Chapter XV

A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

AUTHOR’S POV

 

 

“Pick me, pick me, pick me up, pick me, pick me, pick me up”

 

 

Dara cursed under her breath, mindlessly reaching her hand out to the counter beside her bed for her cellphone. Who on earth, in their right mind, would be calling her this early in the morning? She’s not a big fan of mornings and now she’s pissed to whoever is calling her right now.

 

 

“Pick me, pick me, pic – "

 

 

Not even caring to look at the caller id, she put her phone against her ear and answers the call. “WHAT THE FU—” Dara yelled groggily but was cut off when she heard the voice from the other side of the call.

 

 

“Get ready in 30 minutes. I’ll pick you up.” She doesn’t need to check the caller id anymore since she instantly recognizes the owner of the voice. Kwon Jiyong.

 

 

“What the hell?” Dara held out her phone to check the time and groaned as she places it back against her hear. “Jiyong, it’s ing 7AM for God’s sake! Do you know what that means?”

 

 

“Yeah. It means that I need to get my off to work and I need my assistant!” Jiyong retorted but then paused, taking note of the tone she just used to him. “Are you actually cussing at me Sandara Park?”

 

 

Dara went silent. She too was shock at herself for talking and cussing at Jiyong like that. Big part was because she’s utterly pissed that he ruined her once peaceful sleep. But she can’t help but to wonder when did they become close that she could already cuss at him casually? Yes, they’re already friends but they are not close enough to bicker with each other like what they are doing right now.

 

 

“Maybe.” She answered sheepishly.

 

 

“Whatever.” He replied, clearly annoyed. Dara bit back her giggle as she can imagine him rolling his eyes as he says this. “Oh right, make that 20. I’m on my way.”

 

 

Dara gasped, hearing the seriousness in his voice. “Wait, what?! Jiyong I–” He hangs up before she could even protest. “What an .”

 

 

She groans frustratingly as she lazily pulls herself up in a sitting position. She rubs her sleepy eyes while she tries to ponder any possible reasons on what Jiyong want from her, especially on a Saturday morning.  She then recalls their conversation, remembering him talking about something like work and assistant.

 

 

Dara already has an idea on what is it that he wants and she’s certain that this day would be one of a hell long day for her.

 

 

Another thought comes to Dara making her frown in the process. “Wait a minute. Why am I still his assistant?” She murmured to herself. Her eyes then landed to her digital clock at the counter beside her bed. Her eyes widen when she realize that she only have 10 minutes to get ready before Jiyong arrives.

 

 

Dara scampered out of her bedroom, not forgetting to make a mental note to ask Jiyong later about this matter. She runs towards the bathroom like her was on fire and that’s when she made her fastest time to take a shower.

 

 

Dara was frantically slipping on her black jeans when she heard a loud honk coming from outside of their apartment. She muttered incoherent curses knowing that it was definitely Jiyong. She grabs her most decent white blouse and put it on. She was about to close her closet and ready to leave when she caught sight of her one and only formal black blazer, hanging at the far end corner. She takes it and wears it over her white blouse, slamming her closet after.

 

 

She heard another impatient honk. “.” Dara runs out of her bedroom, going to Bom’s room. “Bom! I’m going out. Good luck on your date. Love you!” She yelled, but not so loud since her best friend is still in slumber. Dara needs to at least say her goodbye to Bom so she wouldn’t look for her once she wake up.

 

 

She found Jiyong leaning against a sleek black sedan and MY OH MY, her world have gone to slow motion as she fully absorbs Jiyong’s presence. He’s sporting a navy blue pants partnered with the same navy blue suit jacket. Underneath his jacket was a plain dress shirt with a thin black tie. Dara frequently sees Jiyong in business attire but damn, she can’t seem to get used to it.

 

 

Kwon Jiyong is scorching hot! “You y bastard. Being that gorgeous should be illegal, it’s not fair!” Dara screams in her thoughts.

 

 

“Are you done ogling?” Jiyong voiced out, pulling Dara out of her stupor. She looks up to Jiyong, who’s smirking at the fact that she’s blatantly gawking at him.

 

 

“Excuse you? I was checking you— I mean . . . your car.  How many cars do you have anyways?” She asked innocently, pulling her eyes off of Jiyong. She prayed that her acting works but this is Kwon Jiyong we’re talking about. Teasing Dara is a form of entertainment to him.

 

 

He chuckled at her miserable attempt to change the subject. “Believe whatever you want to believe, babe.” Jiyong then eyes Dara from her head to toe suddenly making her conscious.

 

 

“W-what are you doing?” She asked with confusion, feeling her cheeks heat up for calling her babe.

 

 

“Not bad. That’ll do.” Jiyong said, not answering her question. Dara knitted her brows, not understanding what he was talking about. She was about to ask him again but Jiyong was already opening the car door for her. “Let’s go. We’ll be late.”

 

 

Dara throw herself in and watch Jiyong as he move in to his car as well. Jiyong put his sedan into life and sped through the streets that lead to his office, which Dara still oblivious that they were.

 

 

Dara is quietly staring out of the window, watching the busy streets of Seoul passed by her. He had already informed her that they will be going to his office and that she will be his PA today. The past week was a bit rough for her and all she wants to do on a Saturday is to sleep and lie on her bed the whole day. So to sum it up, she’s still bitter that Jiyong took her precious time of sleep and pretty much for stealing her free day.

 

 

“Can I ask something?”

 

 

“You’re already asking.” Jiyong smirks, giving a quick glance to Dara who just rolled her eyes on him. “Okay, what is it?”

 

 

“Why am I still your assistant?” Dara asks softly but not hiding the bitterness in her tone. “As I remember, your foot in now well. I don’t get it why I am still here with you.” Dara mentally slaps herself for sounding like a at her last statement. She didn’t mean to sound like that.

 

 

Jiyong frowns at her last sentence and narrows his eyes on her. He didn’t quite like the sound of it but he quickly shoves the thought and replaces it with a smirk instead. “Oh remind me. Did we agree that once my foot has healed, you’ll stop being my assistant?”

 

 

Dara bit her lips as she tried to recall their very first conversion about her being his assistant, hoping that they did agree on something. Unfortunately, despite how good she believes her memory is, Jiyong is right. They definitely don’t have such agreement.

 

 

“No… But— But Jiyong! That’s unfair. How long has it been since I became you assistant… a month? Ji, your foot is fully recovered so you won’t need my assistance anymore.” She reasoned all at once.

 

 

Jiyong’s eyes remain focus on the road as he listens to Dara. “Well apparently, my PA recently resigned and I couldn’t find a replacement for her in time so… here you are.” He simply said, preserving his playful smirk.

 

 

Dara scoffs. “You’re Kwon Jiyong. Many people would kill to be your personal assistant and you’re telling me you can’t find one?”

 

 

“That’s the thing Dara. Everyone’s dream is to be my secretary or to land any position in our company but I don’t know why you’re complaining like this right now.”

 

 

“Psh. Did you ever notice the death glares I received from your fangirls whenever I’m with you? God, I don’t how I did manage to stay breathing until now. And FYI, I am not like the others. Being your assistant was never been my dream.”

 

 

Jiyong took the red light as the chance to look at her. His expression was mix with disbelief and amusement. He wasn’t sure if he will get offended to the fact that she never wanted to be his assistant or get amuse that she isn’t like the other girls he have met. The sole fact the she doesn’t have the interest to be his assistant makes her different from the other girls around him.

 

 

He opens his mouth to say something but interrupted by the sudden ringing of Dara’s phone. Jiyong notes her cheery smile as soon as she looks at her phone and immediately answers it. He suddenly got curious on who’s calling her that made her beam like that.

 

 

“Mino-ah!” She greeted chirpily, answering Jiyong curiosity. He mentally scoffs at himself… Of course—of course it is a guy. As much as he doesn’t want to, he can’t help it but to perk up his ears and eavesdrop with their conversation.

 

 

“You’re in Seoul!? Why didn’t you tell me about it?” Dara pouts. “Err, today? I can’t I’m at… work.” She glances over Jiyong as she said this.

 

 

“Wait, I’ll ask my boss.” Dara covers the mic of her phone and turn to Jiyong. “Ji, I—um… can I leave early today? I promise—”

 

 

“I can’t afford to not have a PA today so… no. If I finished my work early, which I doubt, then you’re lucky.” Jiyong cut her off as if already anticipating her to ask that question.

 

 

Dara frown at his sudden change of mood but she nods nonetheless. “I’m sorry Mino, I really can’t today.” She said solemnly.

 

 

“Oh so you’re staying here in Seoul until tomorrow?” Dara’s face light up. “Okay, then I’ll see you tomorrow. Yeah, I miss you too punk.” She said as she finally ended the call. Something sparks at Jiyong when he heard her last statement. He didn’t understand what it is. Is it annoyance or just plain irritation? He wasn’t sure.

 

 

“Is this why you’re so eager to get rid of me?” Jiyong snapped as soon as Dara ended the call, glaring at her briefly before looking back at the road.

 

 

Dara gave her an ‘are you ing high on something’ look, too dumbfounded at his sudden outburst. “Jiyong, what the hell are you talking about?” She started calmly. “Get rid of you?”

 

 

“So this is why you’re so adamant to quit for being my assistant.” He scoffs. “Why would you still be here when you could be with someone else? Am I right, Dara.” Jiyong said with cold eyes, reminding her of what she had said earlier.

 

 

Dara deepen her frown at Jiyong. She doesn’t know why he’s acting like this and she definitely doesn’t understand what he is talking about. That alone was what made her pissed off more. “You’re talking nonsense, Jiyong. What are you getting at?”

 

 

“I don’t apologize to people Dara and I would never say sorry for ruining your precious little date.” He interjected, ignoring Dara’s question. That’s when Dara lost it.

 

 

“You know what? I didn’t get any you’re talking about.” Jiyong glared at her and ready to bite back but Dara gave him the ‘shut up and listen to me first’ look.

 

 

“First of all, get rid of you? Why would I get rid of you? You’re my friend!” She noticed his features soft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter