Stranger

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6:25p.m.

“You are so beautiful.”

Nayeon felt a pair of arms wrapped around her waist after smelling the same cologne. “I bet you will be everyone’s eye focus tonight.”

“No, I’m sure there will be a lot of pretty ladies, I don’t think anyone will notice me.” She said, with her voice a little nonchalantly.

“You know that’s not true.”

She patted his hand, indicated him to loosen a bit. “Give me 5 more minutes, I’m almost done.”

“Take your time.”

Jung Taein adjusted his tie one more time before heading downstairs. “I need to check if Hyunseo has everything prepared. I’ll wait you in the car.”

“Ok.”

Nayeon finished doing her hair, looking at herself in the mirror and sighed. Since when I need to wear formal and uncomfortable clothes like this so often? The off-the-shoulder dark blue evening dress, the braid hairstyle, the makeup, they all looked fine and not so fine at the same time.

“I can do this, just a couple hours, I can do this…Sana and Jihyo will be there too, take it easy.”

Before leaving the room, she peeked at the nightstand and was about to walk toward, but stopped when she saw their car waiting in front of the gate from the window.

Guess I’ll have to wait till we come back. Hope it won’t be too late then.

 

 

 

 

“I can do this, nothing to worry about. She might not even notice me, I am no one now, I can do this.” Jeongyeon looked at herself in the side mirror and murmured. She told Jihyo she was not nervous but both of them knew it was a lie. Not long after, she saw her led Sana to the car. Jihyo assured Sana had her seatbelt on in the back seat before walking to the front to sit beside her.

“We can go now.”

They soon drove on the highway, the surroundings became boring since there were only countless cars passing by. “So how was your last consultation?” Jihyo made sure the soundproof glass separated the front and back seat was working.

“So many topics yet you picked this one.”

“You know this is my concern. You were busily nagging at me the last time I wanted to ask.”

“It was still the same.”

“You mean…”

“The memory of that day didn’t fade away. Not a bit. I still see their faces in my dreams. Sometimes they will shout at me, blame me for not rescuing them in time, sometimes they just stand there and stare at me.” Jeongyeon kept looking ahead, her voice was calm, but her hands gripped tighter on the steering wheel.

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“But…something has changed.” Jeongyeon could feel Jihyo’s confused look even without turning her head. “I used to keep apologizing to them, crying, asking for their forgiveness, but lately I began to…like, defense myself. I don’t know why, I will say I had no choice at that time, I did the right thing for the rest of us.”

The times I dream of them also decrease. I dream of her more often instead. Of course, she did not tell her partner this. “Am I ? Does that mean my guilt toward them diminished because of time? Am I irresponsible?”

“Actually, I feel happy for you.” Jihyo gave her a genuine smile. “It was never your fault, and I think you finally started to understand that. I hope you go through it eventually, you have too much to worry about.”

There were couple minutes of silence before Jeongyeon asked out of blue: “Do you believe in…Say, prophecy?”

“Excuse me?” Jihyo’s are-you-kidding-me expression was just as she expected.

“Well, you said I have too much to worry about, that reminds me of something. And that is why I asked.”

“Since when you started dating a diviner?”

“Very funny.” Jeongyeon glared at her. “I’m serious, Thomas the train.”

“All right, all right. What happened? ”

“It was a l-long time ago.”

“And?”

“I…well, she and I were……”

“Knock knock”, their conversation was interrupted by the sounds behind. Jihyo turned her head while Jeongyeon looked in the review mirror, saw Sana was pointing at the glass and the buttons. Somebody was having a hard time with the mechanism.

“The left one. No, your left, not mine…”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter