Part 12

Always

It's been a few days that the feeling and thoughts are bugging her, and she decides she can't keep it inside anymore. It doesn't help that for the past few days, whenever she's around ShinB, she starts to feel tight in her chest and behaves way too cautiously, and it's awful because being in GFriend means they see each other twenty-four hours a day. 

She constantly questions herself on the reason she's feeling this way. She debates with herself all day and night, drifting to sleep through thoughts about the way she feels towards ShinB. And one morning when her eyelids flutter open to ShinB's voice after a terrifying dream thanks to her sleep paralysis, a conclusion hits her hard.

"Unnie, everyone's awake," ShinB lightly pats her arm that is wrapped by her quilt. Yuju identifies a sweet smile on her lips despite not being able to see anything clearly as she's just awoken. Her heart pounds rapidly, and she realises: has her heart been always beating for ShinB?

Seeing the expression on Yuju's face, ShinB asks in concern, "Is something wrong? Did you have a bad dream?"

"I guess I did," Yuju mumbles with a frown and sighs, rubbing her eyes. 

ShinB squeezes Yuju's hand as a form of comfort, sending chills down her spine. 

Silently Yuju pulls the covers away and walks out of the bedroom for her morning routine, not making any respond to ShinB. ShinB watches as the older girl disappears from her view and sighs.

On the other hand, Yuju rushes into the toilet and hurriedly closes the door behind her. She takes a deep breath and stares into the mirror. Her hands tremble as she brings them to her reddened cheeks, as Yuju is still completely shaken from her discovery. 

Could it be true, Yuju nervously asks in her mind as if treading in dangerous waters, that I've fallen for ShinB?

She holds her breath by keeping tightly shut. 

She realises that she has known it for a long time now, that her heart beats for ShinB, that her lips smile for ShinB, how ShinB is somehow her favourite person in the world. Those are reactions on the outside. Yuju has never thought even deeper about her feelings. It is just now that she realises that it is love, and the love is so much more than friends, a love that surpasses that of a caring unnie to a dear dongsaeng that she has always perceived it to be.

The day goes on while the matter stays prominent in Yuju's mind, bugging her so much that nothing would take it off her mind. Yuju feels even worse when ShinB comes into her sight and finds herself avoiding the latter, then feeling extremely guilty and trying to make up for it by a subtle smile or skinship each time that fortunately does not go unnoticed by ShinB. 

When ShinB leaves the practice room with Umji, Yuju heaves a sigh of relief. She sees Sowon and Eunha playing around while Yerin is lying on the floor alone in the middle. 

"Unnie, can I ask you something?" Yuju anxiously approaches Yerin with fiddling fingers. 

"Yeah?" Yerin sits up with a wide smile on her face. "What is it? Are you okay?"

Yuju exhales. Is she really gonna do this? 

"What if..." her speech is tapered off, as she wonders how she can actually say it out. Her eyes dart from left to right while Yerin sits before her, patiently waiting for her question. "What if I like ShinB?" she lifts her head up and says the question quickly with as much courage she can gather, the question that has been on her mind for quite a while now and Yuju cannot just do nothing about it. These days, it has been harder to interact with ShinB after that realisation. She hasn't even been able to show a proper smile, especially to ShinB, and she thinks the girl might have backed off and given up interacting with Yuju- it makes her guilty that she could've potentially hurt her feelings. It's been a huge frustration to her, and Yuju just don't know what she should do.

"Ah, it's about time..."

"What?"

"I mean-" Yerin wants to knock herself on the head for speaking her thoughts so absentmindedly, "if you two were to fall in love-" Yerin stops when she sees Yuju's reaction and wonders why she had chosen to say that, "-or have any development, I mean... It should be about time after these years, shouldn't it?"

"Do you think she will like me back?" Yuju nervously questions.

She already does, says a thought at the back of her mind. Yerin tries hard to contain the laughter as excitement is bubbling inside her. "I don't know," she puts on an untelling smile, "You'll have to ask her for that."

Yuju silences herself with a frown.