Part 14

Always

Yuju realises that ShinB is alone in the bedroom when everyone else is gathered before the television at the dorm that night, except for Yerin who is in the kitchen. Without a word, she stands up and leaves the (small) crowd for the bedroom, remembering Eunha's advice to talk to ShinB.

She halts before the bedroom and places a hand on the doorknob, sighing before she enters. 

As expected, ShinB is alone on the upper bunk, fiddling with her mobile phone. 

"Hi," she blurts, unsure of what she is to do.

She sees ShinB turning to her with confused eyes. The room stays in complete silence for a short while before ShinB goes, "Are you talking to me?"

"No, I'm talking to the walls," Yuju answers plainly. On the inside, she is fretful from her failure of an attempt to ease the tension in the air through the lame joke but her face is tired of expressing any emotion after the roller-coaster ride her heart has been on for the past few days. 

Yuju's lips slowly break into a smile when she sees ShinB crumble in a nervous laughter in the top bunk bed. Without much thought, Yuju climbs up and lies down beside the younger girl. 

"What were you doing alone here?" Yuju asks, curious and partially worried.

"Nothing," ShinB sheepishly answers, I can't possibly tell you that I've been so stressed up that you haven't been talking to me but kept on looking at me and that maybe you hate me now but I really don't want that to happen so I've just been up here worrying away, the array of words appear in her mind right after.

"Really?" Yuju raises an eyebrow in disbelief, but decides not to pursue the matter. 

ShinB puts her phone aside and lies on her side, facing Yuju, as Yuju faces her. Somehow the distance between their faces makes them both suffocate, but they both don't want to break the glance that their eyes are holding so strongly as if their hearts have been yearning for it. Yuju mindlessly sweeps the hair that was covering ShinB's face and locks it behind her ear. The contact almost makes ShinB shudder, as she feels her heart fluttering immensely inside her as if she is to burst in happiness any moment sooner. 

"Unnie," ShinB shyly calls out.

"Yes?" Yuju smiles. Is she shy? Yuju internally laughs at the thought.

"We haven't been talking for a while..." ShinB utters softly, embarrassed.

Yuju cannot help but feel butterflies all over her stomach at the sight of ShinB being so bashful and soft. She giggles a little, "Then I'll talk to you more?"

"It's okay," ShinB's reply is unexpected. 

"This is fine," ShinB grins. Yuju reciprocates the smile and gently ShinB's hair. ShinB feels as if she's hyperventilating inside, dying even, bubbling with happiness every time Yuju touches her hair with her soft, gentle hands. 

The two are startled when they hear the door open, revealing Eunha. Eunha takes a relatively long glance at the two lying on the upper bunk. 

"Yuju yah, please lend me your bed I'm so tired I don't wanna climb up," Eunha pouts.

The room remains still for a moment. What? the question flashes widely in Yuju's mind.

With a change of tone Eunha continues, "Whatever, I'm so tired now I'm just going to sleep on your bed, you can take mine," she says before plopping herself down on Yuju's bed.

"Wait then where am I going to sleep?" Yuju is almost prepared to climb back down.

"Take mine!" Eunha says loudly, "Good night!" 

The two on the upper bunks are confused. "Are you really sleeping?" Yuju asks.

When Eunha doesn't give any answer, ShinB and Yuju take the silence as a yes.

Wait, how am I going to sleep with Yuju unnie beside me the whole night?! ShinB feels terror all over her body, panicking at the thought. Wait, why can't I? she then questions her own feelings. 

ShinB doesn't find an answer, but when a part of her tells her that she's always been feeling this way before Yuju, she is easily convinced.

Yuju too, is stumped by the idea of sleeping next to the very person she's (most possibly) having a crush on right now. She freezes at the idea, but soon releases the tension in her limbs as she realises that they should start sleeping before it gets too late. 

"Okay, unnie will be sleeping beside you tonight," Yuju says before a sigh.

That doesn't sound that bad after all, ShinB thinks, "Okay," she says with a small smile.

 

author's note:

double update today for you readers who have been waiting... i'm so sorry i've just been busy with things :( school is a burden asdfghjkl