Reveal

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Suspend the agents, lock up their chief, delay your unit to investigate the chief’s house…You did a great job, Detective Lee.”

With a swift slide, a briefcase was pushed in front of him. “Here are the rest as we agreed. Finished one last work, I have extra bonus for you.”

Lee Soomin opened the briefcase, the money arranged neatly inside took away his self-conscious and hesitation. “What do you want me to do next?”

“Good, I knew you would take this.”

His phone rang, indicated a mail was sent to him. They had been connecting through emails for the past few months, everything that needed him to do was directed in this way. Lee Soomin was not stupid, he tried to track the IP, but ended up with nothing because he couldn’t look for the top technicians in the bureau.

“You are generous, I appreciate that. But I hope this is really my one last time. My colleagues have started suspecting me, I can’t do it anymore.”

“Don’t worry.” A smirk appeared on a face behind the pinhole camera where Lee Soomin had no ways to catch it. “This one is easy, you can get your money quicker than ever. You are free after tomorrow, I never met you, and you never met me.”

The day came and Lee Soomin was the first to show up at the bureau. The edict was already placed on his desk just like the mail written, he looked around in alert but everybody was suspicious in his eyes. He shook the thoughts off, trying to convince himself there was only one more left. Finished this, he would get the wealth he had thought that he would never have even if he worked his off, he could live with his money and forget about what he had done.

“Sir, it’s me.”

“Come in.”

He put his phone back to his pocket and Detective Park walked in. “We’re ready to leave.”

“Then let’s leave.”

Footsteps were coming to his direction but Taecyeon wasn’t paying attention, until a click sound caused him to lift his head up.

“Good morning, Chief Ok.” Lee Soomin stood at the opposite of the table. “Stand up, please.”

Taecyeon watched the other two detectives come closer. “What is this about?”

“You know it better than I do.”

“Stop joking.” His jaw tensed while remaining the sitting position. “You got no proof to send me to the court.”

“You visited Chief Son for two consecutive days, we have the reason to believe you were prying for the right timing for your partner, not to mention we have evidences and testimony…”

“The hair you found in Chief Son’s hand, only one has follicle, doesn’t it? No prosecutors or judges will think it was pulled directly from my head, they’ll think it was collected from my office or house and placed in his hand intentionally. As for the witness who saw K entering that building? You expect them to believe that one-sided words? Did any surveillance capture K? Did you find any traces he left in that apartment? Let’s be honest, you have nothing.”

Lee Soomin stared at him, there was a moment Taecyeon knew he saw the fright in his eyes. Why is he scared?

“You are an expert, aren’t you, Chief Ok? You can learn of everything and play mind game with me even though you are in the cell.” He switched his sight to the other two detectives. “Handcuff him and take him out.”

 

 

 

 

“You got the news, Bam?”

“Yeah. I’m on the way to the bureau with Yugyeom.”

“So am I.”

Tzuyu glanced at her watch. “Why are they taking Taecyeon oppa to the detention center? Doesn’t it mean they’re gonna sue and trial him? Is this even in line with the rules?”

“I don’t know. This is too unexpected.” BamBam honked the horn with irritation. “C’mon, move!”

“Have you called Minseok? Or Namjun?”

“I tried, Minseok did not answer and Namjun said he learnt about it merely an hour ago, he knows no more than we do.”

“Then we can only go confront Lee Soomin. The Internal knows something, something that the boys were kept from.”

Tzuyu looked at the time again. “We’d better hurry, I bet the car’s leaving in 30 minutes.”

“. I’ll call Namjun again and see if he can buy us some time.”

Ending the call with BamBam, Tzuyu called Jeongyeon and Jihyo once more but she could get through none of them. The typhoon made the streets scatter with branches and litters, the communication was also affected, she couldn’t help but worry that even if she was able to contact them, they could not rush back in time and help them to stop the Internal.

After a while of driving as fast as legally possible, Tzuyu finally arrived to the bureau. She yet not dashed inside, a small group of people appeared at the hall, making her halt and squint her eyes. It was Detective Park, leading four other detectives of the Internal with Taecyeon between them.

“Excuse me, you are not allowed to talk to the suspect.”

Detective Park scurried over and raised one arm to block Tzuyu from breaking through. “You are not allowed to show up here before you are proved clean either.”

“I respect you, you are a good cop, Detective Park.” Tzuyu refused to move aside. “So don’t tell me you don’t feel a slightest of suspicion. The evidence and witness are not strong enough, you know that!”

He avoided her look. “It’s my duty to follow the order.”

“You’re still acting brain-dead after you spoke to Jeon Jungkook? Even I could see the uneasiness on his face from afar, how could you not?”

“How do you…” He frowned. “You followed me?”

“Yes, you’re gonna arrest me?” Seeing him did not react but simply stared at her, Tzuyu grabbed the opportunity and ran to Taecyeon.

“Listen, oppa, I have a new suspect, I can…”

“No, you shouldn’t be here. Leave now.”

Taecyeon stopped her with concerned eyes and whispered with the volume that could only be heard between them.

“I said leave now. Tell the others to go back too.”

“W-Why? We can’t just see you being sent into prison and…”

“This whole situation is much more complicate than I expected.”

Taecyeon took a glimpse around. “I’m afraid we’re being watched. Don’t interrupt his plan…no, his fantasy, don’t get yourselves burned. Let him hold sway, I can drive his attention away from you and give you time, nothing is more important than catch him, you understand me?”

Tzuyu swallowed hard. Taecyeon was using himself as the sacrifice and walked into K’s cage for them.

“This is an order, agent Chou.”

A cough caught their attentions, Lee Soomin appeared from nowhere and stood a little too close to her.

“Before I call the officers here,” He gestured the gate. “You'd better go out by yourself.”

Tzuyu looked at Taecyeon, he nodded as if telling her not to play hardball with the Internal, and the one behind. She hated to admit but the rest of the unit members had to keep themselves safe in order to keep investigating, otherwise Taecyeon and everyone would have to encounter more dangers.

The sunlight stung his eyes when he was taken out of the building, it had been more than a week since he last standing at an open space. When is he gonna target me again? Has he set a hitman on court waiting for me? Taecyeon saw Tzuyu in a few meters away, the torment on her expression was obvious. He knew it was not easy for these young agents to stay on the sidelines, even he himself couldn’t guarantee his own safety despite under the jurisdiction of the government, but they had to consider what the first priority was.

Find the murderer, and the mole.

The car slowly drove passed Tzuyu and to the driveway, it was time for him to be transferred.

“Hey, hold on!”

To Taecyeon’s surprise, Tzuyu rushed over again. Before he could try to persuade her, two officers stepped out and blocked her way.

“No one’s in the car!”

…What does that mean?

“The car is empty!” Tzuyu exclaimed: “No one’s driving, something’s wrong!!”

No driver?

Then how come it came and stopped so accurately in f…

“What kind of bull is that?”

Lee Soomin ignored her and opened the car door. His body stiffened, along with everybody there who could see what was on the passenger seat.

A poker.

Spade K.

“RUN——”

“GET DOWN!!”

Tzuyu saw those Detectives’ fearful expressions. She heard the officers beside her gasp. She felt cold sweat dripping down her temple.

Before the countdown reached to the end and the blow sent her to mid-air, Taecyeon shouting her name was the last thing she heard and remembered.

By the time Jeongyeon and Jihyo managed to rush back, the outside of the bureau was still a total mess.

“Bam, you all right!? Can you hear me? What exactly happened?”

Jihyo ran to the boys who were sitting on stretchers, BamBam looked up at her, trying to mouth something but immediately turned away to vomit.

“Explosion impact.”

Yugyeom came over and rested a hand on his shoulder. “He can’t hear you now, his ears are buzzing severely.”

“What about you? Are you ok?”

“I wasn’t that near to the bomb so…” He pointed at the bandage on the side of his neck. “I’m ok. But…”

Jihyo felt her heart sink to her stomach when Yugyeom lowered his head.

“…Tzuyu is not. Chief Ok is not either.”

“How…How many of us were injured?”

Looking around and spotted everything chaotic, Jeongyeon ran her fingers through her hair, not wanting the frustration to affect her though it seemed to have affected her a lot already.

What should I do now?

“Jeongyeonnie.”

She turned around, Nayeon had her phone in her grip, her expression was as anxious as her.

“I think I should go to the hospital…Sana just called me, she’s waiting for Tzuyu outside the operating room…”
“T-Tzuyu?”

“Yeah.” Nayeon bit her lip. “Sana said it’s not good, she doesn’t sound good either…It’s better for me to go accompany her.”

Though Jeongyeon didn’t want her to leave her sight and go to the place she did not like at all, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter