Chapter 24

❣ A Wolf's Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea if we would focus our eye on another part of the land.” Conan said, and you leaned your chin into your hand as your eyes slipped from him towards the prince and back. You had to try your hardest not to yawn at their conversation, because you didn’t want to be rude. Economics had never really been your things, you had always been the one who had taken care of the fact that the food was on the table, not about how the money had to be found to buy it. Honestly you didn’t want to be here, but Baekhyun had invited you to come so that you could follow one of his meetings for once, so that you knew how it worked and what he did during his days. You didn’t understand how he could do this all day long, you wouldn’t be able to do it. “Why not stay at the part you’re on, if you change it now that means you’ll have to buy new supplies, which means you’ll have to buy them twice, while you can do the both of them at once. It spears the land some money. Besides, I’m sure that the inhabitants will not be glad if you change everything now, it crushes their faith. It makes it seem as if you don’t know what you’re doing.” All of the men had turned silent as you spoke up and when you looked at them you wondered if it had been wrong from you to say something. Maybe it had been the plan that you would just watch, not participate. But you just didn’t agree with what they said, because you knew how it felt to be an resident who just had to follow the rules of the government and have nothing to decide for yourself. But then you noticed how Baekhyun smiled as he leaned back into his chair and stretched out his arms. “Well, then that’s settled. I agree with miss ___________, it’s best if we don’t change everything now that we already started it. The people won’t like it and this is the one moment we do not want their trust to weaken.” 

 

Secretly you were proud because he had listened to your opinion, it proved to you that you weren’t as hopeless in these kind of things as you had thought. The other members of the counsel were discussing this decision between each other as they stood up from their spots and began to leave the room. When you were the only ones who were left you saw how Baekhyun pushed back his chair and straightened his legs. Seemed like this also wasn’t his favorite activity of the day, but he didn’t have any other choice than to be here. It was nice to know that from now on you would no longer have to do this, this wasn’t the job of the queen. Without saying anything you raised from your chair and walked over to him, sitting down on top of his lap. Your dress fell over him like a blanket, but his arms wrapped around your middle smoothly, pulling you against himself. “That was some grate advice you gave there, maybe I should always invite you to this kind of things.” He said, a grin on his face which told you that he was fooling around. You sniffed, pushing your nose up into the air, still feeling good about yourself. “You have a different perspective when you’ve been a part of a community for so long.” You explained, your fingers following the wonderful engravings on his jacket. The buttons were made of pure gold, he had told you that once, and you wondered what one of the people in your land would do to have one of these. 

 

“You must know that I will never put the land but the people first, that’s the kind of queen that I want to be.” Your voice was only a whisper, because you weren’t sure how he would react to this. It wasn’t like you wanted to say that you didn’t like the way he ruled his country, you were just saying that you were going to do it your own way. Of course, he was king and you were only there to stand beside him and to give him advice, but you would always speak in the advantage of the people. “I know, that’s why I picked you.” He placed his forehead against your shoulder, sighed and nuzzled himself against you. Smoothly you brushed your hand through his silk soft hair, massaging his scull. He must feel very stressful about all of this, but in your eyes he had made the right decision today. “Why don’t we go for a walk?” You asked, and at this moment you could feel the need of having to feel the sun shine on top of your face. The last days you had been inside so much, because you had to make sure that you would finish everything you had to do before the wedding, and that was a lot. You still had to read through your lecture, study the history of the royal family, learn all the types of spells and magic that could be used. And then there was still this big book filled with all the enemies this country had already been against, while there was still one who was in full action. Honestly you had wanted to bring Nobregas into your conversations a few times, because you knew that this was something that had to be solved. This land couldn’t be safe as long as that horrible man was still running around freely. There had to be a way that he could be stopped, maybe with a very powerful spell or a trap, no man was invincible, definitely not one who had decided to work with the dark side. You refused to believe that. 

 

But by yourself you weren’t smart enough to come up with something. Even though you had learned so much in the last week you still didn’t knew everything, and that was what you needed in order to find a way to stop him. You needed someone who knew exactly what they were doing and who wanted to do everything in their power in order to stop this guy. You knew that Baekhyun would go quite far, surely since what happened last time. But you didn’t know if he would literally risk everything, he had his country to think of, his crown and of course he would always get worried about you. “That’s a good idea, we should do that.” Slowly you stood up from his lap and he helped you steady yourself before he followed your lead and came out of his chair. It was weird to see this chamber this empty, when you had arrived here earlier this morning it had already been overloaded by people. He let you go first so that he could shut down all the lights and lock the door behind you, and you were sure that he also did it so that he could secretly look at you without you seeing it. It was still hard for you to believe that he was going to be your husband sooner or later, he had actually proposed to you. When you had first gotten here you hadn’t even expected him to like you at all, not even a little bit and now look where you were. When you were out of the room you stopped and turned around, waiting for him until he was done. As soon as he locked the door he hid the key in the inner pocket of his jacket, where it was safely secured. The value that he seemed to give to that key told you that it could open more doors than just this one. 

 

“Are the members of your counsel going to be annoyed because I spoke up during the meeting?” You asked and continued walking again as he showed up beside you. The two of you made your way towards the castle halls, and you tried to make sure to study every detail so that one day you’d be able to find your way through these corridors by yourself. You had never been in this part of the castle before, probably because it was only used in order to do business. Over here there were less windows, and the walls were coated with a red fabric. There were a lot of cards and paintings hanging at the wall, contracts that had been frames and drawings of a warrior ship. Everything about this halls screamed war and freedom, together with everything that was in between. “Why would they?” When you turned your head to look at him you could see that he was truly confused about that question. As if it was weird for you to even think such a thing. But he wasn’t seeing it in your perspective, and for a moment you weren’t sure if you’d be able to fully explain it to him how you felt. “I’m a woman, I’m not supposed to speak up during business like that.” His facial expression changed as you said that and he hummed, while thinking about what you had said. To your surprise he grabbed your arm and linked it through his, pulling you closer to him. “Sooner or later they’re going to have to listen to you anyway, when you’re their queen, so why not start now?” You cringed your nose as him and he laughed, keeping your arm tightly through his as he guided you back towards the main hall. 

 

As you passed the servants who walked past you all bowed their heads for you, and it still annoyed you just as much as it had done before. You didn’t want to be looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter