Chapter 13

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

Wooseok entered Kogyeol’s hospital room that same evening. Jinwook was asleep on the chairs in the hallway. Wooseok sat down next to Kogyeol’s bed. Almost two weeks and no change. He started to worry if his best friend would really wake up.

“Hey, bro...”, he started. “I need someone to talk to and you’re my best friend so...”, he trailed off. “I know you can’t really answer me right now but I feel like you’re the only one I can tell...”

He took a deep breath before voicing what he had kept to himself for a long time. “I’m in love with Dongyeol...which is stupid because I just found out that he likes Hwanhee...” the name left a bitter taste in his mouth.

“I just kinda feel this urge to protect Dongyeol but I can’t tell him about my feelings because he would always choose Hwanhee over me, you know. I just don’t know what to do. Should I fight for him or should I keep holding back? That idiot Hwanhee doesn’t even know that Dongyeol likes him...”, Wooseok spilled everything on his mind.

“I wish you could give me some kind of advice... You know, I envy you. You have an awesome boyfriend who cares so much about you. But if I was the one lying in this hospital bed...who would be there waiting for me to wake up? Who would cry for me?”

Wooseok felt a lump building inside his throat. He didn’t mean to go into such a depressing direction. “I’m sorry...I shouldn’t just sit here and talk about my problems when you can’t even tell me to shut up. Just...you know, thank you for being my best friend...”

He got up from his chair. “Well, I gotta get home. I’ll be back tomorrow...”, he said and left the room. Jinwook was still sleeping when Wooseok stepped onto the hallway. He crouched down next to him and softly shook him awake.

“Hyung...” Jinwook opened his eyes and quickly sat up. “What’s going on? Is Kogyeol okay?” he asked, his voice panicked. “He’s fine. I’m sorry for waking you. Visiting hours will be over in ten minutes and I’m heading home. Do you need a ride?” Wooseok questioned.

Jinwook visibly relaxed. He swung his legs off the chair and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. “Thanks, Wooseok”, he said, looking into his friend’s eyes. “No problem. I’m always driving you home”, Wooseok waved off. Jinwook got up, his own tired eyes full of sincerity.

“That’s not what I mean. I know that Kogyeol is your best friend and this must be even harder for you than it is for me, considering how long you two have known each other. Yet, you’re the one being strong so that I don’t fall apart. You’re looking out for me even though I’m the older one and you probably feel like falling apart as well...I’m sorry for not being there for you”, he explained.

Wooseok smiled faintly and looked down at his feet. The next moment he let out a quiet sob. Jinwook reacted quickly by pulling the younger in for a hug. Wooseok clawed into his shirt as he cried onto the shorter male’s shoulder.

“It’s okay...”, Jinwook muttered while running his hand through Wooseok’s black hair. “I just don’t know what I’d do without him...he’s like my brother. I’ve known him longer than I can remember. I can’t lose him...”, the younger finally spoke up, his voice sounding thick, as he pulled out of the hug.

“And you won’t. We won’t. He’ll wake up any day now and everything is going to be just fine”, Jinwook comforted him. “But why is it taking so long?” Wooseok asked desperately. “I don’t know...but for now, let’s get out of here. If you want you can stay at my place. I feel like neither of us should be alone right now.”

Wooseok sniffled. “I have to get home. My mom is expecting me for dinner. But you could come along and stay over. You look like you could use a good house-made meal. Knowing you, it’s probably been a while since you ate properly”, the younger replied. “It actually has. Alright then, let’s go.”

Wooseok felt a little better after letting everything out. He’d bottled it all up subconsciously; even when he was alone and sure that nobody could see or hear him he hadn’t shed a tear. His friend’s accident, his one-sided love for Dongyeol...it weighed down on him and just now, Jinwook had given him exactly what he needed – a shoulder to cry on.