Chapter XVI

A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

BOM’S POV

 

 

After taking a nice, long shower I spent the next two hours on choosing what to wear, putting on my makeup, checking myself in the mirror, doing my hair, checking myself in the mirror, and checking myself in the mirror.

 

 

Various thoughts are rolling around inside my head, and my nerves are raging and pulsating through my body just like they were on my very first day of school.

 

 

Heck, it’s not even a date! But why am I feeling like this?

 

 

“Chill out Bom.” I take in a deep breath, talking to myself in the mirror. “It’s just a friendly date… a friendly date.” I smiled in satisfaction as I stared my reflection in the mirror. I’m pretty proud of myself on doing a great job on my overall look, wearing a simple yet stylish black dress that falls inches above my knees, and black pumps to go with it. I didn’t apply too much makeup as I want to go with a natural look.   

 

 

As I look up at the wall clock, it reads 9:47am… Seunghyun will be here any minute now so I decided to wait for him in our cozy living room. Fishing out my phone inside my purse, I sent a message to Dara. I still don’t know where that girl went. All I could remember of what she said is that she’s going out.

 

 

That’s all.

 

 

While waiting for Dara’s reply, I heard a honk coming out from someone’s car. That would be Seunghyun.

 

 

Wow, he sure is on time.

 

 

 I jump off the couch and grab my purse as I head out of our apartment.

 

 

There stood Choi Seunghyun, already waiting for me downstairs. He’s wearing a teal button down shirt and black jeans. He was leaning against the hood of his car, engrossed in his phone. Sensing my presence, he turned his head towards my direction and then paused, staring at me.

 

 

“Hi.” I greeted. I raised my eyebrows as he continued to stare at me, his jaw falling slack.

 

 

“Do I have something on me?” I asked, my eyes sweeping down my outfit.

 

 

“You look beautiful.” He said and smiled at me.

 

 

I couldn’t help but blush as butterflies begun to swarm inside my stomach. “T-thank you. You look pretty god yourself.” I managed to reply and he just chuckled.

 

 

“Ready to go?” He asked, already opening the car door for me. I excitedly nod. The smile never left his face as he gently shut the door close and get himself inside as well.

 

 

 

 

During the drive, he was strangely quiet. This doesn’t make any sense! Seunghyun is a 20 year old man with a mental age of 5 so it’s so unusual of him to be this silent. Where’s the alien who dare to accuse me of being chubby?!

 

 

“Seunghyun, where are we going?” I asked, trying to engage him in a conversation.

 

 

He gave me a quick glance and faintly smiles. “You’ll know when we get there.”

 

 

I only nod at him and notice that he seems a bit… uneasy. Or was it only my imagination?

 

 

“What?” Seunghyun asked as he caught me staring at him, a mischievous smile plastered on his face.

 

 

“Uh- nothing.” I looked away, embarrassed that he just caught me staring. I heard him chuckle, clearly amused by my flustered state.

 

 

Yeah, maybe it’s really just my imagination.

 

 

After a couple of more minutes, we finally arrived at Kukje Gallery. I totally didn’t expect that we’re going in an art museum. I hope I dress right.

 

 

I climbed out of the car and the first thing that caught my attention was a woman figure at the top of the building.

 

 

“Walking Woman on the Roof.” Seunghyun was already beside me, also looking up at the figure. “That’s what it’s called.” He said, now looking at me.

 

 

“I really hope you don’t hate art.” He said rubbing the back of his neck.

 

 

Is this why he looks so nervous earlier? Oh Choi Seunghyun… How can you be this adorable?

 

 

“I may know nothing about art but I definitely don’t hate them.”  I gave him a reassuring smile, relief spreading on his handsome face.

 

 

 

 

We had a little argument on buying tickets since I wanted to pay for my share but Seunghyun insisted that he will pay for us both. I wasn’t planning on giving up until he suggested on buying the whole damn gallery so that we can’t argue anymore about it. Aisht.

 

 

He placed his hand on the small of my back, guiding me through the art museum, until we reached an exhibition hall labelled A Snowflake.

 

 

“This is a group show of young contemporary Korean artist organized by a guest curator.” Seunghyun begins to explain to me.

 

 

I never imagined Seunghyun as an art admirer.

 

 

“Each of the artists participating in A Snowflake interprets the visible world in a different way.” He continued as we continue to along the hall.

 

 

“Okay.” I replied, having no idea what he just said.

 

 

We walk through the exhibit, Seunghyun examining each painting on the wall while I scanned them.

 

 

“The curatorial framework explores ‘how young contemporary artists see the world in 2017’, capturing their views on ‘what shape it is in.” He explained to me as we travelled through the exhibit together.

 

 

“Each of the artists questions how art can capture and communicate the fleeting images the ‘see’ using art as a kind of aesthetic proof to frame contemporary life.”

 

 

How did he know all that? I really don’t understand art.

 

 

 

“So… what did you think?” He asked, once we finished and sit on one of the benches inside. 

 

 

“I don’t know.” I said, shrugging my shoulders. “I think they’re beautiful, though.”

 

 

He nods in agreement, his eyes piercing into mine. “I’m surrounded by art, but you Park Bom, is the most beautiful of them all.”

 

 

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

 

“So… are we going to visit your mother now? Is she in your house?” I asked as I stuff 3 fries in my mouth all at once.

 

 

He was silent for a moment, his eyes focused on the road, before saying, “No, she’s in the hospital.”

 

 

I went quiet after that as words suddenly left me. I look down and stare at my lap, not really knowing how to react. I didn’t dare to ask him why because I don’t want him to think that I’m being privy or anything.

 

 

Much to my surprise, he begins to explain about his mother’s condition so I turn my head to him. “She has cancer. She got admitted last week for her chemotherapy. The doctors said— YAH! Why are you sulking like that?”

 

 

“Huh?” I didn’t realize that he is already looking at me.

 

 

“Don’t pout like that, it makes you uglier.” I would’ve have smack him in the head by now if we’re in a different situation but I know that he’s only trying to lift the mood, and I’m thankful to him for that.

 

 

“The doctors said that she has no more than half year to live but a year has already passed since she was diagnose.” He continued. “So as what Appa has said, she’s still kicking .” He remarked, making me laugh.

 

 

I haven’t even formally met Jiyong’s mother but I already know that she’s an amazing woman. She’s been battling with cancer for a year now and the fact that she lives a longer than what the doctors has placed upon her only proves how strong she is.

 

 

“Anyways, go on… eat your lunch before your stomach growls again.”

 

 

“Shut up.” I hissed, trying to hold my smile but failed miserably.

 

 

I was expecting his signature smirk but instead he smiled, a genuine one and I think I just died. As he’s driving, he immediately turns his head back on the road and I thank the heavens for that. I don’t need him to witness as I transform into a huge red tomato.

 

 

Distracting myself from Jiyong, I entirely devoted my attention to my burger and fries. It didn’t take me long to devour the entire burger meal.

 

 

“Aah.” I heard Jiyong said. I look up to him and his mouth is wide open.

 

 

“What are you doing?

 

 

“Feed me.” He said… order rather.

 

 

I scoff in disbelief. “You have hands. Do it yourself.”

 

 

“Oh right! Ok, hold the steering wheel for me so I could it.” He blankly stared at me. “Do you want to get us into an accident?!”

 

 

“Then use your one hand!”

 

 

“I’m right handed Dara. Do you expect that my left hand to properly hold the steering wheel?” He argues back.

 

 

I let out an exasperated sigh. “You don’t run out of excuses, do you?”Jiyong smirks, knowing that he wins.

 

 

This man is impossible!

 

 

I grumpily picked out two fries and bitterly offer it to his mouth. He immediately takes it and smiled in triumph. “Hmmm… yum.”

 

 

“I want the burger too.” He asked, after I put another couple of fries into his mouth. I rolled my eyes on him but still grab his burger and unwrap it. I held it close to his mouth and he takes a big bite, causing some ketchup to smudge on the side of his mouth. I instinctively pick out a tissue in the plastic bag and casually wipe the ketchup that was on the side of his lips.

 

 

“You’re so inconvenient.” I muttered still wiping the side of his mouth, making sure that no ketchup is left there.

 

 

He chuckled. “I should be offended by that but I’ll let it pass… for now.” Jiyong smirks, winking at me and I try my best to not roll my eyes on him… again.

 

 

I continue to feed him his burger and fries, never forgetting to offer him a drink one in a while. “Ok, here’s the last one.” I said, holding out the last two fries in my hand. He took it and I was to withdraw my hands when he suddenly… it?!

 

 

I watched him in horror as he every corner of my thumb and forefinger… as in literally it. As much as I wanted to pull out my hand, I stay rooted on my spot, too dumbfounded to do anything.

 

 

Heat started to crawl up from my neck to my face. I’m sure I’m red as a chilli pepper now.

 

 

“Y-Yah! What the do you think you’re doing?!”

 

 

“ you fingers clean.” He coolly answered, as if what he’s doing is the mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter