Breathe

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Slowly stirring from her sleep, the warmth that wrapped her remained, but the person had accompanied her was nowhere to be seen. Nayeon sat up from the couch abruptly, the coat slid down from her upper body as she looked around the empty house.

No, it wasn’t a dream. It was real.

The feeling of anxiety struck, just when she stood up and was about to run, “Nayeon?” A voice called from behind and she turned as quickly as she could.

“Ouch…” Jeongyeon slightly winced as the girl bumped into her embrace, she was a bit startled but soon realized the reason.

“Hey, everything’s fine.” She caressed her hair and whispered beside her ear. “I’m here.”

Feeling Nayeon nodded against her chest, Jeongyeon lowered her head and kissed her crown.

Lavender. The scent of her was still the same.

“Where were you?”

“Checking around.” Seeing her confused look, Jeongyeon sighed. “I am in you…his house after all, I need to make sure he didn’t leave his minions to spy on us and where the way out is. Hey, don’t feel bad.” She patted Nayeon’s cheek and smiled. “It’s easier for me to sneak in and meet you if I get familiar with here, right?”

Nayeon blushed. “Are you gonna go anon?”

Jeongyeon checked the time. It was 4:45, the sky yet not lightened from the darkness. Maybe she could follow her wish once more. “As long as my phone doesn’t ring or Jung Taein doesn’t come back, I can stay a bit longer.”

Right, Jung Taein. She almost forgot him, Nayeon almost forgot him too.

“Don’t think of it if you don’t want to right now.”

After settled themselves on the couch and noticed the dejection between Nayeon’s brows, Jeongyeon tightened her arms around her. “I shouldn’t mention that.”

“It’s time for me to face it anyways.” Nayeon smiled bitterly. “It won’t be easy, but…what has to be done has to be done.”

“What do you mean?” Jeongyeon asked, even though she could guess from the way she talked.

“He was my support back then, when you were all away from me…I’m not gonna lie. He paid for most of mom’s treatments, visited almost every day and helped me taking care of her, and eventually I got used to have him around me. I was too tired. I was too weak.”

Nayeon’s voice was trembling, Jeongyeon removed one arm from her torso and reached to squeeze her hand. “I knew there was nearly no chance for mom to rehabilitate, it was terminal cancer, but…When the doctor told me she only had 3 months left, it felt like my whole world fell apart for the second time.”

When was the first time? That was something Jeongyeon did not have to ask at all.

“I remember Taein held me and kept saying reassuring words to me…when I cried all night for thinking everybody had left me. He said he will be with me no matter what happened, he told me he loves me for the Nth time, he promised I will never be alone, which is what I scared the most since I was a kid…”
“You don’t have to explain anything, Nayeon.” Jeongyeon squeezed her. “I understand.”

“B-But I want you to know.” Nayeon bit her lower lip before continued: “Like I said, I was too weak, I fell for it. Not exactly for him, but totally for his words.”

Jeongyeon looked down at her, she seemed to lose in her thoughts. “I know what he feels toward me, but I can never return him the same feeling. I used to keep convincing myself I will eventually move on from you, I am happy with him, he did too much for me and he’s the right one. At first it seems to work, but lately, after so many things, it just hits me and makes me realize…I never loved him. What I have been felt toward him has always been pure appreciation, and deep down…I only see him as a senior, nothing more.”

Sensing the silence beside her, Nayeon let out a sad smile. “Am I a lousy person?”

“No, of course not.” Jeongyeon closed her eyes. “I was just cursing myself for letting you go through these pains. I was the one left you alone and helpless…and not fighting for you.”

Nayeon snuggled to her. “At least you’re here with me now.”

How lucky I am to have you. Jeongyeon straightened her body and looked her in the eyes. “You know…You don’t owe him anything, right? He did these all by his will…and with purpose.”

“I owe him an explanation.” Nayeon her cheek to ease her worries. “It’s the thing between us after all. I’ll have to talk to him when he comes back.”

“He may not be a bad guy, but I’m sure he doesn’t know how to be good either! He won’t let you go that eas…” Jeongyeon blurted out and soon felt regret, Nayeon showed nothing but an understanding smile.

“I know.”
“And you’re still doing it?” Well, that was a moronic question. What else can we do? Avoiding the present trouble and cause more future troubles?

“It is…”

“I know.” Jeongyeon stopped her gently. She knew Nayeon didn’t just make this decision for herself. She made it for both of them. “I’m proud of you. You’re always braver than me.”

She then gazed at her and said with a tone full of sincerity. “And I want to promise I will be the one by your side from now on. Screw that prophecy, I will protect you no matter what comes to us.”

“Us…?” Nayeon whispered.

“Us.” Jeongyeon assured. It’s not one anymore, it’s the two of them. They enjoyed a comfortable silence before Nayeon caught her slightly off guard with her words.

“Let’s go visit mom someday. It’s been a while.”

Nayeon was leaning on her chest so she could feel her whole body tensed.

“I know what’s in your mind.” She said softly. “And I know she’ll want to see both of us being happy together. You would believe me if you had finished reading the letter, Jeongyeon.”

The hesitation in Jeongyeon’s eyes was obvious and it pained Nayeon. She was more affected than she expected.

“How…did you get that letter?”

“Mom gave it to Chaeyoung and asked her to keep it for me in case one day…I’m not happy with my marriage anymore.”

“Chaeyoung? Your college friend? Chief Son’s daughter?”

“Yes. You know her?”

“Not quite. I just heard her name few times from you and Chief Son when he was still in the bureau.”

“I see. Chaeyoung didn’t give me until yesterday because mom had told her to read it first, she knew what was written inside but she thought you were…” Nayeon stopped, Jeongyeon simply nodded in understanding. “Then she heard her father talking about you, so…that’s it. I guess mom had seen everything, she was just in fear, and indecisive. Like all of us.”

“It’s not like I don’t believe you.” Jeongyeon avoided her look, her voice turned faint. “I want to be strong like I said earlier, honestly, I…I’m scared.”

“He said you will bring misfortune to me, but he didn’t and he would never know,” Nayeon curved up her lips and caressed Jeongyeon’s hand with her thumb. “That you already saved me…More than once.”

Jeongyeon gulped and gazed at those pupils, the pupils she had fallen deeply into. “I’m not courageous, I don’t know if one’s fate can be changed by efforts, but I don’t want to go against my heart anymore. I think I can deal with whatever things afterwards. With you.”

There was no need to reply, even a simple nod was unnecessary. The overwhelming feel deep down warmed her whole being, Jeongyeon couldn’t and didn’t want to suppress herself at that moment. Nayeon felt the touch on her right cheek, on her earlobe, her heartbeat rose and she didn’t pull back when Jeongyeon pecked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter