CHAPTER 9

THE WIND SPIRIT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Year 2062

         

 

 

          Jaejoong was still studying in the university when he heard about the nature preserve being built by Park Conglomerates International on the northern part of the Korean Peninsula. After his graduation, the company was already in operation and was in need of a few more people for its staff and employees. The nature preserve was now known worldwide as Blue Nature Preserve.

 

 

          Although he still lacked experience and had just passed the Licensure Examination, He bravely sent his resume to the Park Conglomerates International. He made sure to put into his resume his experience as a ranger, before he studied veterinary medicine. He hoped his ranger background would give him an advantage over other applicants that were already experienced city or zoo veterinarians.

 

 

          When the company called him for an interview, he thought that one of the managers or an officer of the human resource department of the company would do the interview. He was shocked to find out that the CEO of the company himself would be interviewing him!

 

 

          Despite the total support of his parents behind him, he was still nervous when he finally faced Mr. Mino Jung, CEO of Park Conglomerates International.

 

 

          At fifty‑nine years old, Mino Jung looked like he was only in his mid-forties. The only sign of his age was the glasses he wore.

 

 

          The CEO greeted Jaejoong with a firm handshake.

 

 

          "I have been looking forward to finally meet you Jaejoong."

 

 

          Jaejoong smiled.

 

 

          "So am I, sir. You must forgive my nervousness."

 

 

          The man laughed and motioned him to sit on the chair before his large office table.

 

 

          "I have read your resume. And I can say that I was impressed with your credentials. It is very rare to find a veterinarian that used to work as a forest ranger. Most doctors usually like to stay indoors in hospitals and clinics."

 

 

          "I grew up in a nature preserve, sir. My father is a forest ranger, and my mother is an environmentalist. I became a forest ranger at age fifteen. I had to leave my job as a forest ranger in order to go to college and become a veterinarian."

 

 

          "I know all about that, Jaejoong," said Mino Jung interrupting his speech. "Let's talk about things that I still don't know about you and that you didn't write down on your resume."

 

 

          "What do you want to know, sir?"

 

 

          Mino Jung  sat back on his swivel chair and stared intently at Jaejoong. He felt like he was being studied. He tried to keep his calm. He wanted this job. This job was perfect for him. Aside from the large salary he would be receiving, he could really make a difference in helping and saving animals.

 

 

          "You're twenty‑five years old, right," said Mr. Jung.

 

 

          "Yes, sir."

 

 

          "How come you are still single?"

 

 

          "Sir?"

 

 

          "Most employers only look into the educational attainment and skills of their prospective employees. As long as their employees do good work, they don't give a damn about the other facets of their employees' lives and personality. I am not like that. I want to know who a person really is. A man who is intelligent and skillful but neglects his family is someone I will never hire. I prefer employees who love and protect their family. I believe that when a man is a responsible family man, he would also be able to transfer that kind of attitude towards my company. Park Conglomerates International is not just a business company, it's also a family, an extension of your own family. And when we accept a person into our company, we are also accepting him as part of our family. We also welcome his own family to the company."

 

 

          "You want to know, sir, about my family?"

 

 

          "I already know about them. I had them checked out. What I want to know is why you remain single. At your age, you should at least have a girlfriend or boyfriend," he laughed. "We don't judge ual preferences here, as long as you are faithful to your partner and you don't play around with their emotions."

 

 

          He felt like he was applying to be part of a reality show than to work as a veterinarian in a nature preserve.

 

 

          He took a deep breath. It was important that he should get the job.

 

 

          "I used to have a girlfriend, sir. We were in a relationship for four years. But we broke up because‑"

 

 

          "Of a third party?"

 

 

          "You could say that Bambi was a third party."

 

 

          The CEO raised an eyebrow. Jaejoong quickly explained.

 

 

          "Bambi was a cat, sir. A stray cat that I found while I was on my way home to the apartment I share with my girlfriend, Krystal."

 

 

          "You and your girlfriend were living together?"

 

 

          He nodded.

 

 

          "We plan to get married after graduation."

 

 

          "How did Bambi cause your break up with your girlfriend?"

 

 

       

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter