Chapter XVIII

A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

 

“Don’t forget your essays. It’s due on Friday.” I groaned, together with some of my classmates. “Class dismissed.” I picked up my books and shoved them mindlessly into my bag as soon as Prof. Han walked out of the room.

 

 

I hurried to my locker to drop my things and grabbed my uniform. My part-time job uniform.

Yes.

Two weeks ago, I land a job in a coffee shop just outside the university’s premises. It’s walking distance so I don’t have to worry about getting late. But that’s what I’m doing right now.

 

 

I’m running late.

 

 

Running through the hallways, two very familiar figures are walking straight to me. Dammit! What are they doing in this building? The Business Ad. Building is on the other side!

 

 

I attempted to U-turn and escaped from the line of their sight. Too bad, I have been spotted as the baby panda was already waving his hands at me shouting my name for the world to know.

 

 

“DARA NOONA! DARA NOONA!”

 

 

Oh great. Of all the people I could possibly run into, why it has to be Seungri? And most definitely, why Jiyong?!

 

 

I forced a smile and waved back. I tried not to look at Jiyong but his gaze was so intense. It felt like there’s a magnetic force around them that pulls my eyes to him.

 

 

Our eyes locked for a good ten seconds and I immediately regretted that I even dare to look.

 

 

His stares was penetrating through my soul and I don’t like it. I don’t like the way it causes me not to tear my eyes off him. It makes me want to look at him more.

 

 

The way he’s looking at me is like he’s daring me to do what I’m doing a lot this past two weeks.

 

 

Avoiding him.

 

 

But I’m not really avoiding him.

It’s just that…. I’m—

Okay, I’m avoiding him

 

 

I’m avoiding him because I don’t like the way he’s making me feel.

 

 

We never have a proper conversation since that day. He never called nor texted me like he always do when he needs something. I know he’s giving me a break after what happened and I really do appreciate it.

 

 

Everytime he catches me with our friends, I always make an excuse to leave but sometimes I just really need to be excuse because of my part-time job.

 

 

That’s the thing. He doesn’t know I got a job.

 

 

I informed Bom and Chaerin about it but I told them not to tell to the boys. I just… don’t want to tell them. Well, mostly because of Jiyong.

 

 

“Noona!” Seungri greeted, making me avert my eyes from Jiyong’s and focus on Seungri instead.

 

 

“Oh Seungri, what are you doing here?” I tried to smile, ignoring the fact that I could practically feel Jiyong’s eyes on me. I could see in my peripheral vision that he’s still looking at me intently.

 

 

Thump, thump, thump.

 

 

Not good. What’s wrong with you, heart? You’re beating way too loud again. We already talked about this. You were beating so fast and and loud that day because I was emotionally vulnerable. You were vulnerable. It’s just so happen that Jiyong’s shoulder was there to cry on and he was there to listen while you pour all your contents out. That’s it.

 

 

I was trying to talk to my heart to calm the hell down but it’s not listening at all! I need to get away from him.

 

 

“I’m looking for you actually but I don’t know why Jiyong hyung—”

 

 

“!” I cut him off and looked at my wristwatch. “Seungri, can we talk next time? I’m running late to my… class.” I lied.

 

 

“Oh. . .Okay.” He sounds confused but smiles nonetheless. “Call me after your classes then.”

 

 

My eyes landed on Jiyong and he’s still looking at me, his face still void of any emotions.

 

 

Just great. Way to go Dara! Make it more so obvious.

 

 

“O-okay. Bye!” I waved at them one last time before turning around and run away from their sight.

 

 

 

 

A pair of amused eyes watched me as I held my knees trying to catch my breath. I think my lungs were already giving up on me for all the running I just did. I need air.

 

 

“Am I… huff, late? Huff, huff…”

 

 

“In a matter of two minutes, yes. You’re going to be late in two minutes so better clock in noona.” I peered at him and he’s smiling at me amusedly.

 

 

“Yeah, that’s a good idea. Thank you Jihoon-ah.” I straighten up and pat his head. A tinge of pink spreads across his cheeks making me silently laugh. I find it cute whenever he’s blushing.

 

 

Jihoon is also a part-timer in this coffee shop. He’s already working here before me so he’s the one who showed me around and guided me about my job. He is still in high school and the same age as Mino. Sometimes, I see my brother in him so I feel at ease with him.

 

 

Speaking of Mino, Meeting with him leads me to find a job. Leads me the need to have a job.

 

 

Apparently, he’s been waiting for me in our apartment after I walked out on that coffee shop. I was mad at him but seeing his relief when he saw me walking into the apartment in one piece washed all my anger away. I felt sorry for making him worry like that.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

 

“Noona, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.” He’s not looking at me. I sighed and joined him in the couch.

 

 

“Just don’t pull another act like that, hm?”

 

 

He looked at me and smiled when he sees me smiling. He knew that I’m not mad anymore but I won’t let this go without any explanation on why would he meet him.

 

 

“I’m not mad anymore but care to explain why would you travel for four hours just to meet him?” The smile on his face immidiately faded at the mention of this. I narrowed my eyes on him and he turned his face away. “Mino, what is it?” I warned.

 

 

He chewed on his bottom lip and still refused to look at me. “Tell me, what is it?” I said it with more authority.

 

 

I could see that he’s contemplating whether to tell me or not but I also refused to accept silence as an answer. I wouldn’t let him leave this apartment without explaining himself.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter