Overwhelmed

Time Flies

Chaeyoung walked to her class slowly, still contemplating on whether or not she should approach Mina like Tzuyu had suggested to her. How was she even meant to broach the topic? With a simple ‘we need to talk?’ or maybe take her somewhere else to discuss things? Argh, she was frustrated thinking about a method – she’d spent a lot of her time at night pondering and was now a walking zombie. Could she just put her head down on her desk and fall asleep?

As she walked inside the classroom, Mina hadn’t come inside yet so the least Chaeyoung had was a few minutes. Moving to the back of the class, she stacked up her bag and books in front of her and put her head on the table. She’d drifted off to sleep as soon as she put her head down and she was glad for that in the moment. But her glee was short lived as her mind dived into her memories she didn’t want to recall.

Mina had walked in, eyes searching for Chaeyoung immediately. She was going to make sure she talked to her today. She frowned when she didn’t spot her, huffing and sitting down at her desk. When the class had finally settled down, she noticed the stacked books and bags at the back of the room. Mina knew it was Chaeyoung and she shook her head, knowing that she still hadn’t changed from when they were in high school.

It was Chaeyoung and Mina’s third anniversary since they’d gotten together and the two of them couldn’t be happier. Their love for each other grows more and more each day they spend with each other and they were in bliss. Morning kisses, walks to the classroom, rooftop recess and lunch – they were the ideal couple of the school. Everyone assumed the two wouldn’t make it through one year but they’d proven them wrong.

Chaeyoung had to stay back late to work on a project after school and that meant that she couldn’t spend enough time with Mina for their anniversary. She was sulking and upset but she couldn’t do anything. She was in her final year of studies and graduation was coming up around the corner as well. She’d apologised to Mina countless times, so upset with the circumstances of the night but Mina had been quick to comfort her. She knew final year was always the hardest and she was okay with not spending their anniversary together.

“I’ll be fine Chae. I’ll see you once you’re done, okay?” Mina had said, ruffling Chaeyoung’s hair. Chaeyoung had kissed her cheek, ever so glad that she’d found such an amazing and understanding girlfriend to share her life with.

She’d received a message a little while after, Mina asking if she could go out with Dahyun for drinks – a friend of them both. Chaeyoung had agreed, already feeling guilty about not being able to do anything together.

The group work had finished later than she’d expected so Chaeyoung had run to a store to pick up cake to share with Mina once she’d get home. She’d snuck in quietly into their shared apartment, placing her keys and cake on the table before she went to see if Mina was home from her outing.

Her heart was shattered into pieces when she’d seen the sight in the room. She didn’t think she’d done anything to deserve what she’d seen. Chaeyoung felt like she’d been hit with a truck, the pain from the sight before her edging into her body. How could this happen? How could she do this? What brought this on? Millions of questions were running through her head. She didn’t expect this.

She didn’t expect Mina to be in bed with a stranger – especially in their apartment.

She thought that things were too good for them. She thought that everything was going too perfectly. Chaeyoung didn’t think that this was what was going to tear them apart. She didn’t think that Mina would ever be one to cheat. But seeing the sight before her, Mina, her girlfriend of three years, in an embrace with another girl? Where had she gone wrong in loving Mina that had led her to this? What had she done wrong? She thought they loved each other a lot but it seemed like it was never like that to begin with.

Chaeyoung didn’t know how long she was standing there but when Mina fluttered her eyes open, she’d broken out of her stupor. The usual calmness in her eyes had turned into rage and her posture had turned stiff.

“I didn’t know Mina. I didn’t know you were suffering so much because of me.” Chaeyoung laughed bitterly, confusing Mina.

“What–?

“I gave you all of me but it doesn’t seem like I ever had a part of you.” Chaeyoung added, looking over to the person who slept beside Mina.

Mina looked in her direction and paled, confusion etched on her face. Just what had happened? Chaeyoung had walked out of the room, packing her bag in frustration and annoyance.

“Chae, I didn’t do anything! I promise.” Mina cried out.

“You mean that seeing you in bed with someone else next to you means nothing?” Chaeyoung scoffed.

“I don’t remember anything!” Mina tried to explain.

“Well, I’m sure there’s a reason for that.” Chaeyoung seethed.

“Please Chae!” Mina sobbed, holding on to Chaeyoung’s jacket.

“I can’t do this Mina. I’m sorry for not being enough for you. I hope you’ll be happier with the new person in your life.” Chaeyoung whispered, tears falling as she left Mina behind.

 Chaeyoung was sweating profusely and her face had turned pale. The class had already ended, leaving her the last one to leave. Mina looked at her in confusion, not sure if she should wake her up. She gasped as she walked to Chaeyoung’s desk, attempting to shake her awake as she saw her condition.

 “Chae!” Mina called out, trying to make her conscious. Deciding to scrap the plan, Mina dropped her things on the spot, carefully lifting Chaeyoung on to her back as she rushed to the nurse’s office of the academy.

“Miss Myoui–”

“I’m sorry about this Seulgi.” Mina apologised as she burst inside the room.

“It’s okay, place her down on the bed.” Seulgi shook her head, rushing over to check on Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung was sent back into her dreams once again, recalling what had happened after she’d left Mina at their apartment.

She’d have liked to have believed that nothing happened between them. The Mina she knew wouldn’t do such a thing. The Mina she loved wouldn’t betray her. She’d never seen so much confusion on Mina’s face and that confused Chaeyoung. She’d noticed the lipstick marks on the clothes by her bed yet that didn’t tie in with the fact that Mina looked like she hadn’t been able to recall a single thing of what had happened.

Chaeyoung had never wanted to leave Mina in the first place. They’d spent three years cherishing each other and loving each other – one thing shattered them and broke them apart. She’d tried to push the thoughts of Mina out of her head and she’d moved out of town. She’d left with Tzuyu, Momo and Jeongyeon – thinking that it was the best thing for her. She couldn’t stay in the town where everything reminded her of Mina. She couldn’t stay when all she wanted to do was run back to their apartment and pull Mina into her arms.

What had happened had broken Chaeyoung. She had spent days blaming herself for not being good enough. She’d started drinking out of sorrow and heartbreak. She wouldn’t leave the house they all stayed at. Sure enough, the other three had had enough of Chaeyoung’s self-wallowing and attempted to get her back on the right track.

She’d never been able to date anyone else. Not because of a fear of commitment or because she was scared of being hurt again. She was still too in love with Mina to look at anyone else. Mina had her trapped and she couldn’t move on.

Chaeyoung had questioned a lot of things that had happened between them that night. She’d wondered what would have happened if she’d stayed and listened to Mina’s pleas. If she’d been rational and forgiven Mina. Maybe she should’ve listen to what Mina had to say and seen things from her perspective but it was all too late.

Mina stood by in nervousness, worry filling up her mind. She hadn’t forgotten to message her friends, telling them to inform Chaeyoung’s friends of her condition.

“She seems dehydrated and has a high fever. I’ll put up an IV for her and that should be enough for now.” Seulgi mumbled, bowing as she headed back to her desk.

Chaeyoung’s friends had tumbled into the room minutes after, worry etched on their face as they surrounded her bed.

“Is – is she okay?” Tzuyu whispered.

“She just needs some rest.” Mina replied, nodding.

“Thank you for bringing her here.” Momo added, bowing her head in respect.

“No problem.” Mina muttered, walking out of the room to give them time together. She sat by the door outside, head in her hands.

“Unnie?” Tzuyu called out, handing Mina a cup of water.

Mina muttered a low thank you, taking in small sips as the two maintained a quiet atmosphere.

“When are you going to tell her?” Tzuyu asked, breaking the silence between them.

“She doesn’t even want to look at me, what will telling her do?” Mina shook her head.

“She deserves to know and you need to stop blaming yourself for everything.” Tzuyu shook her head.

“It is all my fault though. If I’d just been more aware–”

“Unnie, you can’t blame yourself. Talk to Chae. Explain things.” Tzuyu advised, placing a hand over Mina’s shoulder to comfort her.

“Tzu, she’s awake now.” Momo had come out, informing her.

“Thanks Mo. Come on Unnie, you have to see her too.” Tzuyu smiled, pulling Mina up with her. Mina hid behind Tzuyu, not sure if Chaeyoung would want to see her in the first place. She’d walked in, clearing as she approached Chaeyoung.

“How are you feeling?” Mina managed to ask.

“Peachy. I’ll be fine.” Chaeyoung mumbled.

“That’s good then.” Mina replied, awkwardness hanging in the air. “I’m just going to leave. Take care.”

Tzuyu threw Chaeyoung a glare, indicating for her to do something.

“Stay… Miss Myoui.” Chaeyoung called out, surprising everyone in the room. A faint blush had found its way to Mina’s cheeks as Chaeyoung called out to her.

“Uh, I actually have to go meet my teacher!” Momo exclaimed, running out of the door.

“I should get some food.” Jeongyeon chuckled awkwardly.

“Homework.” Tzuyu smiled, running out of the room.

“I think we need to talk.” Chaeyoung said, nodding to Tzuyu as she closed the door and left.


A/N: I'm sorry for the late update~
I've been struggling to write anything at all and motivation has been low...

I hope you liked the filler chapter~

Sorry for any typos ⚆ _ ⚆