Childhood

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jeongyeonnie, it's me! Let's go out!”

A little girl about 12 or 13 barged into a room and nudged the other girl who was still in bed.

"Go bother someone else…" Jeongyeon said and pulled the blanket higher.

"Hey, you promised! Remember what your grandma said? You should go out more with friends!" Nayeon pouted while patting the spot where she considered Jeongyeon's head was.

"I don't have friends." Jeongyeon mumbled and felt the stopped. She regretted as she realized what she had said. She kicked the blanket off to sit up and saw Nayeon standing beside the bed, hanging her head low.

"Fine. I'll go by myself.”

She turned to walk away and a figure blocked in front of her when she almost touched the knob.

"I haven't finished.”

The taller girl smiled embarrassedly and scratched the back of her neck. "I don't have friends. Other than you.”

Nayeon did not seem to be convinced. "Are you playing with me?”

"N-NO! What makes you think of that? Ah, never mind." She ran to the wardrobe and grabbed some clothes. "Give me 5 minutes. Don't go anywhere.”

"…Ok.”

When Jeongyeon first moved to this neighborhood with her grandmother after her parents had been killed in a car accident, she closed her heart, hid her emotions and didn't trust anyone.

"She's like a hedgehog, how do you expect me to help her if she doesn't allow anyone come closer?" The teacher once said to her grandma.

One day, Nayeon's mother made a lemon pie and sent it to their new neighbor's house as a welcome gift. When the two adults were chatting, little Nayeon scooted from her mother's side and ran to the backyard.

There, she saw a girl kneeling on the muddy ground, digging a hole with her bare hands.

"Hi, you must be the granddaughter! I'm Nayeon, what's your name?”

Quiet.

Silent.

The girl was focusing on her hands, but Nayeon was sure she heard her. She put two pieces of folded paper back to her pocket when Nayeon stepped closer like she didn't want anyone to notice it.

"What are you doing?”

No response.

"Hey, talk to me!”

No response again. She didn't bother to take a look at her either.

"Fine.”

Nayeon also kneeled down beside her and inserted her fingers into the moist soil. This time, the girl looked up and frowned.

"What are you doing?”

Oh, so she actually can talk. Nayeon ignored her at first as a little revenge.

"I'm helping you, can't you see that?" After the second questioning, she answered.

"Why?”

"Because you look like you need it, pabo.”

"Yah, don't call me that!" She hissed.

"It's not my fault that you didn't tell me your name." Nayeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter