Challenged

Time Flies

Tzuyu walked out of her class with a smirk on her face knowing very well that she’d succeeded in flustering her teacher. She hated being questioned in the classroom more than anything else but she always did her best to give the correct answer. Sure, this was going to affect her relationship with her instructor from the beginning of the semester but she couldn’t just sit still.

“Why are you smirking?” Jeongyeon asked as Tzuyu sat down with the others after their classes.

“No reason. Just had an interesting class this morning.” Tzuyu chuckled.

“Interesting? , I feel like I’m going to be screwed for the rest of the semester! I couldn’t even bear to look at her in the eye.” Chaeyoung groaned.

“At least your instructor isn’t glaring at you the entire time you sit in front of her.” Jeongyeon scoffed.

“Nothing beats being ignored by your instructor – especially when you made out the day before.” Momo whined.

Tzuyu looked at them astonishingly as they all banged their heads on their tables. How was she going to mediate things this time between them all? The thought of talking to them individually crossed her mind but that would require a lot of time.

“Tzuyu, how the hell was yours so interesting?” Momo groaned.

“I just told her the truth about myself.” Tzuyu shrugged.

“What? That you’re so egoistical?” Jeongyeon teased.

“I am not egoistical!” Tzuyu huffed.

“Actually, Tzuyu isn’t that up herself; quite surprising.” Chaeyoung added.

“I’m right here guys.” Tzuyu shook her head.

“So what did you tell her?” Momo asked.

“I just told her how troublesome I am.” Tzuyu muttered.

“Great going Tzuyu. Set yourself up for a great semester!” Jeongyeon laughed, clapping her hands.

“I thought you’d be staying out of trouble this time.” Momo frowned.

“Of course I am. Just warning my instructor beforehand.” Tzuyu shrugged.

“How are you so chill with her, I have no idea.” Chaeyoung shook her head.

“Because I have no history with her.” Tzuyu smirked, the other three attacking her with slaps and punches as she said so.

Tzuyu ran her hand through her hair as she worked on her readings for the next class. She’d really expected things to be based on practical work rather than theory but if her instructor was going about it differently, she had to put in more effort to revise about previous content.

“Guys, do you all have theory work to start off with?” Tzuyu asked her friends who were busy mocking each other about their love lives.

“We’re going to go out to the virtual simulation area later on.” Momo answered, having Jeongyeon in a headlock.

“, what the hell.” Tzuyu groaned.

“You have theory work?” Chaeyoung cracked up laughing, holding her stomach.

“Mind you, at least I can look my teacher in the eye.” Tzuyu scoffed.

“Very well, that was a good argument.” Chaeyoung mumbled.

“I can’t do this anymore.” Tzuyu huffed, banging her text book close.

“It’s only the first day of classes.” Jeongyeon added, finally out of Momo’s grip.

“I just meant for now. Let’s go do something else.” Tzuyu muttered, getting up from her seat.

The four of them walked out of the building towards the basketball court, surprised with its presence in the academy. They were all part of their high school team and it had been a very long time since they’d played. Eyes lighting up as soon as they spotted a slightly deflated ball on the ground, they dropped their bags and rolled up their sleeves.

“2 against 2?” Momo asked, smirking.

“How about we just go through passes and dribbling? I’m in no mood to compete.” Jeongyeon groaned.

“B-o-r-i-n-g.” Chaeyoung teased.

“Uh, I don’t think we’ll need to decide.” Tzuyu said, clearing as they looked to where she was indicating.

A group of girls were heading their way with their own mini crowd and Tzuyu had to stifle a scoff. It looked like something out of a drama, really. Running a hand through her hair once again, Tzuyu stood in front of her friends.

“This is our area.” A girl called out.

“I don’t see your name anywhere.” Tzuyu retorted, raising her eyebrow.

“Look, this court is ours and has always been ours.” The same girl scoffed.

Tzuyu shook her head at the behaviour, a smirk present on her face as she continued to bounce the ball.

“Like I said, I don’t see your name here. So why don’t you girls go back and nothing will go wrong.” Tzuyu whistled.

Some of the girls, supposedly fans, moved across, lining up behind Tzuyu and the others. A smile found its way on their lips as the others tapped their feet impatiently.

“Why don’t we challenge you to a game, if this court is yours?” Tzuyu tested, waiting for an answer.

“Thought you’d never ask.” The girl shouted.

“4 against 4. Play fairly and according to the rules. First one to 20 points wins. Fair?” Tzuyu suggested.

“Fine.”

“Tzuyu are you out of your mind?” Chaeyoung whispered as they formed a circle by the other end of the court.

“We can do it. It’ll be easy.” Tzuyu shrugged.

“You can’t tell.” Chaeyoung replied.

“I can tell alright. We’ll be good.” Tzuyu smiled, patting Chaeyoung’s head.

“What are we aiming for?” Jeongyeon asked.

“Mo, you mark the red head. Chae, you’re with the brunette and Jeong, you stay with the braided one.” Tzuyu suggested.

They all nodded and smirked, agreeing with Tzuyu’s plan. What’s a little trouble on the first day anyway? It was bound to happen.

Sana’s eyes widened as she watched the basketball court grow packed. Her eyes widened further than possible when she noticed a familiar purple head amongst them all. She dropped her food down on her table and ran over to her friend Mina, asking her to look at the chaos before they realised what was happening. They must be insane to do something on the first day of classes. This was a flight school, not a basketball club. Groaning at their luck, Sana and Mina dragged Jihyo and Nayeon along with them, ignoring their pleas to let them go.

“Can’t we pretend that we didn’t see anything?” Nayeon whined.

“As much as we would all love to, they’re our students.” Sana scoffed, walking towards the field filled with cheers.

Unlucky for them, the game had started before they could intervene and were now left with watching it instead. Sana groaned at their situation but she pushed through the crowd, eyes searching for the purple haired girl who had her attention from the beginning of their lesson earlier. She seemed to lead the others with her, listening to her as she spouted instructions on where they should be.

Sana turned to face her friends, surprised to see that they were all staring at their own students, a hint of a glare from Nayeon otherwise all she saw was admiration. She was sure her own eyes reflected the same as she watched Tzuyu play. She couldn’t help herself but be happy when she scored a three pointer – she felt proud. The others patted her back as she scored and she pushed them away, running her hand through her hair. This wasn’t the first time she’d done it – it seemed to be a habit of hers.

She questioned her own feelings, frowning at the fact that she was more invested in one student than the rest of them. Tzuyu had her attention from the beginning of class and that was something that had never happened before, even with the most self-conceited ones. She’d gone through and looked at her application when the class ended and she wasn’t surprised that she was the highest scoring student of her year.

Her friends called out to her and Sana wondered why. She looked to them, then back at the field, only to see the basketball heading her way. She closed her eyes as the ball got closer, expecting it to hit her in the next second.

“Tzuyu!” Sana heard someone call out.

“I’m fine.” Tzuyu mumbled.

Sana opened her eyes, seeing three girls crowding around Tzuyu. The basketball was rolling in front of Tzuyu and the girl was holding her hand, grimacing slightly.

“Are you insane? Why would you aim for an instructor?!” Tzuyu shouted.

Sana’s brain seemed to fire as she finally had a chance to break up the game.

“Whatever is going on here needs to stop. This place is not your high school!” Sana shouted, walking in the middle of the court.

Tzuyu was currently glaring at an opposing member and Sana had to walk in between the two of them to sort things out.

“We’re close to winning. We can’t stop now.” Chaeyoung whined.

“You’re all stopping now. Everyone who has class, move now.” Mina scolded, Chaeyoung growing angry and walking away in frustration.

Jeongyeon and Momo were watching on, breathing heavily as they gulped down their water. Jihyo and Nayeon were unsure if they should approach them, looking at each other for confirmation. By the time they agreed to walk to them, the two girls had disappeared with Sana and Tzuyu being the only ones on the court.

“We have to go look for them, don’t we?” Nayeon groaned, walking away from Jihyo.

Mina had chased after Chaeyoung after she disappeared from her sight yet again. Class was bad as it was already and this made things worse. She’d never expected to see the girl again after their fall out. Maybe this was a second chance for her to explain things and what went wrong all those years back.

It didn’t take long for Jihyo to find the Japanese girl who’d she met a day before, nervousness creeping in her bones as she approached her. She’d basically ignored Momo in class and she had no idea what was going to happen if she spoke to her. She noticed the hurt in her eyes when she pretended that she didn’t know who she was but she couldn’t play favouritism. Jihyo took a deep breath as she tapped Momo’s back, bracing herself for what was to come.

Nayeon had given up on chasing after Jeongyeon, not willing to waste her energy on the girl anyway. She was sure she’d be fine wherever she was. Shaking her head as she walked back to her room, she packed her bag and got ready to leave for the day. A vibration in her pocket indicated a message and Nayeon was glad that at least Jihyo had found her respective student.

Tzuyu and Sana hadn’t said a word to each other, even if the court was empty. Sana was waiting for Tzuyu to get her breathing back on track and offered her a bottle of water which was blatantly ignored. Sana shook her head, pulling up Tzuyu’s hand to observe her injury. Tzuyu was quick to slip it out of her grasp but a glare from Sana was enough to let her look at it.

“Come on.” Sana mumbled.

“What now?” Tzuyu scoffed.

“I’m taking responsibility for your injury. It happened because of me, didn’t it?” Sana raised an eyebrow.

“I was trying to catch the ball, don’t get me wrong.” Tzuyu mumbled.

“Oh really? What about the ‘Why would you aim for an instructor’” Sana mocked, a smile forming on her face as she basked in the fact that Tzuyu’s cheeks had slightly grown pink.

“Whatever.” Tzuyu rolled her eyes, following Sana.


A/N: Please do not kill me. *sincerely begs*
This story is not my usual type and I know it seems like it's poorly written.
I'm trying my hardest to make this work since I really wanted to do this plot but I feel like I'm only disappointing you guys.
The story is currently hanging by a thread in my doubt filled mind because I don't know if I can do this.
If you guys have any thoughts of how I could improve it, please don't hesitate to comment.
It'll help me with the progress of this story.

Getting over with the depressing thoughts, I still hope that some of you like this story.
I apologise for any typos ~