Epilogue—Us (part 1)

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The guy in police uniform, 11 o’clock, his truncheon is not at the right position. How many officers did you say were assigned today, Jihyo?”

“Six. Two at the back door, two at the front gate, two stay inside with us.”

“I just counted three.”

“So it’s not my illusion...”

“Let’s move. Move!”

Within seconds, the agents had encircled from different directions, blocked the suspect’s escape routes one by one. Jihyo was watching from the pinholes like always, as Tzuyu approached the panic suspect, his face was shown clearly on her monitor.

“Kim Junyoung, 32, the former employee of City Bank.” She said, fingers tapping quickly on the keyboard. “He was fired by the manager because several female clients had sue him for ual harassment.”

“What, so now he’s back here to revenge? I’m actually glad he’s not well prepared.”

“Follow my order! One, two…”

BamBam didn’t wait until three to launch forward and clutched Kim Junyoung’s wrist, making him yelp and loosen the gun in his hand which the safety catch was still on. The man swung his burly body, Yugyeom and Tzuyu rushed up at the same time, one punched him right on the nose and the other helped to press him on the marble floor.

“All clear!”

Thirty minutes later, Tzuyu walked to her car, one hand untied the vest she was wearing and the other clicked the messages on her phone.

“Of all the things you could learn from your ostrich unnie,” Jihyo’s voice came from the earpiece. “You really want to keep on punching other’s nose?”

“That is quite efficient, don’t you think so?”

“Meh, why did I even ask?” Jihyo rolled her eyes. “Anyway, how much longer can you get to the bureau?”

“In 20 minutes. I want to see them as soon as possible.”

“Me too. I’ll meet you downstairs then? Let’s pick up your girlfriend first and we can go.”

“Copy.”

Jihyo stuffed her belongings and small gifts she prepared in her backpack. Before turning off her computers, her sight landed on those medical researches she had been looking and stuck them all over the wall.

As a white-hat, she believed in and relied on the internet a lot, so ever since that day, she started to search for all kinds of information online, in hope to find the best solution and gained more confidences from those statistical data that indicated the recovery probability.

But real life was never the same as papers. Jihyo gazed at her lock-screen photo and sighed. It was the selfie the three of them took together years ago. Recalling that day, that incident, nobody talked about it anymore as if it was left in the past— but not everything was left in the past, they were all aware.

It’s been a year.

 

 

 

 

The siren was stinging her hearing, the talks around her messed her minds even worse, the girl on the stretcher was breathing shorter and more unstable.

“Give me morphine, 10mg!”

“Why is it taking longer to the hospital?”

“Get those cars move!! NOW!”

“Her blood pressure is dropping…”

“Clear, clear!!”

A medic pushed her aside and blocked her, she could only stare at her love, blankly and helplessly, tears streaming down like waterfall.

“Beep beep--”

The sound caught her off guard, she turned to the electrocardiogram, the line on it was flat with no curves anymore.

“NO!”

She wanted to grab her hand, she wanted to hug her and shook her awake, but a force stopped her, even pulled her away.

“Where are you taking me to? Stop! No!” She struggled, her vision gradually blurred and words she screamed were all muted.

“Don’t leave, you promised…Don’t leave me……”

“Crack---”

It was already morning. She didn’t remember falling into slumber.

The sun slowly raised to the window’s level, lightened up the floor and their small bedroom. Jeongyeon felt the warmth on her face, it was cozy, it also relieved her from the dream she was having. But when she sensed the emptiness between her arms, her relief and tiredness disappeared in a flash.

“Bump”

She jolted up, dashing out of the room, and she saw it. Her expression became gloomy even though she could never be angry with this certain girl.

“J-Jeongyeonnie, I…”

“Did you hurt?” She scurried over, brows furrowed.

“No…”

“You fell. I heard the sound from inside the room.”

“I’m fine, really, I just…”

Jeongyeon didn’t let her finish. She squatted down and carried Nayeon up, made sure she was held firmly before standing up. She had long been used to do this in the past one year.

“I don’t want to go back to bed.” Nayeon mumbled, disliked to be treated like a fragile patient and always had to lie on the pillow and mattress. She knew Jeongyeon had her reasons, but it still felt awful. Jeongyeon sighed and put her down on the couch in the living room instead.

“I’ll get you a blanket.”

When she returned, Nayeon was trying to reach the water cups on the coffee table, she was on the edge of the couch and in Jeongyeon’s eyes, on the edge of falling again.

“Hey, hey. Why you didn’t call me? Can’t you wait till I come back?”

Nayeon’s body was lifted up and buried in the cushions a little forcibly. “You want cold or warm?” Jeongyeon sat down between her and the coffee table, grabbing the cup over without looking at her. Nayeon gripped her hand, making her turn to face her.

“Stop frowning.” She said, her free hand caressed the skin between Jeongyeon’s brows. “You don’t look good with that.”

“You had me worried to death and you…” Jeongyeon closed her eyes after meeting Nayeon’s. The last thing she wanted was saying those words due to anxiety and hurt her. “…I’m sorry. I just…I mean, I was dreaming about…” She swallowed. “And I woke up but you were gone, you should’ve been right there, you can’t move safely by yourself, and then that bump, you know it was loud an…”

“Look at me, Jeongyeonnie.” Nayeon rested her palm on her cheek. “I’m fine.”

“You always say you’re fine.”

Nayeon recoiled lightly when hearing it. Jeongyeon traced her fingers on the tiny scars on Nayeon’s temple and jaw, and the still visible ones on her arms. There were more under her clothes, but Jeongyeon chose not to look at them at that moment.

“You know, I once told myself…I would never let you have these stuffs in common with me. I promised to keep you unharmed. You have always been the purest to me, I need you in my life…but I never wanted you to live my life. Not like this.”

She recalled how Nayeon had been wounded and bleeding when she was pushed into the ER. She swore her breaths choked when overheard the doctors talking about how difficult for them to pull those glass shards out of her body and how she was on the edge of death with that amount of blood loss. And of course, she told Nayeon none of these. Jeongyeon touched Nayeon’s thigh and down to her knee, dejection was added in her already dimmed orbs. If there was something pained her most, that was it.

“I have faith in myself.” Nayeon cupped her cheeks. “Don’t you have faith in me?”

“I-I didn’t say that, I…”

Her jabbers were hushed when Nayeon placed her lips onto hers. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter