Move on

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We are sitting together at the rooftop of her house. It's now near midnight but we haven't felt sleepy yet. The stars in the dark blue sky are so beautiful that we cannot move our eyes.

"Granny used to tell me mommy and daddy never left. They just can't stay by my side, so they are guarding me from above. See those two stars close to each other? It's them!”

"Your grandma was nice." She said with a smile.

"Yeah, but I didn't buy it at first." I shrug. "I mean, I watched their coffins tombed, they are lying underground, how could they be on the clouds?”

"So…that's why you dug those holes? You want to bury the letters you wrote to them?”

I flinch a bit but decide to give in. "…Yes, I believe they will read them eventually. Do you think I'm stupid?”

“Why would I? It's cute and heartwarming. Are you still writing to them?”

“No, not anymore. I prefer to talk to them directly now." I look up again. "When those two stars show, I know they are here and they are listening to me, so I just say whatever I want. Hey, you see that smaller star above them? I think granny's now there too.”

I then snuggle to her and point to the sky. "Which one is your favorite? That one, or that one?”

She turns her head and looks at me, puzzled. "I like all of them. Why?”

"Choose one! The one you like the most is your dad, you can talk to him right now!”

She suddenly stiffens and looks down on her knees. "Y-You don't want to talk to him?”I ask and when I see her depressed expression, I panic.

"S-Sorry, you don't have to if you don't like…”

She pushes me on the shoulder with tears in the corner of her eyes. "You never fight for me.”

Those words totally come out of blue, but I feel heartburn right away. She stands up and silently walks away from me. I want to grab her hand, but mine are too heavy to lift.

"Wait!”

I yell and trying to stand up, but I can't move my legs either. I can only sit at the same spot watching her leaving me.

"Wait, Nayeon! I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Please don't go, please……”

 

I jump up from bed with frantic heartbeats and soaking pajamas shirt. I sigh and bury my face in my palms.

I dreamt it again. I dreamt of our past again.

I don't even know how many times it has happened during the past month. Why am I still afraid of losing her? I already lost her anyway.

I walk to the bathroom and wash my face. The cold water always helps me calm down and clear my brain. I then look in the mirror to see the facial features which I haven't got used to.

"It's not about how you look, it's about what's lingering in your heart.”

I remember what my partner once said, I sneer bitterly. So what? I got none of them now.

 

*********

 

She sat in the car and stared at a certain someone from across the street. was subconsciously chewing the sandwich her friend prepared for her, didn't bother to take a good look at the fillings.

The girl had been in the shop for almost an hour and half. She must have a hard time finding those tools and materials she needs.

Correction, HE needs.

What kind of man will let a girl shopping alone at a hardware store? Does he really that busy? Then why he came up with this idea at the outset?

After a minute or two, the girl came out of the store. She quickly kneaded the paper bag and tossed it to the back seat.

The girl sat into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter