Mistake

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7:38p.m.

More and more people were gathering in the villa, the driveway was full of limousines, waiters were moving in between guests and serving drinks. Jeongyeon wondered if all the high-class banquets in the world are the same, this one felt just like the one she attended a month ago in Japan. Men in suits, women in evening dresses, the small orchestra performing on the stage, the feast on the table, the bureaucratic talking all around. Her eyes couldn’t help but landed on the girl in dark blue dress. Nayeon was staying by his side, holding his arm and listening to him talking with a CEO of an entertainment, occasionally bowed and greeted some guests passing by. She hadn’t taken the initiative to talk to anyone besides her friends since she arrived.

“Here.” Sana approached and stuck a plate full of food in her hands.

“Umm, I don’t think we are allowed to. These are for the people like you, but thanks anyway.”

Sana rolled her eyes and prevented her from giving back the plate. “I can say I was the one who took for you. Time will pass really slowly if you don’t do something to kill it, and now the best option is eat.”

8:15p.m.

“Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all from coming tonight.” The music stopped as the host was standing in the middle of the mansion with a microphone. “…Tonight would not be the same without these honored guests. First, let’s welcome Mr. and Mrs. Moon!”

A couple around forties walked out of the crowds within applause, hugging the host and gave their speech. Jeongyeon wasn’t paying much attention, she took a bite of a slice of bread, eyes looking for her partner.

“I’m here.” Jihyo popped out from behind, snatching a pie from her plate.

“How is she doing?”

“Not bad. He does the most talk.”

“Has she eaten? Grab something for her.”

“You know you can do that yourself.”

Jeongyeon gave her a glare before took another plate and filled it with several kinds of desserts.

“Last but not least, let’s welcome Mr. and Mrs. Jung!” Her movements paused when she realized it was them who had been called. Jeongyeon watched as they took over everybody’s vision, earning all the attentions and discussions. These two were the youngest and prettiest couple among the guests, no wonder they would be the top focus. At first, she did not hear what the other guests were gossiping or what Jung Taein was speaking through the microphone. She could not face Nayeon when they met each other at the beginning of the banquet, she could only peek at her side profile when she was standing with him, now she could finally contemplate her without concerns.

Concealing in the crowds, eyes gluing on the girl who had been on her mind since like forever. There she was, a shadow without anyone’s interest, so close yet so far. To her, Nayeon looked like an angel fell from the sky, a shining star once belonged to the clouds, every person showed their interest toward her. Her delicate features, slender frame……I never told her she’s beautiful. I never told her how much I love seeing her laughing with those two teeth. I never told her she can let out her true mood instead of hiding it behind. Do I still have a chance?

“Oh, look at them…I’m so jealous.”

“I heard that dress and those earrings cost a lot…”

“I wanna have a husband like him! They look so sweet and happy together!”

“You bet. I talked to Mrs. Jung few minutes ago, guess what I saw? Marks!”

“I saw that too, she didn’t cover them well enough…”

Jeongyeon’s gaze traced down the side of her neck unconsciously and her orbs dimmed. I know she doesn’t like to be in this kind of occasion. I know she said she wanted to spend today alone. But seems she enjoys the rest of…No, the most of the time with him pretty much.

“…We hope to spend this amazing night with everyone. Thank you.” Jung Taein finished and they both bowed. He did not forget to hold her hand when she stepped down the small platform. 

The conversations around resumed, her figure became incomplete again because of the people near her. And, Jeongyeon saw Jung Taein passing in front of her, with a goblet of wine in his left hand and a dish of food in his right hand. He walked to Nayeon, Jeongyeon could not hear what he said to her, but she smiled sweetly and took everything from him.

“Hey, where are you going?” Jihyo pulled her on the elbow.

“Outside. I need some fresh air.” Jeongyeon handed over the plate. “She doesn’t need these, you can eat if you want.”

“Huh?”

Looking at her partner’s back, Jihyo had no idea what made her discomfort, but it was better to leave her alone for a while. She turned back, saw a man introduced himself to Jung Taein and they were talking fervently. Guess he would not be around Nayeon for a least a few minutes.

“Oh, you’re finally here.” Nayeon put down the stuff and held Jihyo’s wrist, almost tipped the plate in her hand. “Sorry…Where have you been? I couldn’t find you at all.”

“Hiding for my life, in case your husband tries to choke me.” Seeing her head lowered in guilt, Jihyo quickly added: “Hey, I am hundred percent willing to be here no matter what he says or acts, so don’t feel bad, ok?”

“Thank you, Jihyo. Have you seen Sana?”

“Yeah, she just got rid of someone annoying and told me she wants to hide in the bathroom for a while.”

Nayeon chuckled. “I see.”

“Here.” Jihyo gave her the desserts. ”You should eat something when you’re free or you will starve.”

“Oh, these are all I like!” Nayeon smiled widely. Her bunny teeth showed for the first time tonight. “Thanks again. You know me the best.”

Jihyo then noticed another dish remained intact on the table beside her. She realized somethin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter