Crumble

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Note:This is a double update. If you jumped straightly to this chapter, make sure to read the previous chapter first :))*

 

 

 

 

2018.9.22, After the explosion

 

“Sunbae, can you drive faster?”

“I’ll try, ok?”

Taein took a glimpse at the girl sat next to him, tears were forming in her eyes, she tried not to let them fall and her face was all pale.

It was only 20 minutes ago when he found the girl running out her house. He was heading to his office and deliberately drove pass her house, he just wanted to try his luck to see if he could meet her, and as if god heard his wishes, he did meet her, but did not expect to see a panic and teary her at all.

“Get in, I’ll drive you there.” He didn’t quite understand her words at first, but he knew she needed to rush to the hospital, and there was no way he’d let her go alone in this kind of situation.

On the way to the hospital, he learnt about what happened through the broadcast, practically every channel was reporting the port bombing.

“Don’t overthink, maybe your friends are safe and sound, it was other agents that injured.”

Nayeon could not relieve for any bit after hearing his words. Today was supposed to be the day they met after a long 2 years. Today was supposed to be the day Jeongyeon promised to spend with her. It has been nearly three hours since the explosion, why I saw the news just now?

She had called both their cellphones a hundred times but received none of their replies. Maybe they were just busily helping their members. Maybe they were dealing with the criminals and did not have time to check the phone.

Maybe…They were severely injured and could not pick……

She stopped herself from thinking, shaking her head vigorously in hope to get rid of the fear. Taein wished he could do something that at least comforted her but everything he tried was vain. He was sure infatuated with her, but he did not know her enough.

 

 

 

“Of all agents, none of you thought about he killed civilians because that would prompt us to send ourselves into his trap? None of you profiled this is a god damn suicide attack!”

“No sir, it’s not…”

“Then how you explain this!?”

“He did…detonate the bombs, and he did lure us with the massacre, but he’d never commit suicide. He’s too arrogant and highly narcissistic, he enjoys the chaos, now he has escaped and we think he’ll do something more.”

The technical analyst came and showed the tablet to them, Taecyeon saw it and clenched his fists. If only I identified him earlier, if only I figured out his purpose just one minute before they went in…They might not be seriously injured, Jeongyeon wouldn’t get burned and Mark could move without a wheelchair, Minwoo and the boys wouldn’t die in pieces like this……

K, real name Kris Wu. He was born and grew up in China, moved to Korea with his family and settled down in a small town when he was 10. Due to the cultural difference and lack of social abilities, he had lived a life under bullying since then.

According to the file, his father reported that local police involved in human trafficking and profiteered 7 years ago.

“Yeah, I remember that, it was my first year as the chief…” Partial memories appeared in his mind and he continued: “Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought it was a false accusation?”

“That’s what the investigation report says. Not long after, his father was arrested for attempted murder and died because of excessive blood loss in a prison fight. His mother died a year later…caused by cancer, from that time, Kris Wu seemed like vanished, poof. No more digital traces could be found.”

“If the corruption was true…Did those cops frame him to shut his mouth?”

“We don’t know that, we can only be sure that he’s really targeting the police and what happened to his family is the trigger. Others still need to be investigated.”

“Case can certainly reopen, right now…” Chief Son sighed and looked at the closed door of the operating room. “I’m not a church-going man, but I only want to pray for them.”

 

 

 

The moment the car stopped in front of the emergency, Nayeon opened the door and ran all the way to the counter.

“Please, I’m looking for…”

“Nayeon.” A voice called from behind, she turned back and tears immediately filled her eyes.

“Oh my god, Jihyo……”

Nayeon rushed to hug her, careful not to put too much strength. “I’m so glad you are…No, you’re not fine, your leg…” She gulped when she saw the bloodstain. “Is it bad? Can you walk? God, must hurt like hell!”

“Hey, I’m ok, it’s just a…bigger cut.”

“…Silly.”

Nayeon sighed in both frustration and relief, that was when she noticed something more important.

“Where’s Jeongyeon? She’s not with you?”

Jihyo swallowed hard, knowing this time would come eventually. “Hum, s-she…I…Actually, Na…”

The way Jihyo stammered made her heart sink to her stomach. “…What’s wrong?”

“She…She just underwent a surgery.”

“Surgery!? Was she hurt in the explosion?” Nayeon could feel her heartbeat rose in a sudden. “How bad is it? Jihyo, answer me!”

“L-Listen, Nayeon. She’s not good, you need to be prepared before I tell you what happened, but right now she…”

A strong force landed on her wrist, Chief Son appeared from behind and stopped what she was about to say. “She’s gone.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter