Chapter XXII

A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   

 

[Previously on Chapter 21]

 

“I have a feeling we won’t last long on this job.” Bom uttered as we drag ourselves towards my van.

 

 

We just ended our shift. It’s already past three o’clock in the morning so we only have about 4 or so hours of sleep before our school start.

 

 

“We literally just got out of our first day. We haven’t even seen the worst yet. Do you not like the job?” Chaerin asked, fiddling with her phone.

 

 

“No, it’s not like that. It’s a gut feeling.”

 

 

“What? You’re a psychic now?” I giggled as I fished my keys from my bag.

 

 

Bom exhaled audibly, shaking her head. “Never mind. Let’s just hope my gut feeling is wrong.”

 

 

 

 

[Continue]

She was saying something else but none of it entered my ears ‘cause I was preoccupied on staring my phone.

 

 

It has 35 missed calls and 21 messages.  What the hell?

 

 

 

From: Jiyongie

 

9:05     Omma’s nagging me if you could come this Saturday. Have you already checked your schedule?

 

 

9:37     Dara?

 

 

9:59     Are you busy?

 

 

10:06   Sandara Park

 

 

10:15   YAH!

 

 

10:18   Why aren’t you answering your phone?

 

 

10:20   Are you ignoring me?

 

 

10:27   ANSWER YOUR GODDAMN PHONE DARA!

 

 

11:00   IT. I’m going to your apartment.

 

 

11:37   There’s no one in your apartment. WHY ARE YOU OUT THIS LATE?

 

 

11:41   Are you with Bom? Or Chaerin? Please, tell me you’re with them.

 

 

11:43   FOR SAKES DARA. ANSWER YOUR DAMN PHONE!

 

 

I haven’t even finished reading all his messages when an incoming call popped up on the screen. I came to a screeching halt. Bom and Chaerin, who’s already waiting by the van, looked back at me with arched brows. They must be wondering who would call me this late . . . er, or this early in the morning.

 

 

“It’s Jiyong.” I said, freaking out.

 

 

“Well? Answer it.” Bom urged and dragged me to the van.

 

 

I stared at my phone like it’s a ticking bomb. Should I answer it? He’s definitely mad right now and I don’t think I have energy left to argue with him. But if I don’t answer, I’m sure he’ll go ballistic. Reluctantly, I pressed the answer button before the call ends.

 

 

“H-hello?”

 

 

“Where the hell are you Sandara Park?” He uttered in a grave voice.

 

 

I’m screwed.

 

 

 

 

 

We reached the apartment in record time and found Jiyong leaning against the hood of his car. I can’t see his face because his head was bowed down.  His arms were folded against his chest while his right foot was impatiently tapping the ground.

 

 

“H-Hey. What are you still doing here?” He stopped tapping his foot but he still didn’t look up.

 

 

“Um, well… Ah- we’ll leave you two alone.” Bom said awkwardly. “Dara, we’re going upstairs first. Um, goodnight Jiyong.” He only nodded then Bom gave me a ‘FIGHTING’ sign as she pulled Chaerin to the apartment.

 

 

Something’s off here. I mean, is this normal? Yeah, I got it. He’s angry because I didn’t answer his calls and messages. It wasn’t my intention or anything… I was just busy at work. Okay, let’s say he got worried but was it necessary to go all the way to my apartment at 4 a.m.?

 

 

“You should go home too. It’s—”

 

 

He strode towards me and gripped both of my arms. “Where did you go?” His voice was low and serious. “Why didn’t you answer you damn phone? Do you have any idea how worried I was!?”

 

 

His hold was firm but not hard enough to hurt me.

 

 

“Jiyong, calm down. I’m here… I’m okay. Nothing happened.” He lowered his head, trying to calm his breathing.

 

 

I didn’t know what to do. He didn’t say anything after that but his hold was still on me. I want to tell him the truth but because of that one incident, I know he’ll flip once he learned about this.

 

 

Closing my eyes, I told him, “I was with Bom and Chaerin. You know, girl’s night out.” That was half-truth, half-lie. But still, I felt guilty for not telling him the whole truth.

 

 

He released his hold on me and took a step back. “On a Monday night?”

 

 

“What? Monday is the new Friday.” I avert my eyes and looked anywhere but him.

 

 

I could feel his intense gaze on me but I tried not to give in. There’s no need for him to know that I started working in a club. I know he would make a fuss about it. I just know it.

 

 

After a moment, he his heels and walk back to his car. “Go inside. I’ll see you tomorrow at the café.”

 

 

And just like that, he was gone.

 

 

 

 

 

CHAERIN’S POV

 

 

If you think Mean Girls is so high school, you’re wrong. It does exist even in college. Why? Becuase there are still some people who refuse to grow up. Take for example... Jang Seju. I remember her as one of Jessica’s minions.

 

 

“Lee Chaerin.” She greeted, blocking my way. “I heard you got another A from Prof. Nam.”

 

 

I don’t know why or how she got to know this. We don’t even share a class together and she’s from a different department!

 

 

What baffled me was the fact that I just, literally, came out from Prof. Nam’s class and she already managed to know what the mark on my essay is.

 

 

“It’s none of your business, Seju.” I said and walked pass her. I don’t have time for this kind of conversation.

 

 

“Enjoying the perks of being a professor’s daughter?”

 

 

I came to a halt and snapped my head back at her. “Excuse me?”

 

 

Her back was facing me then she turned around dramatically with an evil smirk plastered on her face.

 

 

“Prof. Nam never gives A’s to his students. Never. So don’t tell me you didn’t use your father’s connection to get those A’s. There’s just no way.”

 

 

I looked at her incredulously and she raised her right brow, taunting me. “Seju. In case you don’t know, there’s this thing called studying. Why don’t you try it sometimes? Instead of accusing me of something I didn’t do.”

 

 

If she’s being a , I can be a too.

 

 

She looked taken aback by my comment but after a moment, she laughed and shook her head. “Do you think I’d buy that? Come on Chaerin. Just admit it that you cheated your way to get into this university.”

 

 

This is unbelievable. I was about to give her a piece of me when Seungri arrived by my side. He’s frowning and looking questioningly at Seju.

 

 

“What’s going on here?”

 

 

Seju looked briefly at Seungri before turning back to me. “Oh, right. You also befriended one of the primary sponsors of the university! You gold digging !”

 

 

“Jung Seju!” He growled.

 

 

“What? I’m just telling the truth! Why are you defending this anyway?”

 

 

“Will you stop it!?”

 

 

I rolled my eyes without them knowing. How come it turned out like this? People are giving us looks and it’s really getting uncomfortable. Before anything gets worse, I walked out of there, ignoring the calls of Seungri.

 

 

“Chaerin!”I ignored him.

 

 

“Hey, wait up!”

 

 

I was almost running, hoping he would eventually give up chasing me. But no. He’s so persistent.

 

 

“I said, wait up.” He grabbed my arm, turning me to him.

 

 

“What’s your problem!?” I snapped. “Will you stop popping out of nowhere whenever you like? I could have handled it myself. You just made things worse!”

 

 

“What? I was just trying to help.” His tone matching mine.

 

 

“Well, I don’t need your help, Seungri. So can you back off?”

 

 

He didn’t say anything after that. He only looked at me, really looked at me. But then he turned to his right, slightly shaking his head. “Yeah. Whatever.”

 

 

With that, he walked away.

 

 

Ugh! I’m such a jerk. I didn’t mean to lash out on him but my stress and frustration level was already on its highest peak and I just . . . exploded.

 

 

The look on his face before he walked away from me will surely hunt me for days. I’ve never seen that look on Seungri before. He looked so sad, angry, and at the same time, hurt.

 

 

I was ready to chase him to apologize for blowing him off but I was stopped by the ringing of my phone.

 

 

It was Matt.

 

 

I looked back at Seungri’s direction again but he’s no longer there. With a sigh, I tapped my phone and answered Matt’s call.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

“Hello darlin’. I’m sorry this is so sudden but I really need a huge favor~”

 

 

“Oh, what is it?”

 

 

“You see, there’s this rich guy who suddenly booked the entire club for his birthday bash. I usually don’t accept last-minute bookings but girl, this one’s stinking rich! The amount he offered was really hard to refuse. So...”

 

 

“So... Now, you’re short of people and you want my help?”

 

 

“That’s right.” He sighed. “Of course, only if that’s okay with you.”

 

 

“I’ll do it. I’m free tonight, anyway. Do you want me to call Dara and Bom?”

 

 

“Oh~That would be perfect honey. Thank you sooooo much! I promise to pay you girls double for the night~”

 

 

“Okay, I’ll call you back later.”

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter