Tied

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun rose and fell. The sky lightened and darkened. The letdown and worries in her voice were way too obvious.
"It's ok, Jeongyeon, I understand.” 
"I would feel better if you actually scolded me.”
Jeongyeon pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed. She wanted to talk to Nayeon, she wanted to see her in person, but she could only give her a quick call when their chief was called out. "I'll try…This time is real, I promise. I'll try finishing the chaos here soon. Be careful and don't go anywhere without company.”
"You too..." Nayeon wanted to say something more but chose to stop after hearing the continuous arguing and moving noise from the background. "I…I'll be waiting.”
Hanging up the phone, Jeongyeon sighed again before walking back to the briefing room. Tzuyu pushed a cup of coffee in front of her, she took it and drained within few seconds.
"Wow. Somebody's planning to stay up for another night.”
"No, it's my aim today to go back home before midnight and get some sleep." She slapped Tzuyu on the shoulder when noticing she was mouthing words like"kissing and hugging my girl".
"Go get me another cup you ert. I need to clear my mind now.”
"Guys.”
Taecyeon went back after talking to the deputy. "It's good news. Chief Son's wife is awake.”
"Is she ok?”
"Yeah, doctor said she will be.”
"Did she see anything?" BamBam asked eagerly, Taecyeon shook his head and his lips turned into a straight line. 
"No. She was attacked from the back, that matches her wound and the evidence we found. She could barely remember what happened due to the head trauma.”
"…How's Chief Son?”
"That's another bad news. He's still unconscious.”
Since there was nothing more to cheer everybody, he could only bring the topic back to what they were focusing before he left.
"Let's work now. Where were we?”
"We were talking about the MO changes.” 
"Right. Um, what stopped him? I mean, destroy his victims' faces seems to be an important part of his ritual. Chief Son does have several cuts across his face but…that was trifling compare with what happened on Mark and Jinyoung.”
"Maybe he was interrupted by Chief Son's wife? It's possible that he didn't know she was home.”
"Or by the officer who died in the front yard. Maybe he heard something and went to check and…bang. He bumped right into K.”
"Or perhaps…Chief Son's different." Jeongyeon said and others turned to her in sync. "He did not change to a new identity. He did not…”
"He did not cut tie with his family." Taecyeon slowly nodded his head. "Perhaps you're all right about it. K was interrupted so they are still alive and the face damage was less severe, but apart from Jinyoung and Mark, hurting Chief Son's loved ones seems to become his main purpose.”
Jihyo peeked at her partner with concern. Jeongyeon was rubbing her knuckles with her thumb, usually it was a habit that would appear when she tried to suppress her anxiousness. Jihyo knew what was in her mind, she knew they might worrying about the same thing at that moment.
"There's another thing which troubled me the most." Taecyeon stuck some photos of the crime scene on the white board. "After this one…The fact that he got a partner is almost certified." He gazed at his teammates, they gazed back as well. "Though I tried to keep a low profile, I think some of you felt it already. A mole is in our unit, whoever he or she is, this person knows the explosion well. Most importantly, this person knows how we work. The problem is, I can't figure out who has the motive to help…"
A knock sound cut his sentence off, the door of the briefing room was pushed open before anyone could answer. A few men in suits walked in with poker faces, the agents frowned because they knew who these people were. They always pissed them off and never showed up with good news.
"What is Internal doing here?”
The lead man ignored the question and stood in front of Taecyeon. 
"Good afternoon, Chief Ok.”
"Detective Lee." They slightly bowed to each other. "How can I help you?”
Lee Soomin, chief of the Internal, turned to look at the agents around the table. Some of them remained in their seats, some of them had stood up out of alert. "Things aren't going smoothly, are they?”
"We're checking out every possibility."
He smirked. "It must be tough to lose so many colleagues in such a short time and still have to stay focus.”
"This is our job." Taecyeon frowned. "And I know what your job is. I'm sure you are not here to see if we are all doing great.”
Lee Soomin glanced at the white board before looking at everyone in the room. "I guess I'll be straightforward. We have a mole, we're all aware of that. The Internal has been investigated for the past two months, and this morning…" A man behind him handed him a folder. "CSI sent me the report of the latest crime scene. Conclude from the evidences we have, the mole's identity is proved.”
Jeongyeon exchanged a look with Jihyo, both of them widened their eyes.
"Who is it?" Yugyeom asked, BamBam quickly pulled him on the arm to prevent him from dashing toward. Yugyeom had been blaming himself for Jinyoung's death, thinking he could have saved him if he had not been knocked out, so BamBam was sure he would want to beat up the mole once they learned the name.
"Hold on a sec." Lee Soomin withdrew his hand, not letting Taecyeon to take the folder. "As far as I know, you have been investigating too, Chief Ok.”
The agents were surprised to hear that. None of them had been informed, which meant Taecyeon was investigating on his own. Covertly.
"And let me guess…You didn't tell any of your teammates, did you?”
"…No.”
"Why? There's no one you can trust?”
"Detective…”
"Have you had a person in mind? Someone you suspect? ”
"Not yet.”
"Well, I don't feel surprised at all." Lee Soomin opened the folder and took out a photo. They could see what was on it, but they didn't know his meaning until the following question hit them right between the eyes. 
"Can you explain why your hair is in the victim's fist?”

 

 


"This is ing insane!!”
Jeongyeon had to press the button to lower the volume in case her neighbors came to sue her.
"How could he? I even apologized in front of his face, he even confronted me, saying it was not my…”
"We don't know that yet, Yugyeom, calm down." Jihyo's voice appeared. "Unless Taecyeon oppa admit it, I don't believe it's him.”
"…Me either." Jeongyeon and BamBam said at the same time.
"You guys think I want to believe it?" Yugyeom exclaimed: "You saw the evidences, didn't you? The hair, the IP, the testimony of the administrator, they are all ing real! He also fits the profile!”
"…Bam, can you take him out for a walk or something?" Jihyo pressed another call button to talk to BamBam in private. "He needs to chill…Meh. We all need to."
"Ok. I'll talk to you later.”
Hearing two beep sounds which indicated the occupants went offline, Jeongyeon leaned back and rested her back on the couch. "I don't blame him. He has the reason to be mad.”
"I want to shout at somebody too." Jihyo murmured, frustrated by what she saw.
"Hey…Why am I hearing that kimbamp vendor's sound? Are you at the outside of the headquarters?”
"Damn right." She slammed the car door closed. The boys said they would meet her up at the hallway but she hadn't caught sight of anyone of them. "If we don't collect some evidences, how can we track down by ourselves and how do we know where to start?”
"You'll be kicked out in one minute. No, in 30 seconds. We're suspended, remember? Lee Soomin's eyes are everywhere in the headquarters now!”
"And thanks to our kindness and good works, some officers who are not affiliated right under our unit are willing to help me."
"Who?”
"You wouldn't know them even if I tell you their names. Cut it out.”
"Them? Wow, our popularity is better than the Internal.”
"Sure thing." Jihyo pulled her cap lower before jumping to the back of a pillar. "Why do I have to act like a thief to enter MY workplace? Fine, I'm here to steal copies anyway. Just where are those…Oh, there they are!"
Jeongyeon didn't know exactly what was going on, but the noise of the vendor and the car horns gradually faded away and replaced by some faint talking.
"You're in there?" She asked when she heard the familiar machine sounds.
"I never knew I will miss my office so much. Wait wha…This is fuc…freaking ridiculous!”
Jeongyeon straightened her body. "What's wrong? You got caught!?"
"Who the hell messed up my desk like this!?”
"Huh?"
"Ahh! Must be the Internal, Minseok said today is the safest for me to come because they just finished searching…AHH! This is World War III! Am I their biggest suspect so they destroy my office?"
Geez, what a relief. Jeongyeon rolled her eyes and her shoulders relaxed. It must be a mess (not that serious) in Jihyo's office and she knew she hated when things went disorder, but at least it was way better than she actually got caught.
"I guess they didn't bother to clean for you. Did anything lose?"
"No, I don't think so. I have nothing to hide, they can search whatever they want, but I'll appeal right after we reinstate!"
Jihyo hurriedly gathered a few equipment and some files from her computer. She knew what she did was risky, but do nothing made her feel useless, she would rather choose to take risk.
Jeongyeon didn't interrupt when her partner was looking for what they needed, she grabbed her laptop over and clicked a document she took out from the unit without others' notices. They never believed Taecyeon would be the mole, but the ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter