Broken

The Girl of Interest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why so nervous?”

The figure crossed his legs that were resting on the table. “It’s only a matter of time. In fact, I’m surprised they took so long to find out about me.” He sneered. “Guess it’s just too hard to admit something you don’t want to believe.”

“What…What are you gonna do, hyung?” The voice on the other side of the call sounded anxious. “I saw them in the archives rummaging every case you participated! They know it’s you now, they sure will come to you!”

“Let’s see if it’s they coming to me…or me going to them.”

He stood up and walked to the wall beside the small window. “Keep me update. I’ll tell you what to do and when will the show start.”

“…Ok.”

The figure hung up the phone before stared at himself on the window. Not just the reflection was blurry, his features themselves were also blurry, and they had been like this for a while.

Four years.

It was enough to ruin a living person. It was enough for someone who suffered mental breakdown to change. It was enough for helpless to turn into rage.

It was also enough to find each person who should pay for what he had been through.

Five pictures were sticking high on the wall but after months, there was only one left. His fingers traced on the four tape marks, his swollen lips curved up as he recalling how the blood dripping down their faces and how they choked on their last breaths. As he stopped at the one photo that remained, the twist smile became a grin. Mark, Jinyoung, Chief Son, Taecyeon…The best should always be left till the end.

“Can’t wait to see you, old friend.”

 

 

 

 

The office door was pushed open and Nayeon lifted her head up immediately. Jeongyeon slowed her paces as she noticed the two girls’ concerned sights.

“There’s a vendor machine down the hall, right?” Sana stood up from the couch. “I’ll…go get us some coffee.”

Once Sana left the space for them, Jeongyeon felt the pressure on her shoulders turned heavier. She pulled a chair over and sat in front of her girl, not forgetting to grip her hand in hers.

“I don’t want to scare you, but…there’s something you have to know.”

Nayeon bit her lip. “The first time you said that sentence to me…you broke the principal’s office window and you wanted me to guard outside when you sneaked in and took the ball back. The second time was when you punched a boy in high school because he harassed me in science class and his parents were asking you to compensate.”

Jeongyeon remembered. Her head lowered slightly as the guilty feels came up.

“…So what is it this time?” Nayeon asked, her voice faint like a whisper.

“The case I’ve investigated for the past months…went wrong.” Jeongyeon spoke with some difficulties as she tried to use the proper vocabularies. “New evidences and new suspect were found, we have to open it again.”

Of course this was not an answer since the crucial parts were skipped, but Jeongyeon’s breath still hitched when Nayeon questioned: “And…?”

“For the safety…Your safety,” Jeongyeon forced herself to look at Nayeon’s eyes. “The protection is required.”

“…Don’t talk to me like a cop to his victim. Talk to me like yourself, Jeongyeonnie.”

She inhaled sharply. “This guy is a serial killer. His target is my team. I…and my loved ones…are his main targets.” Even if he didn’t know I am Yoo Jeongyeon because of my face…He must know it now. “It’s not just me, you are one of them too.”

To be honest, that was not really a surprise to Nayeon because she could guess it from the shootout earlier and the way the thug killed Taein to get to her. It felt like a bad news being confirmed, but that was not she worried the most either.

“What are you planning to do?”

Knowing what was in her mind, Jeongyeon gripped her hand tighter. "I already informed your boss. You have to take a longer leave.”

“W-What?”

“I’m not going to put you in witness protection…not so fast, but you can’t stay here. Not our apartment, not your old mansion, you have to go to somewhere else.”

Nayeon gulped. “Where?”

“…I don’t know. I can’t know. That’s how it works.”

Jeongyeon raised her free hand and caressed Nayeon’s cheek. “But I’ll know once I come and meet up with you.”

“S-So you’re not leaving me…?”

“Of course not, silly. I just can’t go with you now.” Jeongyeon felt Nayeon’s tensed body relaxed a bit. How afraid she was when she thought she was gonna push her away again. “This serial killer…we know who he is, and I know him most. It’s safer for you to go with the agents first, I’ll stay for a couple days, packing some stuffs we need that you don’t have time to pack and help my teammates as much as I can. We can’t contact each other in these days but you’ll see me before you aware.”

“H-How long it will be?”

Jeongyeon tugged her lips. “It will be quick. I promise.”

Nayeon slowly comprehended what was happening. “But…this means that…I have to cut ties with everything? My job, Sana, Chaeyoung, Jihyo…”

“Yes, but it is temporary. The sooner we catch this guy, the sooner we can have our life back. You trust me right, Nayeon? And Jihyo, and the team?”

Nayeon nodded as Jeongyeon said earnestly. “We will catch him.”

There seemed to have no second choice for her. Though Nayeon was flustered and a little reluctant, she believed Jeongyeon was doing the best she could for her, and Nayeon knew she was more eager to have their life back on track than her.

“C-Can I ask you something?”

“Yes?”

“Who…Who is this serial killer? Why is he targeting you?” Jeongyeon could make her hands stay still but she couldn’t prevent her orbs from shivering. “Why did you say…you know him most?”

“He was…is a fugitive I’ve chased for years.” Jeongyeon replied calmly. “I think he sees my team as the cause which he lost everything so…he wants to revenge.”

Something sharp stung Nayeon’s chest. “Can’t you go with me?” Her eyes were slightly watery. “I’m scared you would get hurt if you don’t leave in time…”

“Don’t think that way, Nayeon.” Jeongyeon pulled her into a hug and whispered beside her ear. “You are part of me, it’s my priority to protect you. And you know I cannot achieve that if I don’t protect myself well first, right?”

She felt Nayeon nodded against her shoulder. “So how can I not stay securely when I know how much you need me?”

Nayeon buried her face in her neck and held her as firmly as she could, as if trying to commit the feel of Jeongyeon to her memory before they separated. Jihyo had raised her hand and dropped down several times, until she really had to knock on the door and call her partner out.

“The agents are getting ready. I assume you’d want to check up?”

Jeongyeon nodded and headed to the elevator. The two stood inside without saying anything, Jihyo watched the light going to the lower floors, didn’t notice her brows were frowning because of countless concerns.

“You know…the circumstance is not as optimistic as what you told her. We don’t know where he is yet he knows exactly where we are. He might come to us in any second.”

“That’s why I’m sending her away. She can’t endure more bad news and she will be safer in a place which I don’t even know.”

“How long are you planning to stay here before you go to her? Wait.” Jihyo turned. “You will meet with her, you didn’t lie about it, did you?”

“I didn’t. I just need some time with the team, I can’t get away without doing anything on this.”

“You told her it will be quick.”

“I will try to be quick.”

“You have to take on the responsibility for the hope you gave her.”

Jeongyeon clenched her fist. “I know.”

“You said you will keep yourself alive in one piece. I hope you meant it.”

“I did.”

“Good.” They reached to the basement and Jihyo stepped out ahead. “If you didn’t, I would kill you by myself.”

 

 

 

 

The safe house was clean—simple. Few pieces of furniture, a living room, two bedrooms without beds and a small kitchen with one stove and some bottled water, clearly not a place to stay for long.

“Sorry for the rush.”

Nichkhun apologized after opening the door for Nayeon. “This is urgent, we have to do what is necessary.”

Nayeon gave him a weak smile. “I understand.”

“I’ll be in the living room if you need me. And uh, I know it's likely not possible, but you should get some sleep.” He tried to soften his tone. “It’s a long fight.”

The room was quiet, too quiet that her ears started to buzz. Nayeon was left alone and never bothered to take a look around. She sat on one side of the couch, back against the armrest, bending her knees to her chest.

It was kind of ironic that every person in the safe house was not safe at all. The detectives with her were nice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter