Hazy

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This is already the third bottle you drank.” Jihyo wrested the soju in her partner’s hand. “Are you gonna tell me or not? And why are you here by the way? Don’t you two have to accompany Mr. Upstart?”

Jeongyeon scoffed, trying to wrest the bottle back but failed. “I’d rather I’m accompanying him now.”

“What do you mean? Where did he go?”

“…I hate myself. I hate what I have done, I hate the truth that even if the time returned I might still do the same. I don’t expect you to understand, maybe you would never…”

“You’re right, I don’t.” Jihyo put the bottle down on the pavement. “So make me.”

Jeongyeon gazed at the street across from the park they were sitting in, pedestrians and vehicles passed by occasionally, the lights of cars and stores were shining from time to time. She remembered Nayeon liked this kind of bustling city view a lot, she bet she still likes it but she couldn’t stay by her side and admired with her. Instead, she left her at that quiet and suburban mansion with a certain man, pushed her to his arms even though her heart was aching and tearing inside.

How are they doing?

She must be surprised or even touched by now.

Will she be happy?

 

 

 

 

“I admit I don’t understand women very much.” This morning when Jung Taein was heading to meet an official, he asked Jeongyeon to drive him since his usual driver was sent to his father. Jeongyeon peaked at the review mirror, making sure he was talking to her.

“You’ve seen my wife, what do you think about her?”

The traffic light turned red and Jeongyeon stepped the brake. She peaked the mirror again and saw him was also looking at her. “You didn’t hear me wrong, Ryu. I asked you a question.”

“She is…beautiful. And kind.”

“Yeah, how could she not be?” Taein chuckled. “Ya know, the first time I met her was on the volleyball court, she was the first girl in college who took the initiative to talk to me and asked if I need any help when most of the others tried hard not to because I am their elder sunbae and also the coach.”

The elder sunbae and coach that gave people pressure, precisely. “She looked nothing like a girl who played sports, she often got hit by the ball…I don’t know why,” Jeongyeon’s lips slightly curved up when imagining. Yeah, she is really like this. “I just couldn’t move my eyes away from her. She came to cheer for her classmates almost every competition and unlike other girls, she always stood close to the court regardless of the hot weather or strong wind. The way she acclaimed and jumped up and down when we scored was the cutest I’ve ever seen. That was when I found myself craving to see her every day, to talk to her no matter how short the conversation was. I once thought she would never become my girl but…The world keeps turning and changing. The year when her friend died and her mother was sick, it was tough to her, of course, but if that didn’t happen I wouldn’t be able to win her heart. It was definitely the chance that god offered me.”

The traffic light turned green but Jeongyeon did not notice, her hands gripped tightly on the steering wheel. The cars behind honked the horns, she stepped the accelerator in time before Taein heeded anything unusual.

“You know there’s a saying…Heaven helps those who help themselves? I think I am a great example, see? She’s mine now. The day we got married was the happiest day of my life. Every kisses and hugs we shared were so unforgettable and amazing.”

Some people only pour their hearts to someone they knew and trust, some people tend to open up to bar tenders, barbers or taxi drivers, Jung Taein was obvious the second type. Maybe because these outsiders won’t judge them that much. Maybe because they don’t have any close ones to talk to.

“Why are you telling me this?” Jeongyeon asked with her poker face and dimmed orbs. Taein looked distracted for few seconds before laughed. “Wow, I didn’t even realize…Never mind, it’s good to let people know I love my wife. This is not the first time I talk about our story, but with someone I recently knew…You are actually the first one.”

As if I should be appreciate. She stopped in front of a tall building as told, Taein made a call and after about 10 minutes, a man showed at the gate and scampered to the car.

“You owe me once, bro.” The man complained the moment he slammed the door. “It is so damn hard to find a 10 carat pure diamond ring. Do you know how many strings I have pulled?”

“I’m sure you got it, Lee Soohyun. Otherwise you wouldn’t even be here now.”

Soohyun rolled his eyes and slapped the velvet box on his thigh. “Screw you.”

“Thanks, I know you can do it.” Taein smirked and put the ring in his pocket.

“That’s it? You’re not gonna tell me your plan tonight?”

“…What?”

“C’mon, you took my advices and my help to prepare this surprise for your wife, I have rights to know what exactly you are going to do and you know you can’t complete it without my confirmation of those details.”

Taein wanted to keep it a secret but Soohyun had a point. He knows how to deal with women way much better than him.

“I…I booked that French restaurant a month ago, I will go first and wait for her when my driver drive her there. After dinner, we will go to MK concert hall for the performance of symphony orchestra.”

Soohyun listened carefully and nodded. Both of them did not bother to roll up the soundproof glass or lowered their voice so Jeongyeon could hear clearly what they were saying.

“When we get back to the house, she’ll find I decorated our room with flowers and perfume and this new diamond ring will be placed on the middle of our bed. That’s all.”

“Not bad. Diamond is not a problem, all women love it, but you sure she likes French food and symphony?”

Then there were couple minutes of argument. To be honest, Soohyun was right, Jeongyeon thought. Nayeon wouldn’t like to eat at a restaurant with complex meals and cutleries, not to mention dressing in night gown for whole night. From the way Taein looked like in the mirror, he seemed to be convinced.

“Fine. What do you suggest?”

 

 

 

 

“I’m curious too. What did Mr. Darcy suggest?”

“Forget about the restaurant and the orchestra, go home and prepare the dinner by himself. Give his driver a night off, he should go and pick her up.”

Jihyo shrugged. “At least it’s better than the original. So that’s why you are here? You got a day off?”

“Yep.”

“Is he really gonna cook by himself? Hell, I hope he decides to get some delivers or I might have to buy antacid for her.”

“She’ll be fine. I cooked the meals.”

“Y-You what!?” Jihyo’s eyes could not be wider. “Are you kidding me?”

Jeongyeon shot her a glare and sighed. “No.”

“Why? Did he ask you to do that?”

“Kind of. After his friend said he should cook and asked what’s her favorite, he obviously had no idea but pretended that he knew everything and mentioned all kinds of bull. I didn’t even realize I was sneering and caught their attention.”

“And?”

“He was unpleasant at first but then he came up with this, saying I am your partner, you are her friend, I must have heard from you about what she likes. I was panic, really, I didn’t know how to react so I just told him the truth.”

“Truth about what!?”

“About what meals she likes. What else could it be?”

“Jeez.” Jihyo’s nerves eased. “I thought you told him your…Meh. And how did you end up cooking for them?”

“As you said, I can’t let him do the work and watch her swallow tons of painkiller after today, right? He couldn’t find a cook in such a short time either so I said I can help. He approved, I thought he was gonna watch me for the entire time, but his friend pulled him away and I only saw he gave him a small pack, no idea what they were talking next. I saved his money and let him win all the credits, how perfect it is.”

“So you’re here drinking because you are dispirited.” Jeongyeon could feel her partner crossing her arms. “You want her to be blessed, you know how to make her happy, but you did all you can just to make her feel loved by somebody else. I don’t even wanna ask why.”

Knowing what she said was true but hurt, Jihyo sighed and changed the topic. “What did you make for her?”

“Nothing special, just onion steaks, broccoli and cream sauce bacon pasta.”

“Wow, I didn’t know you can cook so…Wait. What if she finds those meals taste familiar? She might think of you…”

“That won’t happen.” Jeongyeon scoffed. “This is the first time I cook for her plus those are very common dishes. There’s no such thing named familiar.”

 

 

 

 

“Um, Taein…What exactly is going on?”

“Be patient, cutie, you’ll see.”

Taein held her waist with his right hand and covered her eyes with his left. “Come on, there’s nothing to be afraid.”

Nayeon walked close but hesitantly with him, wondering what he was hiding when they were obviously three feet in front of their house, the way he acted like they were a happy and deeply in love couple who had a lot in common also confounded her. “Click”, she heard the front door opened, nothing specific could be sensed from inside.

Taein led her to the living room and stopped. Before removing his hand from her eyes, he looked around to check one last time. He prepared this event with all his heart, he wanted to make her understand how precious she was to him, he was eager to have her all for himself.

“Ready? One, two, three!”

Nayeon slowly opened her eyes and surprise was all over her face.

“This is…I…”

Most of the lights in house were turned off, few candles were placed in the living room which made the atmosphere a little dusky and ambiguous. A slim vase with one red rose inside was at the middle of the coffee table, the meals were neatly set and Taein walked to grab two cushions she never seen before.

Is this why he has been more patient and better temper recently? Is this his kind of peace offering?

Nayeon felt uneasy thinking of his total different attitude and how quick he was able to alter. What is his attempt…?

She was slightly shocked by the thought and quickly shook it off. Don’t be so petty, I’m sure he’s out of good intentions, he did because he thinks I’ll like it…

“Come here, you must be hungry.” He held her hand and led her to sit down on the cushion he put beside the coffee table. “Um, if you don’t feel comfortable eating here…We can move back to the dining room, but we can watch a movie while we eat, so I think…”

“Did you…prepare these? I mean, the candles, the flower, the meals…”

“Yes. You like it?”

“Y-Yes.” Actually the atmosphere was somber to her, she wanted to turn the lights on but she didn’t say it because the food had her full attention. The scented dishes on the coffee table made her lower her guard and smile, heartily, because it had been a long time since she had a meal full of the dishes she likes, they all looked delicious and it was also the first time he cooked for her. Knowing he tried hard and put efforts, Nayeon let the suspicions go and said sincerely: “Thank you, Taein. It must took you a lot of time and work.”

“Anything for you, honey.” Hearing her words and seeing her expression, Taein couldn’t help but grinned widely. This is a good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter