Slip

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Note:This is a double update, if you jump straightly to this chapter, make sure to read the previous chapter first :) *

 

“You nervous?”

On their way to the airport, Jung Taein reached to her hand and held it tight. “Me too. I haven’t seen him for a long time either.”

Nayeon caught sight of his tan and rough hand, hers looked smaller and vulnerable in his hold. Somehow her thoughts went back to the banquet few months ago, when Jihyo showed up with her partner, Jaehee. She remembered they shook hands when introducing themselves, the feel of her hand was completely different from Taein, she found it comfortable and strangely, it made her feel at ease. For someone who met for the first time, that did not make sense at all, but Nayeon just laughed it off mentally. Maybe we can be friends someday.

“What’s on your mind?” Taein asked, her left cheek.

“Nothing.” Nayeon curved her lips up. “I’m just wondering if Mr. Jung will like the dishes I prepared.”

“You prepared all by yourself, he has to like them.” He laughed. “And, don’t call him like that anymore, he’s your dad too. You don’t want him see you as an outsider, do you?”

“R-Right. Sorry.”

“Once we meet him…Well, we’ll probably meet his guards first, be sure to put on your most beautiful smile. That way, his impression of you will not be so bad.”

“…Bad?”

“Speaking of the guards…” Taein’s voice lowered with rage, clearly ignoring her worry. Nayeon felt the knot in enlarged out of anxiety and his sudden attitude altered. “He changed every of mine to his before he comes to Korea. I sometimes really doubt that he regards me as his biological son. After all these years’ efforts, he still doesn’t want to trust me completely and always want to control my whereabouts. See?” He used his chin to point at their driver. “Only Hyunseo was left to us. If he also replaced him with someone , I might end up slicing his neck.”

Noticing Nayeon’s stiff expression, he relaxed his nerves, the smirk re his face within only one second. “Hey, don’t be so serious. He put his rats around me, so I hired people for my own too. I’m sure they are not working for him.”

That was obviously not what she concerned. Knowing he was not going to answer her, she sighed and asked indifferently: “You hired someone new?”

“Yes and no. They are new as my bodyguards, but we’ve met one of them. She was Miss Minatozaki’s bodyguard with that Jihyo girl, I think her name’s…Jae…whatever.”

“Really? So you hired Jihyo too!?”

The excitement merely stayed for a second before her husband shot a glare at her. “Of course not. I only asked for her partner, she will bring others with her.”

“…I’ve always wanted to say this, Taein…”

“Don’t start it.”

His face became gloomy again but Nayeon did not flinch. “Why you hate Jihyo so much? Is it all because of the car accident six months ago? I know you were worried and upset because I didn’t tell you first, I understand at that time you might blame her for not being careful but you know it wasn’t her fault! I asked her to take me for a ride and that drunk driver…”

“It was her fault, and also yours.” His jaw clenched. “She took you out with her god damn motorcycle. If you want to go out, fine, let my driver drive you! Would your leg hurt so bad if you were sitting in the car? NO!”

“I don’t want to go everywhere with somebody’s help, I can go by myself and I want to have some time alone with my friends…”

“You’re really gonna argue this with me now? Great, I’ve been connived you for too long anyway.”

“What…?”

Nayeon winced slightly as she felt the grip on her hand tighter. “Do you know how much oppression I have been though to get my status now? It’s still not stable enough and if you can have good relationships with my clients, spending some times with those owners and officials’ wives, perhaps my clan business will develop more smoothly, but you never do that or only perfunctory.”

“What does that have to do with me? It’s your business, your image is…”

“You are mine, you should do for me! You are always working for yourself and when you’re free, you spend half of the day with Miss Minatozaki, with your bodyguard or composer friend. Sometimes that bodyguard even takes you out for all day while I stay home by myself! Have you ever considered the time I need to be alone with you?”

“I h-have been spending time with you, I…”

“That’s not enough! Far from enough! And except Miss Minatozaki, your other friends are no good for us! Are they daughters of entrepreneurs or plutocrats? Obviously no, they’re not worth for the time between you and me. I’m asking you to adapt my life because I’m thinking for you…”

“No good for us?” Nayeon swallowed in disbelief. “I think you mean no good for you. So that’s the real reason you hate to see Jihyo around me? That’s the real reason you always want to kick Chaeyoung out when she comes to our place? And my other friends too?”

“Honey, I…”

“I have suspected, but I always persuade myself that you will not be so snobbish. I thought you are rude to them because you are not good at and expressing yourself, I thought you’ll get along well with my friends eventually becau…”

“Wait, you said I’m snobbish? I’m rude!?”

Nayeon bit her lower lip and choked her words back. She could not communicate with him, the wrangle would never ended in this kind of uneasiness.

“Knock Knock”

The sound on the soundproof glass came in time, diverting their heed and saved Nayeon from the situation.

“We’re here, Mr. and Mrs. Jung.”

The driver got off the car and opened the door for them. “Master Jung’s flight should be arrived in 30 minutes.”

“Understood. We’re going in, you stay here and wait for us.”

“Yes, sir.”

They walked in the airport hall in silence. It was near noon, many people were coming and going, soon after they saw a group of men in black suits emerged at the gate.

“Here comes the bodyguards.” Taein murmured, Nayeon could feel they both tensed up. She thought the fight earlier was dismissed, or at least temporarily. Few minutes later, a man in his sixties walked out dispassionately. It was Jung Hookym, Taein’s father. He was dressing in blue suit, his hair was gray under hair spray, he had no expression but those eyes behind the black frame glasses were sharper than his son’s.

“The talk we had earlier never happened.” Nayeon heard Taein warned beside her ear. “Don’t let him or anyone know, it’s not just for me, it’s for you own good.”

The man gradually walked closer, stopped in front of his son and they were looking at each other. Jung Hookym should be over six feet tall, only slightly shorter than Taein, which made Nayeon more like a little girl when standing next to them with her petite body.

“My son.”

“Dad.”

They hugged each other, a smile finally formed on his face, more like a smirk. A smirk that was the same as his son always revealed.

“Nayeon.”

“D-Dad.”

It felt kind of difficult to call that word, she also troubled about whether to hug him or simply shake his hand. Before she could react, his palm landed on her abdomen and daunted her.

“Still not having progress?” He asked, glancing the panic girl through his sharp sight.

“We will, very soon.” Taein spoke for her while snaking his arm to her waist. “At that time we’d like you to name him.”

“I doubt that very much.” Jung Hookym withdrew his hand and took a tablet from his assistant. “I’ll certainly give my grandson a good name, but she’s got a long way to go to become a Jung’s woman.”

The way he talked was as if she was not exist at that time. Nayeon tried to put on her smile, her palms were moistened by sweat.

As the team walked out the airport, Taein scurried to their car and opened the door. “Come on, dad, let’s drive you home. We have a room for you and Nayeon also prepared…”

“There’s no need.” Jung Hookym interrupted him. “I’ll go straight to the hotel, my assistant booked the presidential suite for me long ago.”

“O-Oh…But you haven’t have lunch, right? Nayeon made your favorite, you can go after we eat together.”

“I said it’s the presidential suite, which means the hotel must have prepared the meal I specified. I appreciate your kindness, but I'll leave it for you two to enjoy. By the way,” He checked his tablet again and gave it back to the assistant. “This journey exhausted me, I have to have adequate rest before appearing in front of the media. Meet me tomorrow at six in the evening, don’t call me before we meet. If there’s anything important, call my secretaries, they are on 24/7.”

He got in the limo, with his bodyguards’ cars centered around, the motorcade left the airport and drove on the highway orderly. Nayeon was still a little spacing out when Taein tapped her arm. “Old man’s gone, we should go too.”

She could only nod numbly and follow him. Taein looked one more time at the mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter