CHAPTER 2

THE WIND SPIRIT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

 

 

The alarm on Sandara's cell phone sounded at exactly five o'clock in the afternoon. Sandara opened her eyes. While regular employees were preparing to go home, she was just about to get ready for the day. She plodded out of bed and walked out of her room. She found her mother in the kitchen starting to cook dinner.

       

 

After grabbing a leftover toasted bread, she proceeded to the living room where their computer was located. She had a tablet in her room, but she preferred to use the desktop computer in the living room because of its wide screen. She began checking her e‑mails. Every week, she would send several dozens of application letters to different companies hoping to land her dream job. It had been almost three years since she graduated. Last year, she finally got to pass her board exam after failing the first time. She failed the first time because she was running a high fever.

 

 

        Every time Sandara checked her e‑mail, she kept hoping that a new job was waiting for her. But the three e‑mails she received were all rejections. The reasons where either there was no vacancy in their company or her qualifications didn't match their need.

 

 

        Sandara felt depressed. She wasn't stupid. She had good grades. And though she had to retake her board exam, the score she got when she passed was high! But it seemed when it came to getting the job she really wanted, there would always be someone much better than her.

 

 

        She felt her mother's hand on her shoulder.

 

 

        "There will always be a next time, Sandara! But if you really can't find the job you really want, why don't you start your own business? Maybe it is really not your fate to be an employee but to be a boss and an entrepreneur. Your dad and I will lend you the money you need so you can start your own business. On the other hand, there is still a position open for you in our family business. Park Corporation would always need a good accountant."

 

 

        Sandara smiled, The Park family was rich. Their company was included among the top 100 companies in all of Asia. The Park Corporation was founded by their ancestor more than a hundred years ago. Most of the members of their family worked for the company like her daddy. But several of their relatives also had their own business.

 

 

        "Thanks, Mom. But I want to test myself. I want to prove to myself that I could get myself a job without any help from anyone." It was also because of that pride that she continued to ride public transportation when her parents could easily buy her a new car. She wanted to buy the car herself using her own hard‑earned money even if it would only be a second‑hand car.

 

 

        "I'm proud of you, Sandara. For being independent and determined. You and your brother, Jinwoo , are the same and because of how you two turned up, the sacrifice of my career was worth it."

 

 

        Sandara studied her mother. Her mother was a college graduate but after getting married, she decided to be a stay‑at‑home mom to support her father and take care of her and her brother.

 

 

        "Mom, do you have any regrets?"

 

 

        Her mother smiled and shook her head.

 

 

        "No. I am happy with my decision. Because I remained home and turned my back from a career, I was able to raise both you and your brother well. Anyway, the moment Jinwoo finished college, I will be going back to work. There is a position waiting for me in the Park Corporation."

 

 

        This surprised Sandara.

 

 

        "That had always been my plan, Sandara. And it was part of my agreement with your father. But if you or Jinwoo would ever need advice or motherly support, I will always be here for both of you."

       

 

 

 

Sandara often left home by nine o'clock. She would then travel for thirty minutes to get to the call center. She usually walked the two blocks to the bus station. The walk served as her exercise since she also had no time to go to the gym. And she needed the exercise since she would usually sit the whole night in her cubicle and then slept all through the day. Jinwoo often as being a vampire because of her sleeping schedule.

 

 

        Sandara was still depressed because of the rejection e‑mails. She began humming the wind song. She was the only one walking on the road, so she didn't feel embarrassed. There was a strict curfew for underage people in the city that started at ten o'clock in the evening making the streets almost empty at this time. There were several stores still open but most of the adults were already glued on their television sets because of their favorite telenovelas.

 

 

        Sandara began singing the wind song. The streets belonged to her tonight and no one would hear her sing.

 

 

        "Vent puissant, vent puissant…" she began softy. She noticed that there was a full moon tonight. "Voulez‑vous écouter mon Coeur? Veux‑tu venir et‑" She stopped singing. She felt something hot on her chest. She quickly discovered that the heat was coming from the wing pendant of her necklace. She took the pendant out of her blouse. She was surprised to see it giving a faint glow.

 

 

        This was the first time she saw the pendant glow. Aunt TaeHee's words came back to her. She said that if you sing the wind song while wearing the necklace, your wish would come true.

 

 

        Sandara started singing the wind song again. The platinum color of the pendant began to change. It began to turn red! Was this magic? Or just a trick of the light because of the moon and the light from the post before her? And Aunt Taehee's instruction was to sing the wind song when there's a strong wind. But there wasn't even a wisp of wind in the streets.

 

 

        The pendant's color remained red. She continued singing the wind song. The pendant's color turned deep red, it had also

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter