Chapter 32

❣ A Wolf's Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been one of those nights, you hadn’t been able to sleep. You felt crushed by your feelings and even though you felt empty and exhausted you weren’t able to drift off. You lifted your gaze, staring up at the clear, dark and blue sky, seeing how the moon and the stars shone down on top of you. It was hard to decide which was more appealing to look at, this wonderful night sky or his handsome face. His hand was tightly tangled with yours and laid on top of your stomach, creating a small amount of pressure on top of you. The other was was absently your upper leg which you had pulled up slightly. “I’m sorry, for asking you to stay here.” You muttered, your eyelids half closed as you fought against the exhaustion that was trying to take you over. Your words seemed to wake him from his dazed state, making him look down on you with a special kind of patience inside of his eyes. Then he smiled, making your heart flutter and soften the pain, was there anything he couldn’t do? His fingers slightly squeezed yours, a comforting movement and it made butterflies explode in your stomach. “Of course you asked me to stay, you were upset and hurt, you don’t have to apologize for that. I would have stayed anyway, if you had asked me or not.” His voice was soft, fitting perfectly with the sphere that was surrounding the two of you. As you gazed into his eyes it was as if you could get lost inside of those dark pools, as if you could get lost inside of them. A soft smile played around your lips, but it was hard to keep it there. It felt wrong to smile and it was as if your insides were telling you that you shouldn’t be doing it. 

 

As if he noticed it he brought his free hand up towards your face, brushing your hair backwards and tracing your cheek with one of his fingers. “I wish that I could make you feel better.” He muttered, his own sadness filling his voice as he spoke. Your head laid peacefully on top of his lap and the blanket that you had taken with you to cover you up if you would be cold was laying at your feet. The two of you had made yourselves comfortable inside of the gardens, laying on the grass while everyone else had already gone to sleep. The last time you had went out on a nightly adventure with him you had still been strangers to one other and you had been hungry. He had been nice enough to show you his cooking skills and to cook you some food before sending you back to bed. The memory made sincere smile appear on your face and you could tell that he was looking at you. He wasn’t even trying to make you feel better, but still he was, just by being a part of your life. “What are you thinking of?” He whispered, almost as if he was afraid that someone was able to hear him. But you were all by yourselves, no one came here during this hour of the day, you had everything to yourselves. Even though it was already past midnight it still wasn’t cold outside, and Baekhyun’s skin was keeping you warm underneath you. “You.” You also whispered, but not because you were afraid to be discovered, but because you were embarrassed about your answer. His eyebrows raised playfully at you when he heard that and you couldn’t help the blush that crept onto your cheeks before you turned your head away from him. 

 

“Really?” You could hear that he was smiling as he said that and you rolled your eyes at nothing in particular. Slowly you glanced around yourself, seeing the wonderful cut branches and flowers that were surrounding you. It was beautiful out here during the night, with the brightness of the moon falling on top of it, you didn’t understand why you hadn’t noticed it any earlier, and you had been here for so long now. All of a sudden you thought of something, something you hadn’t thought of before and it seemed to hit you like a shock. “Baekhyun, what are you going to do if I die?” You asked and his eyes widened in honest displeasure about your question. He pressed his lips together into a straight line but you couldn’t stop thinking about it. Now that your sister’s killer got revealed there were all kind of things you suddenly starting thinking about, things you had never cared about before but that seemed important now. “I mean, you don’t get older, but I do. I age Baekhyun! I don’t want to be an old lady while you’re still young and handsome.” You explained and the more you thought about it the more the thought made you shiver, no that was not what you wanted. Baekhyun blinked his eyes in surprise, as if he hadn’t thought about that himself before. He was so used to the fact that everyone over here took ages before they would get older, but for humans that wasn’t the same. You got older every year, and at a certain point you would be older than he was, even though he had been living much longer than you. “If you’re asking me to change you into a wolf then I can already tell you that’s not going to happen.” He immediately blocked your next question and it made you frown. 

 

“Why?” You made sure to let him know that you weren’t agreeing with him by the way you pronounced the word. You sat up quickly, turning your body around and straddling his lips. He didn’t seem affected by your move and was still shaking his head while his arms wrapped around your middle loosely. “Because I like you like this, as a human. It’s everything you resemble, everything I love about you and I’m not going to change that.” He spoke up, his expressions serious as he looked you in the eye. You wished you could hide from him what his words did to you but you couldn’t. Immediately your cheeks lit up like there was a fire burning inside of you and you were sure he noticed it. You pouted, displeased by his answer but he still looked very convinced about his point of view. “We’ll figure something out, I’ll let one of my men look into it. But changing you into a wolf is not even a consideration.” Your frown deepened and you blew up your cheeks in displeasure, but he just smiled. He leaned closer and pecked your pursed lips, chuckling when he saw that it wasn’t helping. He leaned back on his hands, letting you straddle him and you saw how his look slipped towards your stomach. He did that all the time, almost as if he didn’t want to miss it if he would finally start to see some changes down there. The two of you turned silent again and enjoyed the sounds of each other breathing. You watched him as he closed his eyes, a soft smile lying around his lips as he did so. He looked so perfect, you wished that he would always be like this. You really hoped that he would actually do what he said because this idea didn’t suit you at all. 

 

“What is going to happen to him now?” You asked, not even able to say his name again. For one reason or another you just couldn’t get it over your lips anymore. Just the taste of it was almost too much to handle, leave alone actually speak it out. Until now you had both avoided the topic, thinking that it was better for you not to talk about it. But this had to be solved, you couldn’t keep turning around this forever, one of you would have to aim. You could tell that he was afraid to bring it up, after seeing ho upset you had been not so long ago. It had taken you hours before you had been able to calm down and until that time Baekhyun hadn’t dared to leave your side even once. You were angry, bitter, and he didn’t want you to do anything you would regret later on. You could tell that he was really worried about you and for a second you had been as wall. For a moment it had seemed as if you would never be able to stop crying, but eventually your tears had dried. You could see by the look on his face that he still wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to talk about it already. His eyes were slipping over your face, that same glint of worry inside of them that had been there all night long. “To be honest, I have no idea.” This surprised you, he was the Crown prince, as long as his father wasn’t here he was the one who could decide about what could happen with any of his prisoners. You thought that he had had it all figured out, but maybe you had been wrong. “But the address he gave you was correct?” You tried again, always wanting to be sure if the information he had gotten you was a hundred percent real. You didn’t trust that guy, not even a little bit. Baekhyun hummed, but he had a thoughtful look on his face, as if he wasn’t that sure about things either. Maybe that was why he wasn’t that sure of what to do next. 

 

It would be easy to kill him, he would be dead and you were finally rid of him and he would be freed from his suffering. But was that what you wanted, did you want him to get to his end that easily after all he had done to you? “You’re wondering if he’s working with someone?” It was the question you hadn’t been able to ask him when you had been in his cell and y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter