Chapter XXI

A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

 

I’ve always hated Monday mornings. But I think I hated it today the best. Why? Because this particular Monday morning means four things.

Another week of classes.

Hopefully, first week at the new part-time job.

Another week at the coffee shop. Which means—

Another week of Jiyong.

 

 

It’s his second and final week of working at the coffee shop but that doesn’t mean I’m already safe from his bullying and torturous teasing. Lately, I noticed I’ve been having mini heart attacks whenever I’m with him. His mere presence led me to thoughts I refused to acknowledge. And it took a lot of physical and emotional strength to shut them off from my brain.

 

 

I think Kwon Jiyong is bad for my health. Very bad.

 

 

I could endure it until the end but Bom’s seven haunting words echoed in my mind.

 

 

“Jiyong’s in charge of Dara Duty last night.” She said, minutes after I woke up with the worstest (if that’s even a word) hangover ever. Apparently, Chaerin put him in charge that night.

 

 

That bit of information was enough . . . I can’t face Jiyong. I’m too embarrassed to face him and I’m pretty sure I will never hear the end of it.

 

 

It’s not like I remember everything from Friday night’s event. No, I really don’t. But I know I tend to get— wild and do or say embarrassing things when I’m drunk. I’ve always taught wild was an overstatement but that’s according to Bom and Chaerin so I don’t have a say on that.

 

 

“Dara, you’re ready? We’re gonna be late!” Bom called from the living room.

 

 

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath then released it slowly. As I opened my eyes, I dragged myself outside my room and then we’re gone to fetch Chaerin.

 

 

“Sooooo . . . You and Jiyong, huh?” Chaerin blurted out of nowhere I nearly run a red light. I slammed my foot on the brakes causing the three of us to jerk forward.

 

 

“Oh for the love of God! Chaerin, please don’t ever do that again.”

 

 

“What did I do?” She feigned innocence.

 

 

“But seriously, he’s totally into you Dara.” Bom joined in.

 

 

I looked at them incredulously and they shot it back with an expectant look. I faced the front, ignoring them, when the lights turned green and we set off.

 

 

Still feeling their eyes on me, I sighed, “What are you two talking about?”

 

 

“Jiyong! He’s like, ‘Hey Dara, I love you so much I’m gonna write a song for you.’”

 

 

“No, Bom. I’m sure he doesn’t see me that way.”

 

 

“He is!” Chaerin exclaimed from behind me. “If only you could have seen how he took care of you last Friday. He freaking babysat you that night, unnie!”

 

 

I groaned at her choice of word. “It’s not like that. He’s just a friend taking care of a . . . a friend. I don’t see him that way. HE doesn’t see me that way.” I repeated but this time, it sounded more like I’m convincing myself rather the two of them.

 

 

They must have noticed the changed in my tone as they suddenly gone quiet. Bom was the first one to speak. “Dara, don’t tell me you’re still hung up on that? It’s been two years and—”

 

 

“Please, don’t.” My voice sounded sharp. “I can’t do this right now. I can’t.” I said, not looking either the two of them.

 

 

I saw Bom nodded at the corner of my eyes. She slumped back in her seat, defeated. I shifted my gaze at the rear-view mirror and noticed that Chaerin’s giving my back a worried look. I felt a twinge of guilt for shutting them off like that.

 

 

“Sorry.” I whispered, as I pulled into an empty parking space of the university.

 

 

“You have nothing to apologize for. We understand.” Bom told me, gently squeezing my arm. I turned to Chaerin and gave me the same reassuring smile.

 

 

With that, we got off from the van and marched towards the campus.

 

 

 

 

I went straight ahead to the coffee shop after my classes. Customers, mostly girls actually, were swarming all over the shop. It’s not a new sight for us employees anymore but in a week, everything will be back to normal. And one thing is for sure, I’m not going to miss it.

 

 

When I entered the break room, Jiyong was already there. Clad in his uniform and ready to take his shift. His gaze shifted to mine and I mentally started the countdown of my doom.

 

 

5…4…3…2…1

 

 

I received nothing. Not even a single comment.

 

 

I repeated my countdown. Maybe my timing is off. Let’s start with three.

 

 

3…2…1

 

 

His lips parted and I braced myself for the upcoming humiliation.

 

 

“Are you just gonna stand there gawking or you’re going to help me work out there?”

 

 

I shook my head and fixed my gaze on the floor. “I . . . I—uh. I’m sorry. I’m going to change first.” What the heck am I apologizing for?

 

 

I went to the restroom to change into my uniform and when I’m done, Jiyong was still in the break room. Is he waiting for me? No way. . .

 

 

He’s sitting in a single chair, his eyes watching my every movement. This made me self-conscious and tried to avert my gaze from his. Why is he looking at me like that? What is he thinking?  God! I swear his stare could melt an iceberg.

 

 

I shoved my things in the locker and as I swivelled, I found his gaze still on me. God! I nearly drop my heart on the floor. He looked at me like, he want to say something but he didn’t. Rubbing my hand on my apron, I cleared my throat hoping to ease the tension in the air. Or am I the only one feeling it?

 

 

He got up from the chair and nonchalantly said, “Let’s go.”

 

 

Okay . . . This is definitely weird.

 

 

 

 

Our manager assigned me in the cashier but when things got out of hand, courtesy of Jiyong, he took over and told me to help serving the customers. I mentally groaned and prepared myself for war.

 

 

Serving customers with their coffees and cakes is not a difficult task. It is the customers who are difficult. Not all of them but most of them are.

 

 

Some customers don’t even hide the scowls and displeased expression on their faces when I got to serve them instead of Jiyong. Oh! Don’t forget the customers who always bombard me with questions about Jiyong, like . . . What’s his favourite food? Favourite color? What’s his biggest fear? Does he have any pets? Is he allergic to peanuts? Why is his hair orange? Blah blah blah blah . . .

 

 

Imagine how shocked I am when someone actually asked me about the color of his brief! Like, seriously?  Do I look like someone who snoops around his underwear? Heck, some of them even tried to bribe me in exchange for his number!

 

 

At least they’re tolerable though. I thought I’m getting the hang of it but then I came across with, well . . . her.

 

 

“I won’t accept that coffee unless it’s Jiyong. I came here for him, not you.” The woman said after I placed a cup of coffee on her table. She crossed her legs and leaned back in her chair as she flipped the pages of the fashion magazine she’s reading. She did not even lift her eyes to me, like I’m not worthy enough to look at.

 

 

“I’m sorry mam but Jiyong is currently—”

 

 

“Did you not hear me? I said I don’t want you here” She cut me off. It took a lot of physical strength not to roll my eyes on her and it took me a lot more to form a fake smile in front of her.

 

 

“Okay, then please enjoy your coffee. If you want anything—” She cut me off again and it’s starting to piss me off. This time though, she finally looked at me . . . The kind of look that will shoot laser beams, I tell you.

 

 

“Are you stupid or what? I said I won’t accept that coffee unless it’s Jiyong. Do you know how precious my time is? ”

 

 

I held the tray to my chest and gripped it tightly while I listen to her. Her voice was getting higher that it’s already inevitable to grab the attention of the other customers. Collective murmurs filled the shop as she continued to throw insults at me.

 

 

“I can’t believe a mere peasant like you is wasting my time. What? Are you going to stupidly stand there or I’m going to call your manager?”

 

 

I opened my mouth to speak but Jiyong suddenly materialize beside me, lightly squeezing my shoulder. I breathe a sigh of relief when he slightly nodded, telling me he got it. Thank heavens. I nearly clawed out her face there. But I can’t risk losing my job so I stop myself from blowing up her skull.

 

 

“Oh, there you are Jiyong. Can you believe they made me wait in line for almost 2 hours? God! I’m so gonna tell my father about this.” The girl whined to Jiyong, not forgetting to throw me a menacing glare. She sounded like she knows Jiyong personally.

 

 

I glanced at Jiyong and he’s looking at the girl with a blank face. When she’s done complaining, Jiyong drop his hands on the table and leaned in closer to level their eyes.

 

 

“Jooyeon.” His voice was low but the warning was there. I could see that Jooyeon was now frozen in her spot. Hmph! Serves her right!

 

 

“If your time is so precious, why don’t you go home and finish your homework instead? Hm? I won’t let you speak to Dara like that again, you understand? Now, stand up from your seat and get out of here.” He’s whispering but it’s loud enough for me to hear.

 

 

Jiyong’s words sounded harsh but my heart is melting. He stood up for me. He always does, even though he’s a jerk most of the time. It is why Jiyong’s so confusing. Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter