Chapter 24

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

Jinwook was asleep when Wooseok and Dongyeol came back. “That was a long coffee break”, Kogyeol stated, looking at his friends. Wooseok scratched the back of his head with a sheepish grin. “We talked and sort of lost track of time”, he replied.

Kogyeol raised one of his eyebrows. “Hwanhee said that you two fought earlier”, he informed them. “Oh...yeah...we talked about that too”, Dongyeol told the older. Jinwook shifted a little but he didn’t wake up.

“I heard Jinwook wasn’t doing so well while I was out...”, Kogyeol said and gave his boyfriend a concerned look. Wooseok shook his head. “He really wasn’t. He spent hours here every day. He wouldn’t have gone home at all if the nurses had allowed it...”, he explained. Dongyeol nodded in agreement. “But Wooseok tried to get him to eat and sleep...but I guess it’s safe to say that he was a wreck”, he added.

Kogyeol couldn’t help but feel a little guilty for being the cause of Jinwook’s current condition. “I know that look. It’s not your fault”, Wooseok said knowingly. “I know...but I still feel bad. I don’t want him to worry about me to the point where he doesn’t eat”, Kogyeol answered.

“He’ll be fine now that you are”, Dongyeol assured him. The older looked at Jinwook again. “We should go now”, Wooseok announced. “You need to rest and so does Jinwook. I’ll tell the others to come visit you tomorrow”, he said. “Alright, thanks...”, Kogyeol answered. “Bye, hyung”, Dongyeol said and got up to follow Wooseok outside.

“Do you want to do something? It’s only 3pm...”, Wooseok asked and subtly laced their fingers together. Dongyeol couldn’t hold back a smile at the gesture. “Yeah, why not. It’s not like I have a curfew anyway”, he replied. “Right. Have your parents called since they left?” Wooseok questioned.

Dongyeol shook his head. “But I don’t even care anymore. I’m used to spending my birthdays or Christmas or New Year’s or...anything, for that matter, without them”, he said, trying to sound casual. Wooseok saw right through it, though.

Last year, all Dongyeol got for his 18th birthday was a 30 second phone call from his Dad telling him that he transferred some money onto his bank account and that he should buy himself something nice. Wooseok knew that he suffered from only seeing them 4-6 weeks a year so he and the others had made it their task to look after him and be there for him.

“Let’s go. I’ll buy you one of those chocolate milkshakes you like so much”, Wooseok offered. Dongyeol grinned. “Do you know that I want to kiss you just for saying that?” he asked. Wooseok returned the grin. “Go ahead”, he said.

They stopped walking and Dongyeol quickly pecked his lips. He tried to walk away but Wooseok held him back. “Is that what you call a kiss?” he asked and pulled him back to connect their lips in a real kiss.

“I could get used to this...”, Dongyeol said when they pulled apart. “You will”, Wooseok promised. He took Dongyeol’s hand again and they proceeded to leave the hospital. The got into Wooseok’s pickup truck and made their way to a small diner near his house. He got a chocolate milkshake for Dongyeol and strawberry for himself.

“So I suppose this is a date?” Dongyeol asked in a cheeky tone of voice. “What else would it be?” Wooseok replied in the same tone.

“Can I ask you something?” Dongyeol questioned. “Sure.” “How long have you been, like, in love with me?” A cute blush spread on his cheeks at the question. “Hm...how long has it been...I think it’s been around a year and a half, maybe?” Wooseok thought out loud. Dongyeol’s eyes widened. “Really? That long?” he exclaimed. Wooseok chuckled at the younger’s shocked expression.

“Believe it or not, I’m pretty good at hiding my feelings”, he told him. “Still...that’s such a long time...I mean what’s so great about me anyway?” Dongyeol mumbled the last part to himself but the other heard it nonetheless.

“Everything...”, he replied. Dongyeol looked at him. “Everything?” Wooseok nodded, a smile displayed on his face. “Like your smile...especially when you did well at practice, your laugh, your face when somebody buys you anything chocolate-related. You have that certain childish cuteness but at the same time you’re mature and manly and...”, he trailed off.

He was blushing and he hated it. He hated how easy it was for Dongyeol to make him flustered without even really doing anything. Dongyeol, on the other hand, found it adorable to see the older like this.

“I still wish I would’ve realized it sooner. Could’ve saved us a whole lot of drama...”, Dongyeol admitted. Wooseok waved off with his bandaged hand. “Better late than never...I didn’t really think that you actually returned my feelings...”, he said.

“Well, I do...” Dongyeol looked at the older’s hand. “Does it hurt?” he questioned. Wooseok followed his gaze before he made a dismissive noise. “Not really. Jinwook insisted I get it checked. It’s just a little contusion...”, he explained. “How did that even happen? Did you punch Hwanhee too hard or is his face made of steel?” Dongyeol asked.

Wooseok explained how Hwanhee had dodged his punch and he’d punched the grass-covered ground instead. Dongyeol made a face. “Must’ve hurt”, he stated. Wooseok only shrugged. “Let’s finish our shakes and go somewhere else”, he switched subjects. Dongyeol nodded and took another sip from his heavenly milkshake.

A/N: Idk I kind of love the idea of Xiao being obsessed with chocolate milkshakes