook said while focusing his eyes on the road.

They arrived at the hospital and Jinwook led Mrs Go to Kogyeol's room. She looked at him when they came to a stop in front of the door. "Do you want to come along? I haven't seen him in a long while and you're probably moral support for both of us...", she asked him.

Jinwook looked at her. She seemed really nervous and scared to go inside so Jinwook, having the big hard he did, nodded and pushed the door open. Mrs Go looked at her son and put a hand over while tears filled her eyes. She was like a completely different person from the woman who coldly brushed her son's condition off.

She carefully approached the bed and sat down on the chair that stood next to it. "I'm here, baby...", she muttered. "I'm here, so wake up now...please..." Jinwook hesitantly sat down on the other side of the bed. He felt like he needed to leave to give them privacy but Kogyeol's mom had asked him to be here.

"I'm sorry I didn't come here earlier. Jinwook is here, too. He was the one who brought me here", she told her son. Jinwook's heartbeat began to pick up in speed when he started hoping that his mother's presence might be enough for Kogyeol to wake up.

"You know, you're lucky to have him...he's trying everything to get you to wake up...and I have realized that I want nothing more than to fix our relationship once you do..."

Jinwook searched Kogyeol's face for any sort of reaction. If he heard his mom's voice, would he finally open his eyes again? Mrs Go lowered her head. "I'm sorry, Jinwook. I'm not sure if this is really working...", she apologized. Jinwook didn't want to accept this.

She was his last hope. If she couldn't make him wake up then who or what could? "We need to be patient", he said. Mrs Go nodded. "Please excuse me for a second...", she said with a choked voice and got up. She left the room.

Jinwook sighed and took Kogyeol's hand. "Hey...your mom cares about you more than you think. I know she made a lot of mistakes but she came here. I don't know her well, or at all, but I believe her when she says that she wants to make things right...", he told his boyfriend. He gave the younger's hand a light squeeze and closed his eyes for a second, ready to accept the fact that psychology wasn't the reason for Kogyeol not waking up.

His eyes shot back open, though, when he felt his hand being squeezed back ever so tightly.