Chapter 23

❣ A Wolf's Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you have to move everything?” You asked as you looked around the room, spinning around yourself. This had once been your home, your sanctuary, the very one place where you had felt safe. Now it seemed nothing more than a set of walls, but still it carried so much memories with it. There was so much that had happened in this part of the castle that it almost seemed impossible to you that it would be empty, out of use. “Of course! This room will be equipped for another use now, it’s no longer necessary to keep your things here.” With a sad look you watched how the servants cleared up everything, fitting everything into small boxes, ready to sort them back out in no time. It was a weird thing to see, how everything that had happened and everything you had done over the past few months fitted into a few cases. The mirror was still standing onto its usual spot, your own image scoffing at you. While looking at it you walked closer, eyeing yourself. Still you seemed the same, though during the past couple of days so much had changed. You could barely believe that the girl staring at you was still you, it seemed as if she was someone completely different. “I don’t understand, he doesn’t need a queen. He can do all of this by himself perfectly fine.” As you turned around you could see that Amity was standing right behind you, a soft smile was plastered onto her face as she brushed your hair out of your face. She had always told you that this would happen, from the beginning she had been telling you that one day you’d be the next princess, but you had never believed her. 

 

“Of course he does sweetie. Every man needs a woman when his life is a mess. Because just like in a game of chess, the queen protects the king.” As you thought about her words you turned around again, looking yourself in the eye. These were probably one of the wisest words you had ever heard her say ever since you had known her. She smiled, before turning around and walking away. Even though you should probably get moving as well just couldn’t move from your spot. There were lessons you had to attend to, for the first time since you had been living here you actually had to do things. The peaceful and careless life you had had before you had finally accepted Baekhyun’s request was over. At first you had asked for time, you needed to think about it, but he hadn’t had much to give you. He had had to find someone soon, and then you had realized that you probably wouldn’t have been able to endure it if he would be with anyone else but you, so you had agreed to marry him. It was just sad that you could never just have his love, you had to take everything with it. You knew that you were just scared, but who wouldn’t be while being put in this kind of position? Ever since you had given him your reply your whole world had been turned upside down, and you didn’t even know what was left or right anymore. A soft knock of the door made you aware of the fact that you were just standing in the middle of an empty room, and that you must be looking like a crazy person. 

 

Olvida smiled at you as she stared at you, and you couldn’t do anything else than smile back at her in return. She was one of Baekhyun’s best friends, and during these past few hectic days you could say that she had become one of yours as well. “I figured you would be here.” Her voice was soft, as if she knew that you couldn’t really handle it to have a fun conversation right now. Silently she walked towards you, standing next to you and stared around herself. “He made the right decision picking you, I hope you know that.” There was a certain power inside of her voice which told you that she was speaking the truth. How was it that everyone was so convinced that this role was made for you expect for you? They all seemed to know that this was the path you had to follow, while you were still stuck finding the right direction. “Why? I’ve only been here a few months, how can he possibly know that it’s me he wants?” When you turned your head to look at her you found her already watching you. As she looked at you it seemed like a mother who was watching her child, but then again she was so much older than you, that it could almost be that way. “That’s the thing __________, he has only known you for a few months, and still it’s you he wants. Even though you are so different from us he wants you by his side, that means that he can see you doing this. He would never ask you if he wouldn’t believe in you. A king is nothing without his queen, which means that Baekhyun is nothing when he is not with you.” 

 

Her words made your heart flutter, and as if that wasn’t even enough she continued. “He is not just a normal guy, his whole life long he has been told what to do and how to do it. Since he was a child he has known that he had to look for a wife, and for years he has done nothing else than searching for that one girl who could make him happy. But then he stopped, because he never found what he needed. And then you came, and all of a sudden I just saw him changing. He hangs out with you without telling himself he has to, he has fun, thinks about other things than just his job and his throne. He seems to be so free of worries when you're around, and sometimes I just see him looking at you and he just seems so happy, just by seeing you happy. When you smile, he smiles, I don’t know what you did to him but I’m quite sure that he knows what’s right for him. I’m aware of whatever you’re up for is going to be tough and hard, and you’re going to struggle. Because like you said, you’ve only been here for a few months, you know nothing about our culture and about this land. But if you love him the way he loves you then you’ll work on it for him so that you can help him in the future, make his work a little less hard. He chose you because he knows that he can depend on you, that you’ll be there for him when he needs you, you’ve proven that to him before. You know him the way no other women know him, because believe it or not he loves you, and I know that you love him too.” 

 

Those were ways you had never thought about this situation before. Maybe it didn’t matter that marrying Baekhyun would put you in a position that you had never wanted, the most important part was that you could be there for him. The reason why he had picked you went much deeper than you had once thought, and maybe you just had to stop avoiding the topic and start talking about this with him. Ever since you had given him your answer you had stopped him every time that he had brought up the thought of you being a ruler. But how could you prepare for being one if you couldn’t even talk about it? “Thank you Olvida, that’s really nice.” She sniffed, as if she had already known that all along. Conan was probably with the prince right now, they were still arranging a few things. With a sigh you wiped your sweaty palms against the fabric of your dress. Another things that came with your newest role, always having to be dressed in the best way possible every day and every night, this was probably the part you hated the most. “Well, I should go. I have important matters to attend to.” You said and the girl beside you nodded, happy that she had been able to convince you to keep on going. Maybe you weren’t completely convinced just yet, but you were sure that you would get there. Not everything about this function could be bad, there also had to be some bright sides about this…

 

…”Yes, but I still have to read through this.” You said as you pointed toward the pile of papers that were lying onto your desk. When you had been to class earlier today you had told yourself that today you were really going to start working for this and so you had demanded yourself to read through the entire history of Alaria. Now that you were getting to know more and more about this country you were finally starting to understand why some people had fallen in love with it. “But you can finish it later.” Baekhyun said as he placed both of his hands on your shoulders, massaging you. Even though you told yourself to fight it you couldn’t, and you felt how your tensed muscles gave in underneath his touch. Slowly you sat back in your chair, you had been going over these chapters for hours now, and even though it was all very interesting you were slowly getting tired of it. “Get up, those papers aren’t going to run away.” When he said that you threw your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter