CHAPTER 5

THE WIND SPIRIT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sandara touched her forehead. She felt lightheaded. Why was the date 2066? Was it just a typo? It's only 2016! It's impossible for her to be in the year 2066. This must be some kind of a joke. A joke masterminded by that wind spirit!

 

 

        She took a deep breath and calmed herself.

 

 

        "Here's your water," said the man. Sandara said thanks, took the glass and drank every drop of the water.

 

 

        "I haven't introduced myself. I'm Dr. Kim Jaejoong," said the man.

 

 

        " Sandara." She again glanced at the computer tablet. The headline had again changed, but the date remained. She turned to the doctor. "What's the date today?"

 

 

        "September 4."

 

 

        "Year 2066?" she wanted to be sure.

 

 

        Dr. Kim nodded. Was he working for the wind spirit? Or maybe all of this was just a dream. She touched the computer tablet. She was surprised when it suddenly vibrated and then began to change its shape! It started shrinking until it turned into a two‑inch triangular glass pin!

 

 

        She turned to Sandara.

 

 

        "What happened?" she asked.

 

 

        "Sorry about that. My ESphone is already old so sometimes it malfunctions."

 

 

        "That's an ESphone?!" She couldn't take her eyes off the glass pin.

 

 

        "I know, I need to buy a new model. The new models produce a 17‑inch 3D hologram of a monitor screen. But I have grown used to my ESphone which turns into an old computer tablet model whenever I use it to research the internet or read e‑books." He took the glass pin and pinned it on his left chest.

 

 

        The sound of a bird singing suddenly came out of the pin.

 

 

        "Would you excuse me?" Jaejoong lightly tapped the pin. "Yes?" he said.

 

 

        "Doctor, this is Hoonie. I checked our records and videos of all our guests for the past week. But I never saw your latest patient with them. It's impossible for her to be among the visitors of the preserve. It's possible that she only got inside the preserve today when the poachers came. Maybe she was with the poachers and she got inside the preserve when the cameras had been tampered with! Do you want me to send security to your clinic?"

 

 

        "Thanks, Hoonie. I think I can handle an unarmed girl."

 

 

        Sandara suddenly found herself the object of scrutiny of Jaejoong's dark eyes.

 

 

        "So, would you prefer to tell me your story or to our security guards? I have already sent your DNA to the world database, so don't bother to lie. In a few hours, I will find out who you really are and whatever police records you have."

 

 

        Sandara found herself looking at the ESphone pin of Jaejoong. Such technology didn't exist in 2016. Such gadgets could only be seen in science fiction movies and TV shows. In fact, the pin reminded her so much of the communication gadget used in the movie and TV series called Star Trek.

 

 

        It had also become clear to Sandara that she wasn't dreaming. That wind spirit had brought her to the future. To a time where she was supposed to be seventy‑three years old. She suddenly realized that she was much older than Kim Jaejoong!

 

 

        "I can't remember how I got here. One moment, I was just walking toward the bus station and then, I lost consciousness. When I came to, I was already here inside your clinic."

 

 

        "That's a very convenient story, Sandara."

 

 

        "But it's the truth!" Or rather the short version of it. Sandara cut out the wind spirit in her story because once she included him, the cute doctor would instantly assume that she had lost her mind or she was on drugs. If there were still mental hospitals in this time, she would be immediately sent there if she insisted on the existence of a wind spirit.

 

 

        "The truth was, when I lost consciousness. And I have no memory as to how I ended up here in North Korea. Believe me, I am no spy. Please don't give me to the police authorities. North Korean authorities are not known to respect the civil rights of people, specially foreigners like me."

 

 

        Jaejoong frowned.

 

 

        "We are in the northern part of Korea but this is no longer North Korea. There is only one Korea. It has been years since the north and south have united. The north had collapsed. Due to hunger and poverty, the people rebelled against their government, and the Americans intervened. Almost everyone including grade‑schoolers knows this history. How come you don't know this?" There was suspicion on his voice.

 

 

        Sandara could make up a story as to why she was clueless. But she wasn't good at lying. That was her brother, Jinwoo's forte.

 

 

        "Are you with the poachers?" Jaejoong asked.

 

 

        "No! The only animals I have ever killed in my entire life were cockroaches. And those insects deserved to die, you know!"

 

 

        Jaejoong folded his arms across his chest and studied Sandara's face.

 

 

        "Your DNA profile will be matched to the worldwide DNA database. By tomorrow, I will know who you really are and where you came from. If you happen to be among those 10% that hasn't been put in the DNA profile database, your identity would be tracked down using the DNA of your relatives in the database."

 

 

        "I am not a bad person, Jaejoong! I am just an ordinary working girl when I encountered‑" what should she call the wind spirit? "a crazy, psychotic person who had a lot of air inside his head. That airhead was the one who gave me those wounds. My injuries were not self inflicted!"

 

 

        "I know. The numerous paper cuts on your back proved those cuts were done by someone else."

 

 

        "I also have wounds behind my back?" She grimaced. Whatever fear she had for the wind spirit had now been replaced by anger. If she could only grab the wind spirit, she would have choked him to death for doing those things to her!

 

 

        "I don't think you have the personality to harm or kill animals, Sandara. For the moment, I will allow you to stay inside my clinic and get your strength back. I was able to heal your wounds, but you lost a lot of blood so your body wouldn't be strong enough to move around or travel. Don't try to run or escape. You would just collapse, and there's no place to run because if you leave this compound, you might become the next meal of the wild animals living outside the compound."

 

 

        "T‑Thank you. And you have nothing to worry; I am not going to escape." Because she had nowhere to go. If there was indeed a DNA worldwide database, it's possible that some members of the Park family could be traced. Sandara quickly made computations. At this time, several members of the Park family who knew her before could still be alive. Mino would be fifty‑nine years old years old now and Jinwoo would be seventy. Those two could be occupying the highest position in the Park Corporation.

 

 

        "We will wait until the information about your DNA arrives. Or you could simply start telling me the truth."

 

 

        If her family could indeed be traced through her DNA, there would still be a lot of questions that would be asked about her. Maybe she should start preparing Kim Jaejoong into accepting impossible things. She took a deep breath.

 

 

        "You are a man of science, right? So, you don't believe in magical stuffs and events?"

 

 

        "I consider myself open minded. If you can prove to me that something so impossible is indeed real, then I will believe you. But, if that is about religion, each to his own beliefs. Korea is a country that tolerates all kinds of religion and beliefs."

 

 

        Sandara took a chance.

 

 

        "What do you think about time travel?"

 

 

        Jaejoong frowned.

 

 

        "It's a good plot for a book or a movie."

 

 

        "I mean, do you believe it's possible in real life?"

 

 

        "No. Because if time travel is possible then that will also mean that, anyone can go back in time and change history. Mistakes can be corrected. Or those who want to become the ruler of the world could simply go back in time and use their future knowledge to get what they want. But that has never happened because history cannot be changed. Whatever happened in the past cannot be changed because it is already over."

 

 

        "How about time travel to the future?"

 

 

        "The future offers a lot of possibilities and choices. But how could you travel into the future when that future hasn't been created yet? Only when the present occurs would future possibilities exist. For the future to exist, you must first experience the present."

       

 

Sandara closed . It would be impossible for her to convince the guy that she came from the past. It seemed she needed to invent a story he would accept as truth.

 

 

        "Where is your family, Sandara?"

 

 

        "Last time I checked, they were still in the Busan."

 

 

        "Give me their telephone number and I would call them."

 

 

        She shrugged her shoulders. She wasn't sure if those where still the same telephone numbers her family still owned. Maybe they had changed numbers or changed location. Despite this, she gave Jaejoong the numbers she remembered.

 

 

        "It's 630 4415."

 

 

        Jaejoong's jaw clenched.

 

 

        "Such telephone numbers are no longer used inBusan. They now used numbers and letters for their phones."

 

 

        "But that is what I remember!" she insisted.

 

 

        "You may not be a poacher or a killer, Sandara Park. But you are definitely a liar," Jaejoong directly accused her.

 

 

        Sandara gave the man a dark look. All the training she had undergone to keep her cool and patience while talking to irate customers in the call center went out the window. She could no longer control her anger!

 

 

        "I am not a liar!" she blurted. "If you really want to know what really happened to me, a crazy malevolent wind brought me here from the year 2016!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter