The Lady in Red (Part One)

Say Yes

Note: I've read your comments and oh wow please don't hate on Luhan. hate on me. LOL. i''ll do my best in his character develepment as well as the rest. he're my last update and i think it's quite long so i divided it into two parts so the end of Part one is hanging. I really put extra effort on this one so I hope you'll enjoy and not be disappointed. thank you.

----------------------------------------------

It was a Friday and children’s laughter can be heard at the back of the Little Children’s Mansion. Colorful table cloths were laid over round plastic tables and chairs were tied with balloons of different colors. A huge banner wishes a happy birthday to little Namjoo and a birthday song was being played. The EXO boys, the SNSD squad and their kids and husbands, the Little Children orphans, and the maids are all present. Did I mention Park Minah and Nam Joohyuk tagged along? Yes they did.

Luhan sat beside his secretary on the round table opposite Seohyun and Nam Joohyuk. It has been days since Luhan knew of Joohyuk but he still can’t find the heart to be friends with him. Offering to be civil towards each other is what he could only do and Joohyuk gladly took it. There’s no use being plastic towards each other, everyone they hated each other. Seohyun was feeling comfortable in her seat totally unaware of the awkward atmosphere between the two men. She watched as Kyungsan happily ran along with the other kids while holding two balloons that were pink and blue in color. “Your son’s really cute.” Joohyuk commented as he also watched the jubilant child. “Isn’t he?” Seohyun smiled feeling proud as she glanced at Joohyuk. Luhan tried his best not to feel pissed off and busied himself asking Minah the same questions about a new project in China over and over again. Minah giggled and said “Oh Mr. Lu. You’ve asked the same question for the third time already. Yes, it’s next week.” She placed a hand on Luhan’s shoulder that made Luhan awkward. Joohyuk looked at her with a frown. If he had known better, he would think she was hitting on her boss. Luhan cleared his throat and excused himself.

As he was heading to the restroom, Chanyeol approached him.“Why’d you bring that Minah girl here hyung?” Chanyeol asked as he devoured a whole slice of cake. He never liked Park Minah. He remembered how she pushed girls off the stairs just because they talked to her “boyfriends”. One of those girls is Seohyun and she had the most of her evil deeds. “She insisted.” Chanyeol stopped half-way eating another slice and grimaced at his hyung. “I know what you’re thinking and no she’s just devoted in her work. Leave her alone.” Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders and went to get a drink. Luhan shook his head and headed to the restroom.

“That happened?!” Hyoyeon exclaimed at Jessica as they were fixing Namjoo’s hair and clothes. “Can you die down your voice?! You’re gonna kill me!” Jessica glared at her and nodded her head saying “Yes. Luhan and Joohyuk made a scene outside the concert venue. That’s why Seohyun got mad. Yuri and Yoona told me.” Jessica said as she sprayed a good amount of perfume on Namjoo who was playing a game in his phone. “But the two seems okay sitting near each other.” Jessica rolled her eyes at Hyoyeon. “Of course they should be okay unless they want Seohyun to be mad again.” Jessica replied with a tone that says it-was-obvious. “You have a point.” Hyoyeon replied. The two woman high-fived each other when they finished preparing the birthday celebrant. “I’m really thankful of Kris for letting us use his orphanage for the party. It’s the perfect venue.” Hyoyeon said. Jessica nodded her head and quickly changed topic. “Have you seen Taeyeon? I haven’t seen her since we arrived here.” Jessica asked and Hyoyeon shook her head. “She’ll just pop out of nowhere later.”

Kris rose from his seat and went to his younger brother who was frustrated at some paperworks from work. He took the papers from the younger guy and was greeted with whines. “Hyung!!! I need to read all of that for my report!!!” Sehun stood up and tried to reach the papers from the taller guy. “Sehun you shouldn’t do work in a birthday party. It’s rude.” Kris patted Sehun’s shoulder. “Easy for you to say because everything’s easy for you while I have to use up all of my brain cells to comprehend a little of everything.” He continued to reach for the thick stack of papers. Kris backed away and rolled the papers before hitting his younger brother in the head. “Ouuchhh!!” Sehun caressed the top of his head. “That’s for exaggerating. “  Kris said and handed him back his papers. “Don’t stress yourself too much. The boys’ miss you already. You’re always not available.” With that, Kris left and went to check on Chen, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun who were preparing for their singing performance. He was about to enter the kitchen through the back door- because he knows they were “practicing” and not eating there.- when a creaking sound from the mini playground caught his attention. He stepped backwards and turned to the intersection towards the playground and saw a girl-no a woman who has a kidlike body rocking her body on a swing.  She had her back turned towards him.

“Kim Taeyeon?” he asked as he slowly made his way towards her. Taeyeon looked up to her side and met Kris’ gaze. “Oh hi.” She gave him a weak smile. “What are you doing here?” Kris asked as he removed his hands from his pants and went to sit at the swing next to hers. Simultaneously they swung lightly with their foot as anchors. “Nothing. Just enjoying the peace and quiet.” Taeyeon replied in a soft voice. It was weird that they were talking all by themselves now because they’ve never been really close before that would get them into an actual conversation and a casual talk at that. Taeyeon noticed Kris looking at her and she turned to him with a smile. “Tell me what happened.” Kris said. Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her head. “What do you mean?” She asked with a smile. “What ever happened to Taenggoo?” Kris pinched her cheeks and smiled. Now that’s weirder. “Silly Kris. I’m here. Taengoo, the one and only.” Taeyeon patted her chest while saying her words with pride. “Ahh yeah.” Kris nodded. “Well, I think the party’s gonna start. I’ll head first if you still want to stay longer.” Kris nodded and watched as she walked away until she turned to the intersection.

What ever happened to that bright smile I always admired?

When Luhan went back to his assigned table, Minah wasn’t there so he asked Seohyun but she didn’t know as well. He shrugged his shoulders off and went to “The Husbands” table. That was better than to slowly die watching Seohyun talking to a guy he didn’t like. Luhan was about to introduce himself when the six men shook their heads and said they already know him. “My wife talks a lot about Seohyun-ssi and all the things about her. That includes you Luhan.” Joo Won, Hyoyeons husband said and was followed by nods of the other husbands. “Who’s the leech?” Kevin, Jessica’s husband asked pointing a finger to Joohyuk’s direction. “Nam Joohyuk. Seohyun’s new friend.” Ooohhsss were heard afterwards as Luhan sounded so hateful talking about Nam Joohyuk. “I don’t think he’ll just be a friend any longer. Look at him advancing. Smooth as a sheet of paper.” Taekhyung, Sunny’s man commented. “Will it be okay with you?” he added. “As long as my Hyunie’s happy, I’d go for it.” Kevin shot him a judging look before saying “What do you think you are?  A martyr saint?” he scoffed. “Then what should I do?” Luhan asked. “I don’t know. Maybe Court her? Do the things you should’ve done ages ago?  Stop being so dumb?” he replied while rolling his eyeballs. Wow! He’s as mean as Jessica. “I-I’m dumb?” Luhan pointed to himself “Not really dumb. More like dense to your own feelings.” Stellar, Yuri’s husband replied. Luhan was silenced by their words not because he didn’t understand but because he actually understand every single bit of it that he feared them. If it’s true then it means he wasted his chance. How can he accept that?  He glanced at Seohyun and thought to himself. Am I too late to realize? I’m not even sure with my feelings.

Seohyun had her full attention to the kids especially Kyungsan. She saw Taeyeon coming and pointed to a corner when she mouthed “Where’s Jimin?” Taeyeon nodded and went to her son who was hiding at that time behind a palm tree. Seohyun chuckled as Taeyeon tickled her son until the little boy broke down into laughs and tears. “You’re so fond of kids aren’t you?” Joohyuk suddenly asked as he stared at Seohyun’s side profile. She looked at him and nodded. “Ever since I gave birth to Kyungsan, my fondness of kids deepened.” She said heartily. “It’s your natural maternal instincts.” Joohyuk told her as he caressed her cheek. Seohyun was startled with the sudden action and felt utterly uncomfortable with the fresh feeling. It’s not her first experience of course because her father, Mr. Lu and Luhan would do these loving acts to her all the time. Aside from them, she only felt comfortable linking arms and hugging the EXO boys in a friendly manner. But it was different with the guy next to her for she knew his intention as he showed it to her through actions and words. Seohyun felt suffocated with uneasiness but she somehow liked that a man showed interest in her. It was an all-new feeling. “Seohyun I know we’ve only met not long ago but I am really serious with you and I want to take part of your life.” Seohyun gasped and her eyes widened while staring at Joohyuk’s serious face. “Can you give me a chance?” he asked. Seohyun’s throat dried up and she couldn’t find words to speak. What was she supposed to say after he officially confessed to her? She glanced to all directions looking for that one person she knows that can make her feel comfortable in tough situations. Oppa where are you?!  She thought as she fidgeted in her place. “Seo?” she flinched when she heard Joohyuk speak once more. She took her time thinking over his again and again before she looked up and gave her sweetest smile.

“Okay kids gather over here!” Sunny called and gestured for the kids to stand before the huge banner. Taeyeon, Yoona and Yuri helped her gather the kids as she positioned the camera to her front. She signaled for adjustments to fit the children in her shot and the three helpers did what she ordered. Everything was set as the kids were already smiling widely to the lens of the camera. “Park Chanyeol get out!” Sunny yelled and placed her hands on her hips. Did Chanyeol just assume he could be mistaken as a kid? His smile is creepy enough to be singled out in the photo. “Uuuuuuggghhhh pleeeaaaassseeee!!!” He stomped his feet like a child and rubbed his palms against each other while pleading. “No you’re not mister.” He was pulled by the ear by Sooyoung.

Sunny shook her head and heaved a sigh. She held her DSLR camera again to her face and was about to take the picture when she noticed something. “Sooyoung-ah!! Where’s Taehyung?” Sunny referred to Sooyoung’s son. Sooyoung crossed her arms and went to the group of children. She pointed to the kid with the denim shirt but when she went nearer, it turned out to be one of the orphans. “Where’s that kid?!” She asked and looked around. The kids whined and Taeyeon, Yoona and Yuri had to explain. Hyoyeon went to them and offered ice cream. The kids immediately jumped in joy. When every child has received their ice creams, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon, Yuri and Yoona helped the others to look for the missing child while Jessica and Tiffany stayed with the kids.

They formed themselves into groups and checked every possible place the child could have gone to. From every bedroom of the mansion and out to the school they searched for the missing child. Chen, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo joined the search when Sehun came to check the kitchen. “He’s not in the bedrooms noona.” Tao informed Sooyoung and the others came one by one with the same result. “He’s not in the school as well.” Xiumin came last with Suho and Kai. “Where’s that kid now?!” Sooyoung sounded pissed off as she crossed her arms and gritted her teeth. But deep down she was scared. Scared of losing the only companion she has in life.

“Taehyung!!!” Suho suddenly exclaimed and everyone looked to the direction he was pointing. Outside the gates of the mansion, Taehyung was running across the street to get his ball. They ran towards him and caught sight of a fast-approaching black SUV car. Sooyoung shouted her son’s name knowing how close the car is to hitting Taehyung. “Stop! Stop!” they all yelled to the driver of the car but it was no use. The car was in so much speed anyone who is a driver would know slowing down wouldn’t stop the huge impact if it hits the child. Just seconds before the crash, Sooyoung held her breath as she watched her son obliviously crouching down to his red ball.

“Nooooo!!!!!”

In a flash of light, Joohyuk came to Taehyung and grabbed him in his arms. They all gasped as the car passed and the two rolled over the other side of the street with Taehyung securely wrapped around Joohyuk. Sooyoung almost faint that Kevin and Stellar had to hold her for support. Kris, Luhan, Suho and Xiumin went to the driver of the car who went out to apologize. “I’m really sorry. He just came out of nowhere.” He apologized in a troubled expression. “It’s okay but you need to know that there are kids in this subdivision.” Kris sternly told him and dismissed the man. Sooyoung ran to her son and enveloped him in a hug. “Why did you go out???!!” she yelled and spank Taehyung twice. Joohyuk stopped her seeing that Taehyung was crying. “Are you okay Joohyuk-ssi? Thank you for saving Taehyung.” Seohyun looked at him with worry written on her forehead. “I’m fine.” Joohyuk assured her. Sooyoung thanked him again and again as she carried her son back to the mansion. “Noona you should rest.” Chanyeol suggested and Sooyoung smiled at his thoughtfulness. “Joohyuk-ssi?” Joohyuk turned around at Taeyeon. “Yes Taeyeon-ssi.” They were left outside as the rest went back in. “I just want to thank you for saving Taehyung. Last time you also saved Kyungsan.” Joohyuk smiled and said “Why do I always end up saving kids? Should I become a super hero then?” he playfully raised an eyebrow as Taeyeon chuckled. “And I also want to say sorry.” Joohyuk gave her curios look and Taeyeon sighed at her guilt. “I didn’t really like you and had doubted your intentions. I’m really sorry.” Joohyuk smiled and patted her head. “I understand.” And they both went back to the mansion together.

“What happened?” Tiifany asked as she settled beside Sooyoung who was drinking water. Taehyung was on her lap playing with Chanyeol and Suho who were sitting next to her. Tao told her what happened as she gasped hearing every detail. “Who the hell opened the gate?” she curiously asked to herself.  Just then, she remembered something when Tao told her the reason why Taehyung went out. She slammed the table and eyed Minah spitefully. “Minah-ssi, how can you leave Taehyung by himself after you played with him??!!” Minah was surprised and now the attention was on her. “You were with him? Why didn’t you say anything?!” Luhan asked. “I-I..” Minah nervously shifted in her place. “I got restless and so I forgot. I’m sorry.” She looked down as Kai and Tao raised their eyebrows. Just like Chanyeol, they also didn’t like her and even doubted her angel image. To be exact, none of SNSD and EXO liked her except for Luhan and Seohyun who believed of her change.  Xiumin came into view with a sandwich in one hand and asked where Lay was. “Sica unnie told him to fetch Krystal.” Xiumin nodded his head and went to the “husbands” table to chat with them. “Who’s Krystal?” Kai asked curiously. “She’s Jessica noona’s younger sister. You don’t know her?” Tao asked and Kai shook his head. Tao eyed him judgingly. “How can you not know Soojung? She’s the Magic club President!” Tao exclaimed. Actually, they used to hang out because the Magic club is a sister club of the Martial Arts Club where he was the president. Kai shrug his shoulders. Soon, the party started with Hyoyeon and Jessica as the MCs who loved to bicker at each other. Their husbands grimaced at each other.

“And now dear friends, let us welcome the best singers of the entire Milky Way galaxy, Chen D.O. and Baekhyun!!!” Hyoyeon exclaimed as Jessica said. “Get out now!” like a mad mother. The trio popped out from the piles of gifts wearing their pressed tux while waving their hands at the audience. Everyone clapped in recognition of the three. Chen and Baekhyun threw some punch lines that cracked everyone up while Kyungsoo complimented Namjoo. They sang Paradise and everyone was amazed by their voices that perfectly blended and complimented each other. As they sang, they also handed roses to the little girls. Little Hayoung felt utterly romanticized as she hugged her red rose. Sunny scoffed at her child.

Everyone was standing up to get their food and drinks when Lay and Krystal arrived. Jessica went to them and scolded them for being late. “Sorry Jess. She’s so hard to get.” Krystal rolled her eyes and excused herself to hand her gift. She walked to Hyoyeon who was busy assisting the kids in getting food. “Hyoyeon unnie, where’s Namjoo? I’m gonna give him my gift.” Hyoyeon thanked her and pointed to a child looking up to a Christmas tree of presents. He had his back to them. Krystal gave Hyoyeon a thumbs-up and strut her way to the child. “Happy birthday little boy!!” she chirped behind him. Recognizing her voice, Namjoo excitedly turned around and met the girl in all-black get up. “Aunt Krystal!!” he ran to her and Krystal spun him around. When he asked if he could open the gift, Krystal nodded with a smile that he was more than delighted as he was told not to open the other gifts until they get home. In the distance, Lay gaped as Chanyeol scoffed watching the volte-face of Krystal. “Daebak!!! How can she change her attitude 360 degrees in just seconds??!” Lay asked no one in particular. “I’m more surprised she didn’t scare Namjoo with her look.” Chanyeol said as he eyed Krystal from head to feet. As usual, she was covered in black. Black vest, Black shirt, black leather jeans, and black mini skirt. She was in full eyeliner as well.

End of Part 1