Hit

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought we are his bodyguards?”

“You thought it right.”

“Then we should be the one spying on him! I mean, in a proper way of course. Why do we have to carry this with us?”

Tzuyu was holding a tracker of the same size as a coin in her palm. “He thinks we will run by ourselves when someone comes to kill him?”

“I present you the richest control freak in Korea, kiddo.”

“Stop calling me that, Jihyo unnie.” They were talking through the earphone but Jihyo knew Tzuyu must be pouting at this moment. “I am an adult now!”

“Yeah, yeah, how could you not be?” Jihyo chuckled. “Where’s your ostrich unnie?”

“Spacing out, staring at the upstart’s wife.”

“……”

Jihyo sighed and pressed another call button. “Yoo Jeongyeon, keep your work in mind. Don’t try to turn off the earphone this time because I can remote this line on from here! You can certainly go talk to her and hug her or even say ‘Yo! I’m your Jeongyeon, run away with me now!’, only when Jung Taein is not around.”

“I won’t do that.” Jeongyeon hissed with slight annoyance in her voice.

“Meh. Turn on the camera so I can see what you see.”

Within few seconds, the computer screen in the control room lit up, displaying the inside of the Jung’s mansion. They were standing in the living room with a few other staffs, the couple was beside the room door on second floor which to Jihyo was the up right of the screen.

“I like how you braid you hair today." Taein said while picking up a red tie. “Nah, not this…Pick one for me, honey.”

Nayeon was looking outside the window, didn’t seem to pay attention on what he said. “Nayeon? You hear me?”

“Huh? Oh, s-sorry. A t-tie, right? You need a tie…”

She took a glimpse at the ties that were placing on the edge of the bed, grabbed an all-black one without much think. “Will this do?”

“Anything you say.” He put it on and smirked while looking her and himself in the mirror. “I think it looks fine. Come here.”

“W-What’s wrong?”

“Come.” Taein didn’t wait for her to start walking but pulled her over. Nayeon stood in front the mirror with Taein hugging her from behind, he bent down a little to whisper, his breaths were right next to her ear.

“I’ve been stressful, about those things I said…I know I didn’t express myself well, but you have to understand that’s all because I love you, I want the best for us.”

Nayeon did not feel like talking and wanted to step out his embrace but he tightened his arms and turned her around. He had a tall and broad stature, Nayeon knew that since long ago, but he never pressured her so much like now. Sensing her tension, Taein slowly loosened his grip and spoke in a gentle tone. “We will get through this together, ok? I promise.”

He raised one hand to caress her cheek but was avoided by a light turn. “It’s time to go, right? They are waiting for us downstairs.” She forced a smile and walked out the room. Taein looked at her, holding the words back but his expression failed to conceal.

Be patient.

Seeing the two coming down the stairs, Jeongyeon straightened her body and nodded. It would be a lie if she said her mood was not lightened up after seeing Nayeon’s act. She refused his touch. She really did.

Leaving the mansion, they drove behind the Jung’s limo, following by three other cars tailing behind. “I feel like we’re being stalked.” Tzuyu murmured, staring at the review mirror from the passenger seat. “I bet his father also asked his guards to spy on us.”

“Well, in that case, they are going to be disappointed.” Jeongyeon said after turning the steering wheel to the left. “We have the best white hat hacker, don’t we? I’m sure megaphone can block all the signals they send to interfere us.”

“Yeah, yeah, you only praise me when you need me.” Jihyo rolled her eyes. “Quick reminder, there will be countless media, which also means countless encumbrances. You all know how much I hate them always prying and interviewing when there’s something apparently more important so don’t be afraid to kick them out of your ways if anything happen.”

Tzuyu the radio, almost every channel was reporting the conference of the new innovative shopping mall that held by the Jung. Even if not everyone knows where the location before, they all know now.

“Let’s just hope today ends safe and sound.”

About an hour later, they arrived to the venue in downtown, media and onlookers were already crowding outside the security fences. Jung Hookym stepped out his limo first, following by two burly men, then Taein and Nayeon with two other guards. Jeongyeon and Tzuyu got off their car as well, the rest of the guards formed a circle with them in the middle, blocking the crowds from coming closer to the aisle. The noise and talk did not stop for a tiny second, Jung Hookym turned around to face the masses after hearing all kinds of querying and suspecting. “Thank you all for attending tonight, all of your questions will be answer in the conference. Please be patient and follow the order so we can enjoy tonight together.”

“I can’t say I’ve seen lots of people, but,” Jeongyeon frowned and said with a volume only the three of them could hear. “He’s definitely not somebody sincere. I will never want to have contact with this kind of person.”

“Like father like son.” Jihyo’s voice came into her ears.

“Yeah, they are alike, but not that much. I don’t know, I just feel like this way.”

“Well, me too. You guys in there now?”

“Yes. They are heading to the stage, I think we’ll have to wait backstage or in audience.” Jeongyeon took a glimpse at the girl who was trying her best to smile. “I feel bad for her.”

“Are you able to go next to her?”

“I can try. Why?”

“Let me talk to her. I only need a few seconds.”

“…Ok.”

Nayeon looked around, a rectangle table was placed on the stage with few chairs and microphones, the projection screen in the middle was lightened up and showed the title page of the shopping mall’s plan case. Taein put a lot effort in making this PowerPoint, she often heard him criticizing his employees for not making it good enough or asking them to redo no matter how late it was, he also requested to enter the conference site before the press because he wanted to be 100% sure that nothing would go wrong in person.

Nayeon knew this M&A meant a lot to him, to the Jung. If they successfully built this plaza which proclaimed to service the public with technology, their business would hit a new peak and no other could match. On top of that, his position in his family would be firmer, that was absolutely important to him, maybe it was also good news to herself. Though what happened few days ago really bothered her but to be honest, she didn’t feel relieved or happy thinking of his upcoming success.

“Miss Im.”

Nayeon turned back and saw the short-haired girl walking toward her with hesitation. “Yes?”

“Someone wants to speak to you.” Jeongyeon pulled out her earphone and handed it to her. “…I hope she’ll make you feel better.”

Without further asking, Nayeon gently put the earphone on. “Hello?”

“Hey there.”

“Jihyo.” Nayeon let out a weak smile. “I should’ve guessed it’s you.”

“Actually, I don’t really know what to say to cheer you up, I don’t have any lame jokes anymore.” Jihyo heard her chuckled slightly. “Just want you to know, even though you cannot see us, we are all here with you, ok?”

“We?”

“Oh, I-I mean, me. Yeah, m-me. Keep smiling, will you? Time will pass before you aware. If you need somebody to talk with, Jaehee is there.”

Nayeon did not get her hidden implication, she simply thought Jihyo meant she could speak to her through her partner. “Thank you. I’m so glad you are here.”

She gave the earphone back and thanked Jeongyeon. The media started flocking into the venue, Taein and Tzuyu came to their side almost concurrently.

“BamBam and Yugyeom oppa are on standby, we can move to the back now, ostrich unnie.”

“Let’s go, honey, it’s about to start.”

Ostrich?

Nayeon puzzled for a second but two tall girls already bowed to her and walked away before she was pulled to the stage. “Hey.” Taein whispered. “You don’t have to talk, but you have to focus.”

Same nickname, what a coincidence...Maybe this is why she makes me feel familiar?

With the sound of shutters all around and flashlights stinging her eyes and people filling the seats, the conference had begun.

“As you can see here, we set up 2 to 3 LCD touch screens at the entrance of each floor.” Taein slightly tapped his fingers and the secretary clicked the mouse, switching the PowerPoint to the following page. “Just put your eye near the scanning devices attached below…bang!” Some exaggerated

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter