Least hope

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ok, agent Ryu, you can open your eyes now.”

Once Jeongyeon could see the surroundings, the shrink asked: "How are you feeling?”

"Same. Almost.”

"Almost the same?”

Jeongyeon nodded, no words followed. "Ah, I see. You don't want to talk about those little changes yet.”

"You get me.”

He shrugged. "Well, at least you are not getting worse. It's still good news.”

"Are you trying to make me feel better?" She scoffed. She actually liked this shrink a lot because he seldom pushed her and they could chat like friends.

"I am a doctor, make you sad won't do.”

She watched him writing down something on his notebook. "Our next appointment is in two weeks. Make sure you'll come by the time.”

"Of course, I still have to fawn you to report something good to the chief. See ya, Jackson.”

"See ya.”

Jeongyeon wandered back to the office, seeing several agents passing by but Jihyo was nowhere to be found. "Where would she be?" She mumbled to herself and looked for her cellphone in her coat pocket.

No messages, no missing calls. She was sure they didn't get any commission either.

 

 

 

 

"Um, Jihyo?”

"Yes?”

"Someone called you, I answered it, but I didn't get any reply and it just ended.”

Jihyo quickly opened the bathroom door. "Who was it?”

"I think it's…Ryu Jaehee?" Nayeon said, showing the screen to her.

. "Oh, that's my colleague. I can call her later." Jihyo cursed mentally for forgetting to bring her phone with her. That ostrich is gonna nag at me when I get back.

"I was about to tell her you are in the bathroom, but she hung off when I started to talk.”

"Well…She's cautious, and weird. So, yeah, never mind her.”

"I hope I did not scare her…?”

"Of course you didn't!" Oh yeah, she definitely freaked out. "So how are you doing lately? Do I get to hear any new songs?" She sat on the couch casually, changing the topic as if nothing happened. Nayeon smiled but sighed, sitting down on the opposite side of her. "I finished one, but the second…I kind of, you know, distracted.”

"Huh? By what?”

She did not answer at first. "Nayeon, something wrong?" Jihyo asked in concern and she shook her head lightly. "November is coming.”

"Yeah, I know that, so what……O-Oh." She relaxed her nerves but felt bad seeing Nayeon with a sorrowful look. "Well, it was not a big deal, but Taein said we need to attend a business banquet that day. You know how much I hate this kind of occasion and the fact that I prefer to be alone on that day doesn't help.”

"I know.”

Jihyo stood up and walked to sit beside Nayeon. "You miss her, don't you?”

"Don't we all?”

"…Yeah, of course.”

"You know, Jihyo…" Nayeon's lips curved up with her bitter smile. "I still cannot believe she's actually gone, because sometimes…I-I really feel she's here, right by my side." Jihyo could only stare at her lap with no words. "Maybe I am a coward, refuse to face the truth. Or maybe…I'm stupid. And crazy.”

"No, you are not. You just cherish the memories and the feelings too much.”

She sneered. "Sometimes I really hate myself for having a good memory. Good things, bad things, I remember them all. They're haunting me…every day.”

Jihyo thought she'd let out her emotions, but she shook it off quickly and smiled at her. "Ok, enough negative. How about you? How's work? Your injury, are you getting better?”

"Work is fine, and I'm doing great.”

"Really? I remember you still limped last time.”

"Sure thing. See, I can run by now." She jumped up, jogged in place several times which made Nayeon chuckle. "All right, it is good to know.”

"You should go exercise more, it's good for health, and mood.”

"I want to, but Taein will sure ask me why I don't play squash with him every Saturday morning. He let me stay home only because I hurt my knee before and he believes I don't like sports.”

"God, that contro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter