Chapter 18

White Night [JinGyeol x WooXiaoHee]

Jinwook opened his eyes when he felt a light squeeze on his hand. He looked at Kogyeol who moved his head a tiny bit before his eyes fluttered open. Jinwook wanted to cry. Was this a dream? A miracle? He didn’t know.

“You’re awake”, he whispered, not trusting his voice enough to speak louder. “Jinwook...what happened?” Kogyeol asked with a weak voice. “You fell during practice and hit your head. Wait, let me get a doctor. I’ll be right back. Don’t move”, the older said hastily.

Mrs Go stood outside, sniffling. “He just woke up! He really woke up! I’m getting a doctor!” he exclaimed as he stormed down the hallway. He rounded a corner and almost collided with Dr Park. “Good! You’re the person I was looking for! Minsoo woke up!” he told the doctor. “Really?” Dr Park asked, already following Jinwook back to his room.

~

Kogyeol was more than just a little surprised when he saw his mother enter the room. “Mom?” he asked. She smiled and came over to him, taking one of his hands. “Hi, baby...I’m so glad you’re awake...”, she said with tears streaming over her face.

“What are you...I mean...-“ The doctor entered the room, cutting him off before he could ask any questions. “Mr Go! My name is Dr Park. Do you know where you are?” he asked. “At the hospital, I suppose...what exactly happened? Where’s Jinwook? And Wooseok!” Kogyeol asked.

Dr Park smiled. “Slow down, there. I need to examine you first. You can see your friends in a minute”, he told Kogyeol in a friendly tone. “I’ll wait outside”, his mother announced and let go of Kogyeol’s hand. He watched her leave.

When the door closed behind her he looked at Dr Park and asked: “How long was I out for my mom to be here?” The doctor laughed. “It’s been two weeks. And your mom might have been the reason you woke up in the first place”, he explained.

~

Wooseok all but stormed out of the elevator and towards Jinwook who was pacing in front of Kogyeol’s room. “Jinwook! And...Mrs Go...”, he trailed off when he saw his best friend’s mother lean against the wall. “Hey, Wooseok”, she said.

“I hope you drove more carefully than you ran here just now!” Jinwook said in a half-stern tone of voice. Wooseok waved off. “You know me. I always drive carefully. Is Kogyeol okay?” he questioned. “I think so. The doctor’s with him right now...wait...” Jinwook reached for Wooseok’s right hand.

“What happened to your hand? It’s all bruised”, he exclaimed. Wooseok pulled it back from his grip. “It’s nothing...”, he assured the older. “Nothing, my ! Go find a doctor and have this checked!” Jinwook ordered.

Wooseok pouted and briefly looked at the door they stood in front of. Jinwook raised his eyebrows at him, silently daring him to argue. Wooseok sighed. “Fine...”, he gave in and waddled away to search for a doctor.

“Well, well, well aren’t you quite the mom?” Mrs Go . Jinwook chuckled. “I’m just looking out for everyone...” She smiled. “It’s good to know that at least one of us is capable of looking out for Minsoo...”, she said.

Jinwook blushed again. “Well, he’s looking out for me as well. And if you meant what you said earlier he’ll be back in your life soon”, he replied. The door to Kogyeol’s room opened and Dr Park stepped out.

“He’s just fine. His brain is fully functional and there should be no long-term effects. We are going to keep him here for another week or so just to check on him. He should take it slow for a while. No ice hockey, no lifting heavy things and nothing too wild in the bedroom”, he explained, giving Jinwook a side-look who blushed an even deeper shade of red at the remark.

“Thanks, Dr Park”, Mrs Go said. The doctor smiled and walked off. “Well, go inside...”, she addressed Jinwook. She didn’t have to tell him twice.