Chapter XIX

A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

 

My hands will surely get blisters if I wouldn’t lose my grip on the poor mop. I am mopping the entire coffee shop for the third time now . . . freaking third time. 

 

 

Its five minutes past eleven, way past our closing time, so most of the employees have gone home. Our manager, Jihoon, Jiyong and me are the only ones left. Oh! I forgot to mention the very reason why we’re still here and I curse them for not taking the hint that the coffee shop is very much closed already.

 

 

The door sign was turned to ‘we’re closed’ ages ago but these three girls stubbornly stick their butts on the chair and refuse to leave. The reason why? Kwon Jiyong.

 

 

They’re watching him amusedly, like he’s doing some kind of masterpiece. He’s only wiping tables and windows, for Pete’s sake! What’s so amusing about that?

 

 

I’m the one who insist him to do that chore, actually. It’s the only thing he could do without doing further damage to the coffee shop. I think three cups, two mugs, and three dessert plates are enough loss for today.

 

 

When he’s done, he turned to me and smirked smugly. The girls didn’t miss this sight and squealed like dying pigs. Okay, that’s it! I walked towards him and whispers, “You’re done. Go to the break room, change, and please go home already.”

 

 

He raised his right eyebrow and I rolled my eyes. I eyed the girls behind him and subtly pointed them with my lips. He turned his head to look. When he faced me again, the annoying smirk was back in his face again. “You’re jealous.” It’s not even a question but a statement.

 

 

“Please. Why would I be?”

 

 

He shrugged. “Keep lying to yourself.”

 

 

I took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled through my mouth, trying to calm myself. “First of all, I’m not jealous. I’m freaking exhausted. We’re way past our closing time, Jiyong.” I told him. The last sentence came out almost in a whisper. I didn’t realize tiredness until now.

 

 

He only looked at me blankly and turned his back to me. I watched him as he struts towards our last remaining customers and joined them on the table. I was left speechless that I could only stare at him.

 

 

Did he not understand what I have been saying? God! This guy, really!

 

 

Everyone’s tired. I am dead tired. But he’s making this more difficult! I was so ready to drag there asses out if not only for my manager, who’s calling me in his office. I glared at them for one last time and I’m out.

 

 

“Dara, Jihoon said you wanted to talk to me about something? What is it?”

 

 

“Um . . .  it’s about Jiyong, sir.”

 

 

“Oh? What about him?”

 

 

I closed my eyes and said, “Sir, you can’t hire Jiyong.”

 

 

My manager raised his brow and slouched his back on his seat. “I’m sorry?”

 

 

“He didn’t come here for work. He came here to . . .” I paused, trying to think the word he said to me last night. Ah! Yes— “punish me. To bully me! Sir, you’re fully aware that he’s a Kwon right? He’s a chaebol . . . a chaebol, sir!”

 

 

He stared at me with unblinking eyes, mouth slightly agape. When he’s done absorbing my sudden outburst, he shook his head and chortled to himself.

 

 

“Dara, I’m sorry but you’re not making any sense. Punish you? Bully? What are you talking about?”

 

 

I opened my mouth to answer but he speaks again. “I’m fully aware with the fact that he’s a Kwon. Is it wrong for someone like him to work in a small coffee shop? Besides, he has good intentions coming here. He said he wanted to work his way up from the bottom. He thought this will be a good training for him. So, who am I to deny a passionate and determined man like him?” He said admiringly.

 

 

I can only looked at him in disbelief. I mean, seriously? I can’t believe he fell for that. He’s the Vice President for Christ’s sake! And at such young age!

 

 

“Listen—”

 

 

“Dara, he’ll only work for two weeks. Besides, don’t you think it’s a good thing that he’s working with us? He’s popular so naturally, he’ll attract more customers. Do you know how much did we make today? It’s doubled . . . tripled even! Pretty sure the owner will give us a bonus.”

 

 

I a breath at the word bonus. He has a good point. Having Jiyong here will attract more customers and with that, bonus is guaranteed. If only I’m not in a desperate need of money, I’d fire Jiyong myself. I guess I just have to endure two weeks of torture.

 

 

 

 

 

When I got out of the office, Jiyong and the three girls were already nowhere to be found. Thank God for that. I went to the break room to changed clothes and grabbed my things. I was packing my bag the same time I heard a knock.

 

 

“Come in.” I called without looking up.

 

 

“Noona.” Someone spoke. I look up and saw Jihoon’s head sticking out of the door.

 

 

“Oh, Jihoon-ah. Are you ready?”

 

 

“Neh!” He said so cheerfully I can’t help but smile widely at him.

 

 

“Okay, wait for me outside. I’ll be out in a minute.” He gave me a nod and closed the door. 

 

 

I’ll give him a ride home since we’re taking the same route. We don’t usually have the same shifts. It’s either I get to clock out first or he leaves earlier than me. He’s supposed to leave work at nine but since we’re extra busy today, he worked over-time to help us subdue the crowd. So, I want to thank him by giving him a lift home.

 

 

As I stepped out at the back door, someone suddenly grab my shoulder causing me to scream bloody murder. This didn’t last long. My attacker (Yes, I’d like to address him as my attacker.) put a hand against my mouth, muffling my screams. I can’t see my attacker’s face since we’re in a dark alley and my back was press against his front. I could tell that it’s a guy though.

 

 

Adrenaline finally kicked in and my first taught was to head him… yeah, backwards. Hell! I don’t care. I need to get out of his hold. I’m not dying tonight. But then a familiar scent hit my nose followed by a familiar voice.

 

 

“Damn! Why are you so loud?”

 

 

I whirled around so suddenly I ended up head-butting him. He cried out in pain but I ignored him and started slapping his left arm… hard.

 

 

“YOU SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME! Are you trying to kill me? God! I nearly got a heart attack.”

 

 

“Ouch! Aww! Aahh! Stop it already.” He said, holding up is right arm as a shield and his free hand nursing his jaw. 

 

 

I stopped hitting him and I was breathing hard. “Jeez, I didn’t mean to scare you. No need to get violent, woman.” He was still nursing his jaw, checking if I cause a cut on it. Thankfully there’s no bleeding or anything. I’m not ready for another wave of death treats for injuring Kwon Jiyong.

 

 

“What are you still doing here?”

 

 

“What took you so long?” He asked me back, totally ignoring my question. I narrowed my eyes on him and was about to throw another question when Jihoon decided to show up.

 

 

“Noona! Are you okay? I thought I heard you scream.” I looked back and he was scanning my face, obviously worried.

 

 

I fully turned to him and smiled reassuringly. “I’m fine, Jihoon-ah.” He sighed and nodded. His eyes went over my shoulders, finally noticing Jiyong.

 

 

“Oh, Jiyong-ssi. You still here?”

 

 

“Yeah. I was waiting for Dara. I’m taking her home.”

 

 

My head whipped around to Jiyong and stared at him. “What?”

 

 

His eyes moved to mine and nonchalantly said, “I’m taking you home.”

 

 

I turned to him again and tilted my head to the side. “Who said you’re taking me home?”  I don’t remember anything about him taking me home.

 

 

“I am.” He said in a way that doesn’t welcome any arguments. Well, eat because I’m not coming down with this one.

 

 

“No. You can’t decide that for yourself. I don’t need a ride, I have my own. Besides, I’m taking Jihoon home.” Something flickered in his eyes but I don’t know what to make of that.

 

 

“I’m sure he can manage on his own. Am I right, Jihoon-ssi?” He asked Jihoon, not taking his eyes off me. 

 

 

I looked back to Jihoon and he’s staring at me uncertainly. He opened his mouth to say something but when he glanced at Jiyong, the hesitation in his eyes has now gone. I don’t know what just happened there. Males have their own way of conversing without actually conversing.

 

 

He cleared his throat and gave me a tight smile. “It’s okay, noona. I’ll take a bus home.” I opened my mouth to stop him but he didn’t give me a chance as he already stepping away. “Then, I’ll go on ahead. Take care, noona.” He looked at Jiyong and nodded, took one last look at me and h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter