Flaw

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Never thought I would say this, but…” Jeongyeon had her phone between her ear and shoulder. “I feel safer knowing you will be tracing us.”

“And I feel relieved you won’t have an earphone or pinhole with you, just a cute and simple tracker.” Jihyo rolled her eyes. “I’m too innocent to be part of your…activities behind the closed door.”

Jeongyeon’s cheeks heated. “Shut up you .”
“What!? I wasn’t implying anything!” Jihyo let out a fake exclamation and giggled. “Anyway, I’m glad you two are finally having some time for yourselves. Spend it wisely, you know it’s kinda short.”

The person on the other side paused and sighed. “This is all I can do for her for now, but…I’m feeling weird since I told her I will take her on a trip.”

“Why’s that?”

“I can’t tell either.” Jeongyeon peeked outside, Nayeon was packing in the living room with a small smile on her face. She was surely happy about what they were gonna do in the following days.

“Shouldn’t I feel happy or want to jump for joy too?”

“Don’t you?”

“I don’t know. I feel more like…anxious.”

“Well, you’ve been out of normal for too long, it’s normal you feel abnormal since you’re heading back to normal which is abnormal compares…Never mind.

“You’re not helping.”

“My bad. Look, don’t read too much into it, ok? I feel unrealistic for couple days after that case solved too, but there’re other more cases coming right off, which makes me realize I can only focus on what is present. Same thing applies to you.”

“You are still not helping much but you have a point.”

“Besides, if anything really happens…I always know where you are and you know I’m just one call away.”

Jeongyeon nodded though her partner couldn’t see it. That sounds comforted. “Thanks, Jihyo.”

“No problem. Enjoy your time.”

Jeongyeon put her phone down on the bed beside her duffle bag, eyes locked on the two guns she always had with her when on duties. Of course she was not going to hunt psychopaths or chase a fugitive, but…Better safe than sorry, you never know what could possibly happen. She packed her guns too and everything of her had settled. Nayeon saw her walk to her and quickly put her phone away, and Jeongyeon did not miss the concern in her eyes.

“Hey.” She greeted her with the smile she saw earlier. “I almost done here. How’s Jihyo?”

“She’s good, and she kept reminding us to have fun.” Jeongyeon sat down beside her. “Looks like she feels bad that she can’t be the third wheel this time.”

Nayeon giggled. “Well, we’d better get something for her when we come back.”

She was about to keep packing when Jeongyeon held her hand. “You ok?”

“Huh? Yeah, sure, why wouldn’t…”

Jeongyeon eyed her phone. “You know you can tell me anything, Nayeon.”

“It’s not…” Nayeon sighed, her upright back slumped as she looked down. “I haven’t heard from Taein for quite a while. It might sound weird, but…I feel anxious when he kept sending messages and calling, I feel anxious when he stopped too.”

“You said he went abroad to deal with his business?”

“Yeah…”

“Perhaps he’s too attentive to those upstarts who are much more upstart than him. Or perhaps…He just didn’t get time to pay his phone bill.” Jeongyeon shrugged, earning a snicker from Nayeon. “It makes sense! He’s been out for like…two months or more? Whatever.” She threw an arm over her shoulder. “I bet he’ll call you the moment he gets back. You’ll hear from him whether you like it or not.”

“…That’s so comforted.”

“And you do know no matter what happen, I’m right here with you, right? Just…Think positive. We have days without any disturbances ahead us.”

“That…sounds good.”

“Good? Simply good?”

Jeongyeon heard another snicker. “All right. It’s perfect.”

Nayeon pecked her cheek with a smile before standing up, also pulling her up with her. “I can finish packing later. Let’s go make dinner.”

Jeongyeon just nodded and followed. Jihyo was right, they were really like old married couple, and she loved how they could spend time with each other in this way. It’s perfect.

 

 

 

 

Driving on the highway sounded normal and even a bit boring, but when there was a certain girl sitting on the passenger seat beside her, the circumstance became completely different.

“You know you look really stupid with that grin when you drive?”

“You still love me.”

Nayeon blushed. She could never win the bicker between herself and Jeongyeon.

“You look cute when you blush.” Jeongyeon teased. “Bunny with red cheeks.”

“Stop making fun of me.” Nayeon wanted to facepalm but Jeongyeon grabbed her hand and intertwined their fingers. She didn’t talk, but the smile on her face was more evident than earlier. The sun was above, shining and warming, the wind outside the window was soughing but sending comfortable coolness. Everything around them was real, Nayeon knew that, and it felt too good to be true.

The cemetery was quiet as always, the natural tranquility was winding in the breeze. Few people coming and leaving, nobody made any noise that would disturb other visitors. They stopped at the gravestone at the end of the ninth row, Nayeon kneeled down to wipe away some leaves and grass before putting down a bouquet of oncidiums.

“Hey mom…I’m sorry it took me longer this time.” She smiled and turned her head, tugging the somehow stiff person behind on the cuff. “Look who’s here with me. I didn’t recognize her when we first talked, how about you? Did you know it was Jeongyeonnie visited you without letting me know? Can’t believe she’s become so pretty.”

Jeongyeon slowly kneeled beside her, also laid a bunch of oncidiums on the gravestone.

“You won’t believe how many things we’ve been through recently. Yeah, some were quite thrilling…My life now may not be stable like you would like, but I got more than I lost. I can let out my emotions, I don’t have to be someone that others want me to be anymore…I think I know how to be myself and how to live heartily again. Huh? You said she’s too quiet?” Nayeon nudged Jeongyeon. “Say something, Jeongyeonnie. Mom wants you to talk to her.”

“H-Hi, auntie. I…” Jeongyeon lowered her head. “We miss you a lot. I’m sorry for…everything, but things were solved and gone and…”

“We’re doing good, mom.” Nayeon squeezed her hand, her voice was soft and fond. “I’m happy now. I really am. You don’t have to worry about me, my one and only protector is here, she promised she would never leave me on my own. Oh? You trust her?” She looked at Jeongyeon and smiled wider. “So do I.”

Jeongyeon squeezed her hand tighter. Nayeon said she trusted her, which was what she needed to hear the most.

“I was lost for years and now…I’m found. Nayeon found me, auntie.” Jeongyeon stopped stammering and enunciated each word. “I know I didn’t do a good job like I used to expect, but I’ll do my best from now on to make her…make us, happy. I’m not making this promise because I think I owe her, I’m doing this because…we both deserve it.”

A breeze blew by and brought down a few red maple leaves, Nayeon picked up the one on her knee, her thumb drawing lightly on the fine lines.

“I think this is mom’s answer.” She leaned on Jeongyeon’s shoulder. “She’s wishing us the best.”

Jeongyeon held Nayeon closer. “I thought so.”

The wind blew a little stronger, bringing more red leaves down from the maple tree. Both of them didn’t want to leave that early so they stayed there longer, letting the comfortable silence and breeze surround and accompany by their side.

 

 

 

 

“Let me guess. No surveillances?”

Wooyoung shook his head and walked to Taecyeon. “I’m not surprised at all.”

“Me either.”

Taecyeon began to walk with his crutches, Wooyoung hastily followed and murmured: “Can you remind me before you move? I don’t even know why you’re in this dusty quarry with us while you should stay indoors and sit…No, lie down and…”

“But I’m here now, so let’s try to do something useful instead of arguing. Where’s Khun by the way?”

“I don’t know, he took the other side and said he’ll catch up with me. Oh, speaking of the devil.”

Taecyeon turned his head to the left and saw Nichkhun was coming to their direction, but they weren’t expecting he came back with a boy around 18 or 19 who was clamping by his fists.

“…Mind explaining?”

Nichkhun pushed the boy in front of them and smacked the back of his head. “Yo, you heard it. Explain yourself.”

The boy was wearing a large black T-shirt with some white powder and a pair of faded jeans, which got stained perhaps due to the flee-and-chase game with Nichkhun earlier. He remained silent and glanced around but Nichkhun locked his wrists behind his back, making him yelp and give up on the thought of running again.

“See, you’re not mute, kid. Explain your behavior and maybe I will consider not arresting you for attacking federal agent.”

“A-All right, all right, just…Ah! Easy!”

He struggled a bit and exclaimed with an unpleasant tone: “The cops are never friendly to us, I’m sure you all know that! You think we are trouble makers and want to wipe us out as clean as possible, how could I not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter