Chapter 14

❣ A Wolf's Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wake up miss ___________, you have to get dressed.” Immediately you noticed the pressure and tension inside of her voice, a tone that normally wasn’t there if she came to wake you. Tonight you had slept better than you had done for many nights. After your conversation with the Crown prince yesterday and everything that had happened you had been floating around on cloud nine. You just couldn’t forget how it had felt, the way of his lips pressing against yours. It had been so weird to feel all of those things, things no man had made you feel before. Honestly you didn’t want to wake up and face the news that Amity was about to tell you. You didn’t want to look past your happiness just yet, you wanted to enjoy these feelings for just a little bit longer. But it didn’t seem as if they were going to let you, since your maid pulled the covers off of you, exposing you to the air inside of the room. You moaned in displeasure as you lifted your head from you pillow and looked at her with small eyes, hoping that she would feel mercy for you and would leave you in bed a little bit longer. Though as soon as you saw the look on your face you knew that this wasn’t the right time for you to fool around. Something serious had been going on after you had gone to sleep, you could see it because of the hard look inside of her eyes. It was as if she was preparing herself for something, which made you believe that you must be doing the same yourself. 

 

 

Without saying anything you swung your legs over the edge of the bed and stepped out of the bed. You were almost too scared to ask her about what was going on, but you knew that it was better if you were prepared. She lived here much longer than you had, you had no idea what could possibly be going on that could make her look so severe today. There was only one thing you could come up with when you saw the black dress hanging by the door. A part of you wanted to start the daily discussion which you would always have if she would try and do something like this. It didn’t mean that you had been willing to wear a dress for the prom that you were planning to wear it always. There was still a side of you that was rebelling against every thought that involved these kind of outfits, even though they belonged in a castle like this. But you weren’t the kind if girl that belonged in a castle, so you also weren’t going to chance into one. Today though there was a small voice inside of your head that said that you had to wait with this until tomorrow. There was a special reason why she was making you wear this dress today without mentioning anything to you about it. “Oh god he isn’t dead is he?” You said as you stared at her from your spot in the middle of the doorway while Amity was letting the warm water run into the bathtub. Those words made her look up at you and you could feel your heart beating inside of your chest because of the look on her face. 

 

 

“If you’re mentioning sir Conan then I can reassure you that you don’t have anything to worry about more than you did yesterday. His condition is still the same, there haven’t been any changes yet. So no, no one is dead yet.” She said but no longer made eye contact with you as she helped you into the bath. The feeling of the warm water against your skin made goosebumps appear all over your skin, but you ignored it. It almost seemed as if this bathroom was the place where you had the most serious conversations. No matter what was going on and what this was all about, it wasn’t good news and you wanted to know what you were heading into. You hated it that you were always so badly informed about everything and that you always had to find out everything at the last moment. “What’s going on then? What is that dress for and why are you waking me up so early?” A sigh left her lips as she listened to all of your questions. She probably thought that you were just being curious again, like you always were, but this was different. This seemed to be a serious situation. Maybe you weren’t raised here and you still didn’t understand everything that was going on inside of this country, but you lived here now. You were a part of it and so you no longer wanted to be treated like an outsider. You were no longer the weak and fragile girl you had been when you had first gotten here. You had always been strong in a way, since you had always had to take care of yourself and always had to fight for your life. So people had to stop seeing you as something that you weren’t and start treated you the way you deserved. 

 

 

“Amity, whatever it is I can take it. You have to tell me because I believe that sooner or later I will find out anyway aren’t I?” Finally she looked up at you and you could see that she had a hesitating expression on her face. Had the prince asked her not to say anything to you? That was absurd, because you had the right to know. If you were going somewhere then you wanted to know where they were taking you and what was going to happen. You weren’t planning on doing anything against your will, not anymore. You hadn’t been able to choose whether you wanted to live here or not, but that didn’t mean that you were going to let them decide everything for you. “They questioned the attacker that has been said to wound sir Conan. He confessed, he didn’t even try to  deny what he did. He is receiving his punishment, everyone inside of the castle is invited to see his execution.” Her words made your eyes pop open, and they almost jumped out of their sockets. You had already heard about the news last night, but you didn’t know what they meant with that punishment. What was going to happen? What were you going to witness? You completely agreed with the fact that he should be punished for what he had done, because he was a traitor. Every man who betrayed his country had to be executed for his duties. But you had no idea how this land handed those kind of situations, you weren’t very well known with the law. That was what the dress was for, they wanted you to look formal since they were going to show you as a member of a royal family, something that you weren’t. You weren’t sure if you wanted to be a part of all of this, but you also weren’t sure if you had a choice. 

 

 

Before you had the time to argument you were hoisted into the dress and your hair was pulled back into a tight pony tail. Everything about your look shouted that you didn’t care about what was going to happen and that the only reason why you were going was because you were into seeing someone suffer. You betted that that was the reason why most families were coming, but not you. Even though you didn’t know what was going to happen and what you were going to see, you were sure that it wasn’t going to be pleasant. A punishment was never a nice thing to see, and surely not if you had to watch it from a distance. That was when you noticed that Amity was also dressed in a dress, which didn’t look like what she usually wore if she came to wake you up in the morning. Just like yours her dress had a dark color and her hair was tied together in a knot. “Are you going as well?” You asked and turned away from your own image inside of the mirror, it was almost too hard for you to look at it. Yesterday you had still been so happy and so delighted about everything it was almost unbelievable that it had all changed so fast. You hadn’t expected anything big to happen from the man that had been held captive. Of course he deserved it to rot away in jail and to suffer, but was that how these people were seeing it as well? In political ways you had never been a very strong woman. As a child you had once witnessed a punishment on a marketplace and you had had nightmares about it for days. 

 

 

It had only been a kid, who had stolen something from a store so that he and his brothers would have had something to eat that night. The boy had been hopeless and hadn’t found any better way to find food than to steal. If you had been in his shoes tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter