Closer

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The lawyer standing in the middle of the office gulped, cold sweat dripped down his temple but he did not dare to raise his hand and wipe it. He could swear of all clients he had met and worked for, this man sitting in front of him had the sharpest sight that made him feel the most terrors.

“I thought I hired you because your specialty is taking care of problems.”

“I-I understand, Mr. Jung, I’m only asking for some more days…”

“And you can finish it?”

He nodded vigorously. “Yes, I promise.”

Jung Taein did not move his eyes from him. “I believe you don’t want to risk your wife’s life either, do you?”

“…No.”

“You made the right decision when taking my side instead of my father’s, you also saw what happened to him and the rat he put around me. Don’t get cute with me like that driver.”

“I would n-never do that, sir.”

“Since you did a great job on the court, I will give you another chance. I want to see the result in a week.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Then I think I made myself clear.” He stood up from the chair and grabbed his coat. “If anything happens, message me, don’t call…”

“Um, Mr. Jung…There’s one more thing.”

The lawyer took out his phone. “That woman…has been looking for you. Should I tell her…”

“No.” Taein clenched his fist, the shadow in his eyes became darker. “Call her. I’ll meet her in person.”

That evening, Taein stumbled out of an old apartment and slammed the door once he sat in the car. Rage was burning in his body, fear was piercing in his head, he pounded the steering wheel several times before eventually stopped while panting heavily. He had never been stalked and threatened like earlier in his whole life, not by such a shameful reason.

Everything started about a month ago. Shifting the funds, hired a hitman, blew his father and half-brother into pieces, framed a victim of the M&A to be accused, convinced half of the stockholders to stay, lost two-thirds of the assets, tried every way to get away with murder and dealt with the ‘rumor’ about he actually killed Jung Hookym, looked for new partnerships abroad…He worked his off to take care of all these messes, they were frustrating for sure, but none of them could make him lose both his temper and mind like this one.

If only I stayed at the hotel that night, if only I ordered room services instead of going to that bar and met that stripper, if only I did not let myself drown in alcohol with her……

He groaned as the woman’s voice appeared and hovering beside his ears. He already splurged on her, telling her to leave and never showed in front of his face again, but seemed like god was also taunting him, making him became a pathetic joke. He thought he could finally live without being controlled by his father, he could finally be the Jung Taein he himself wanted instead of others wanted, but things turned out that he did exactly what Jung Hookym had done before.

I’m pregnant. That woman said while looking at him with her orbs shivering.

I think you remember exactly about that night. Her volume rose when he tried to deny.

It’s yours. I’m not going to leave before I get what I deserve. That just wouldn’t stop.

I’m not gonna abort, this is my child, I will give……

“Shut up, SHUT UP!!”

Taein shouted to the windshield and pounded the steering wheel again, causing the car to vibrate because of his violent moves. There was one moment he launched to her, there was one moment he choked her neck, there was one moment he almost killed her with his bare hands. He did pull back in time, but the hatred between him and that stripper was enlarged.

Taking a deep breath, he grabbed his phone and made a few calls. At that time, negative news was the least he needed, he knew things would only become worse if he didn’t figure some ways to shut . He had to make the reparation even though her existence was like a reminder of his humiliation.

Only she can bear my kid, not this , not anyone else. She’s the only one.

 

 

 

 

Lying on the couch, staring at the white ceiling, Jeongyeon had no idea if there were any thoughts left in her brain. Too many things happened in a short time, she had got a lot to figure out and to worry about, but it was the first time she couldn’t find a slightest strength to perform her liability, she didn’t feel this way even when she went through the critical surgery and tough rehabilitation. It was a good thing that Taecyeon suggested her to stay at her place for a few days for safety because other agents recently found some leads about K, which gave her a reasonable excuse to escape from what she had to face.

She knew as Ryu Jaehee, she should follow up the case and updates, study victimology, build geographic profile, do whatever she could to help her teammates out there somewhere, but instead she simply let her mind go blank and her body turn limp in her small living room. It was not like being the originally her meant acting useless, but the closer she was with the bypast her, the more her thoughts tangled and made her rather believe nothing was there in her mind.

She was turning back to Yoo Jeongyeon day by day, she knew it better than anyone. It didn’t cause by something or someone, it was because she never really moved on from old time. Ryu Jaehee was lip-deep, Yoo Jeongyeon had always been the true colors, she just didn’t want to admit it. Perhaps everything happened because it was god’s will to force her stop hiding from her doubts and feelings.

Jeongyeon sighed as the pain and struggle came up at once when she thought of the girl she carefully kept deep down. Her childhood and teenage life started and went through with her, changed at adult because of her, now her seemingly stable life began collapsing also because of her.

The day she decided to leave, the day Nayeon confronted her, the day they talked under the dark sky…Jeongyeon remembered every word she said, and she remembered every sting she felt when listening those words. She finally realized that she would never get through these messes if she kept avoiding Nayeon, she was not just the one who had her heart, she was like the center of everything, but the affright was haunting her and made her shirk as usually.

Knowing nothing is cruel for sure…But isn’t that sometimes the best?

Her dilemma was cut short by a buzz sound, she sat up and pressed the call button.

“Yes?”

“Um, Jaehee…” BamBam talked to the earphone while feeling hesitant. “I'm downstairs, someone’s here asking to meet you, but I can’t get her nam…”

“Just let me up! Do I look like a serial killer to you?”

Recognizing the certain voice, Jeongyeon looked out the window and saw the person she expected. “It’s ok, Bam.” She sighed and unlocked the door. “Let her in.”

Let’s just hope she won’t actually kill me.

There was merely a minute before she heard rapid footsteps, then a gasping missy popped in front of the opened door.

“Jesus Christ, you’re so damn hard to meet.”

Sana scooted in but didn’t close the door, Jeongyeon questioned anyway though she could guess the answer. “How did you find me?”

“I am a so called rich girl, remember? I have my sources to locate an agent, this is not a difficult task.”

Jeongyeon frowned at her. “Ok, ok, don’t need to make that face.” Sana rolled her eyes. “I asked Jihyo, satisfied now? She gave me the address but she has to deal with some work, so I came by myself first.”

So she left the door open because that megaphone will rush to my apartment in any second. She turned quietly and walked to the refrigerator. “You came to confront me too?”

“Confront? Well, depends on you.” Sana crossed her arms. “You know why I’m here?”

“You heard our conversation, didn’t you?” Jeongyeon filled the glass with ice water. “I noted you behind the fence that day.”

“True, I…”

“If that’s what you’re gonna ask about,” She handed her the water cup. “I have nothing to say.”

“I’ve talked to Nayeon unnie.” Grabbing the cup over, Sana said after taking a sip: “She told me everything. Well, at least everything of her part.”

If Jeongyeon still had the cup in her hand, it might crack because of her tensed fingers. “What are you trying to imply?”

“Nothing, Yoo Jeongyeon.”

It was like being knocked on the head, she could only watch Sana finished the water with her frozen body. “Don’t worry, I’m not interested in reporting it to the world.”

Sensing Jeongyeon’s guard didn’t lower, Sana added: “You might want to sit down. If you don’t, I’ll take a seat and make myself at home because we’ve got a lot to talk.”

“Talk?”

“Your story of course.” She sat down on the couch Jeongyeon lay on few minutes ago. “What is it?”

Jeongyeon defended. “Why do you want to know?”

“Because I care for my friends and I want them to be happy, not miserable.” Sana stared at her. “Clearly, you are the trouble maker here, so here I am to straighten things out in case somebody keeps evading another somebody.”

Still frowned, but Jeongyeon didn’t realize her voice had softened. “With all due respect, what makes you so confident that I will tell you?”

“Oh, I can call Nayeon unnie over and we can have a group talk. Sounds good?” Sana said slyly when seeing the taller girl’s eyes gloomed. “It’s your choice.”

As if planned, another person showed at the door and scooted in like this was her home. Great.

“Perfect timing.” Sana nodded to Jihyo who walked beside her. “In less than 10 minutes, she’ll start talking.”

“If she doesn’t,” Jihyo shot her a glare. “You’ll seize her so I can dig things out of ?”

“My pleasure.”

Jeongyeon glared back but did not talk back, she paced to the window and opened it wider. The wind blew in, caressing her cheeks, the breezy feeling was the same as that day in the cemetery, and that day in Busan. To others, especially her teammates and the victims she had helped and saved, she’s the hero for no doubt. Only she herself knew that ever since that day, she had become a wimp to her destiny, and to Nayeon.

How do I explain this to them? No, to anybody?

“Is this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter