Chapter 20

Dilemma
Please log in to read the full chapter

I followed the doctor and five other nurses , along with Taehyung , as they rushed to the surgery room . The big opaque glass door closed to our nose, Taehyung and me .
Why is this happening now , out of all times ?
I sat on the ground , pictures flashing in front of me . Pictures of her lying on the ground , in Taehyung’s arms , both in a lake of blood . I recall the huge stain of thick red blood on her chest , fading to a lighter color the farther it got from her heart . I recall Taehyung’s face , holding her against his belly , a confused and frightened look covering his features . The last thing i recalled was him crying , bringing Abigail up in the talk when I rushed in and asked him what happened .
I look up and find him sitting on the ground , right before me . In the same exact position I was , arms hugging knees against his chest , eyes fixed on the ground . He definitely saw it all . He must be in chock .
“Who’s Abigail ?” He finally said .
I pause for a moment : “ My ex.”
“What ?” He snapped quickly getting on his knees . “What did you say ?” He asked pausing for a moment .
I didn’t notice when it came , but his fist had already broken my nose .
“You motherer !!” He yelled again violently fighting me further . “You f-damned bastard !” He screamed throwing his spit all over my face . I was under him , on the ground . His face was about to explode , I was wondering how he could still see with all the tears in his eyes . “It’s all because of you !” He continued .
It hurt , the fists he gave me . I try to fight him back but I couldn’t , I was too mentally weak to do it .
Sooner , nurses gathered around us trying to get him off me . Two well built men , probably just some patient’s family , got him off me ,as he still fought his way to get his hands on me .
“You er !!! Do you know what that said ? She said she stabbed her as a revenge , because you broke up with her for Amani .” He yelled again , forcing himself off the two men’s grips and starting to walk away .
“ She said you never broke up with her , actually .” He stopped to continue . “ She’s taking revenge of you .” He paused . “ And at what cost ? Amy’s life !” He angrily cried . “If she dies , I hope you don’t survive the guilt !” He finished leaving me alone, stuck in guilt . 
“Come here , sir .” Offered a nurse offering his hand . I take it , as I had no strength to hold myself up . He helped reach the chairs in the waiting room and offered some water that I gladly took, while he took care of my nose.

******

The last thing I remember was drinking water that some nurse offered . I look around and everything came back . Amy ! I rush leaving the waiting room to the surgery room that I found open . Where is she ? I look around for Taehyung , but he was nowhere to be found .
My feet led me to the reception desk where two young nurses sat , immersed in their screens .
“Excuse me , Miss Amani Brown ? She was having a surgery earlier , but I can’t find her .”
“You mean the young girl who got stabbed ?” She smiled . How ironic .
“Yes , yes , that’s her .”
“And who are you , sir ?”
“I’m her b… fiancé .”
“Oh . Sorry sir .” She apologized . “She got a heart implant this afternoon , she’s under observation right now . The surgery was a success .”
“This afternoon ? What time is it , now ?”
“It’s . .” She paused checking her screen . “ Eight twenty three , sir .”
“Oh . . It looks like I slept . I was in the waiting room , nobody woke me .”
“We noticed you were asleep , sir , but we weren’t sure who you were here for .” She smiled again . Annoying .
“But wait . .  I never checked her in . How come she got such an expensive surgery when nobody checked her in .”
“Her cousin checked her in . Such an amazing cousin .” Her face fell into a serious look.
“Cousin ?”
“Yes .” She paused . “ Mister Kim Taehyung . He’s an amazing man . Nobody would’ve done anything like that , for anyone . It looks like he loved her alot .”
“W…what are you talking about ?”
“Oh  . You don’t know , sir . He donated his heart .”
“What ?!” I unconsciously yell .
“Oh , sir . It looks like you didn’t know . Poor Mister Kim . He almost lost his senses when he learned that she needs a transplant as soon as possible , or she wouldn’t have the slightest chance to survive . He cried loads . He begged and gave us his credit card and threw the code for everyone to hear . It was a really heartbreaking scene . Unfortunately , there was no hearts available in the organ bank , hearts are usually kept in the main bank . We had to call away , the closest banks , but as expected , there was no hearts available . So finally we called the main bank, they said there’s a waiting list and they might run short of hearts before even reaching Miss Brown’s turn. Mister Kim asked for a blood test and the necessary checkings, and didn’t hesitate one second to donate his heart when he learned his heart was in good health and she would have a good chance to survive with it . He signed the paper without even thinking and the surgery was done immediately after . It would’ve been really sad if the surgery didn’t work .”
“But .. H..how about Taehyung ? Is he dead now?” I ask , barely finding the strength to move my lips .
“I’m not sure . He’s still in the surgery room . Miss Brown , as I said , was put under observation earlier , but the doctors are still with Mister Kim inside the surgery room .” She paused . “ It looked like he really did love her . He made It clear that his life would have no meaning without her . I’m sorry to say that knowing you’re her fiancé , but honestly ,  I hope someone loved me half as he loved her .” She sighed , tears reaching out .
“But . . . how about an artificial heart ? W . .”
“That’s obviously what the doctors inside must be wondering about right now .” She interrupted .
“The money left in his bank account wasn’t enough when we tried to charge the cost of the

Please log in to read the full chapter