Chapter 18 Bewitched

Kindred Spirits (COMPLETED/Under Editing)
Please log in to read the full chapter

      I’m holding the books that I borrowed at the library (because of the stupid calligraphy subject that we have) when I heard excited giggles and whispers. I groan. These flirts are talking about what they did on Friday night, As if everyone wants to hear those derogatory and explicit contents of their life. May god! Save their soul from hell fire. I locked my locker and walked aimlessly. I need to return it to the library because approximately thirty minutes from now, we will be leaving Seoul and would ‘go back in time’ as our professor had said using two of his hands’ fingers, emphasizing the thing.

 

 

 

My head is quiet blank nowadays because, me, fainting is frequently happening. And this week, it occurred three times. My grip on my books tightened and I gulp. I can’t…leave just yet.

 

 

 

Days went on and on and me, avoiding Lee Joon Gi went on and on too. Every time he would try to come near me, I would always find excuses; whether small or big excuses…JUST! To avoid him. I really felt guilty upon seeing Haneul cry in front of me. He look so torn and heartbroken when he thought of meddling. He can’t meddle because he is a brother and as well as a friend and he can’t afford another misunderstanding to arise between the two. He doesn’t want to add up to their burden and their unsteady relationship. Me too, I don’t want to meddle because they’ve been through a lot and they fought to be together and now that they’re already engaged and ready to marry each other…

 

 

 

I sigh. I know that I’m doing the right thing, but how come it feels—never mind. I need to concentrate at take notes of this because I will be in serious trouble if I can’t make a report about this! I groan. I can’t graduate if that happens! This is served as a requirement and I needed to do better! And my award~ I need that award! I live for that award~

 

 

 

We passed by “Seodong Park” when I spotted a pond. I stop on my tracks, and let the rest follow our professor who was busy smiling from ear to ear and explain everything with passion, and got lost to the beauty of a pond, not so near and not so far from where I am standing. It has this calming effect and serene beauty and it feels like it is luring me to it. I drowned on it and filled my eyes with every detail of it as I got nearer and nearer. I stopped when I saw a sign and read it.

 

 

 

“Once upon a time during the Baekje era, there was a pond called “Gungnam-ji” also known as “igungteo” meaning “the King’s second residence” because of its location. This site is famous as the origin of the legend of “Seodong”, the childhood nickname of King Mu, the 30th King of Baekje. “In the Sabi era, there was a woman who moved out of the main palace and lived alone near this pond south of the palace. She had relations with the dragon living in the pond and gave birth to a son. (In old Korean stories like these, “having relations with a dragon” indicates his father was a king or a crown prince). The son was named Jang, and later became King Mu. He and his mother were so poor that they lived by selling hemp. That is why he was called “Seodong” (a boy who sells hemp) in his childhood. In spite of this poverty, she raised her son with her whole heart and he grew up to be a good and strong man.

 

 

One day, a royal retainer came to him with a secret order from the king, to sneak into and spy on Seorabeol, the capital of the rival Silla Kingdom. Seodong willingly accepted the task, and disguised himself as a traveling hemp merchant. He slipped into Silla and faithfully spied on the affairs of that nation. But then by chance…” My vision blurred a bit. I shook my head and continued to read “But then—“

 

 

“But then by chance he met Princess Seonhwa, the third daugher of King Jinpyeong, Silla’s 26th king. After that, they met frequently and fell in love with each other. But they were from different social classes and nationalities. So they decided to make a song named “Seodongyo” and spread it among the common people. Seodong gave free hemp to children and taught them a simple song: “Princess Seonhwa got married with Seodong in secret, and is having a love affair with him every night.” The song spread throughout the kingdom and Princess Seonhwa was banished from the palace in disgrace. On her way into exile, she met up with Seodong again. He took her to the Baekje Kingdom and they settled down together” I caught my breath when another voice joined in. I immediately turn around, only to see the person that I have been avoiding for four days. Wearing a casual white t-shirt with a black jeans and black sneakers. His hand was tucked in his pants’ pocket while he walks casually beside me.

 

 

 

He look at me and I just stood frozen on my spot. He look at me for a while before a tiny smirk appeared on his face. He moved closer and I moved back. He look at me closely before looking directly into my eyes and I swear something jump! I freaking swear something jump and I suddenly become nervous as heck and my shoulders, which are lying limp on my sides, just froze and I felt a shudder of familiarity and I don’t understand why is it familiarity when it should be unfamiliar! Oh my god! Maybe this place is enchanted and now we’re bewitched to be the slaves of the fairies! Ani! Ani! Ani! I shook my head.

 

 

 

“Would you mind reading the last sentence?” he said, and like a bewitched person, I obliged.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter