Warm Cup of Milk

House of Secrets

“Argh!” Jiyeong jumped at the frustrated shout. She peeked out of Jungkook’s room – the door had been slightly ajar. Hoseok was standing in the hallway (his room was apparently next to Jungkook’s) and was holding a Smartphone to his ear. The girl flinched when Hoseok spoke out again. “I don’t care! I have schoolwork, you know!” He sounded past angry – his face was as red as a tomato.

Hoseok pressed the “end call” button on his phone by jamming his finger furiously at the screen. He whirled around and met eyes with Jiyeong. She nearly fell on the ground by his unexpected movement.

“What are you looking at?” he snapped.

“I heard a yell…” Jiyeong’s voice trailed off. She spotted weary lines on his face. “What’s wrong?” she asked, without thinking.

With a frown on his face, the boy shoved the phone into his back pocket and crossed his arms. “None of your business.” He entered his room and slammed the door shut, making the girl jump.

“What a nasty temper,” she muttered. She glanced at the clock that hung in the hallway. It was past 11 PM. Jungkook was softly snoring in the bed behind her.

Despite being annoyed by Hoseok’s coldness towards her, a few minutes later, she found herself knocking on the older boy’s door. “What?” A snarl met her. She couldn’t help but think that the door in front of her was to the lion’s den.

“I got you a cup of warm milk with a spoon of honey. You know, when I was young, it helped me go to sleep. I think you’ll need it.” She stared down at the mug in her hands. A warm, sweet aroma emitted from it. It was the secret recipe Jungkook had taught her when they were in elementary school.

“Leave me alone! Mind you own business!” Hoseok shouted. Jiyeong nervously glanced at the other closed bedroom doors. She had no need to worry about Jungkook, but for the others… However, no one came out because of the ruckus. But then, she wasn’t even sure all of them were even in their rooms.

“I’ll leave it here in the hallway,” Jiyeong called out. She placed the mug on the floor in a place where it wouldn’t break when the door was opened. Thinking about her deed, she wondered why she suddenly cared whether the boy slept peacefully or not. She probably felt sorry for him for having to help his father on top of schoolwork. It must stress him out a lot. Shaking her head, she entered Jungkook’s room again.

Little did she know that a few minutes later, the door next to Jungkook’s room would open and a hand would bring the mug into the room.


The next day, the usual group (plus Jimin) was eating dinner at the dining table. That night the menu was spaghetti. Jin had made two pans of it, one cream and the other tomato sauce.

The front door suddenly opened and everyone turned to look at an extremely tired-looking Hoseok enter the house. He had prominent dark circles under his eyes, making him look like he hadn’t slept for days. He didn’t even acknowledge the rest and stumbled, actually stumbled, into the hall. Everyone at the table gaped at him as he disappeared.

“What’s wrong with him?” Jiyeong voiced out.

Taehyung shrugged. “I think he’s really busy nowadays. Maybe his father keeps calling him in to assist with his company. One time when I came in late because of modeling for a jeans brand, I saw him come in with bags under his eyes. He looked so haggard, like now. It had been past one in the morning. Thinking about it, I rarely see him.”

“I rarely see him, too, at school when he’s in my homeroom. And I haven’t even seen him in this house until today. Though it’s none of my business,” Namjoon muttered.

“Maybe we should call off the Gathering tonight,” Jin suggested. “Hoseok looks too tired to participate.”

“Yeah, I bet he doesn’t even have time to eat,” Jimin added. He stuffed a huge forkful of cream spaghetti into his mouth.

Jiyeong abruptly stood up, surprising everyone. Jimin opened his mouth in shock, which was not a pleasant sight to see. “A person can’t live in that condition,” she declared. Before anyone could react, she marched into the hall.

She stopped right in front of Hoseok’s room. Without hesitation, she began pounding on the door with a fist. “Hoseok Hyung!” she called out. The door abruptly opened and Jiyeong nearly fell onto the said boy.

“What?” He seemed especially cranky.

“You never eat breakfast, and I know you don’t eat lunch during school because I never see you in the cafeteria. Since you’re always busy, you don’t even eat dinner. Do you think you can go on like this? Are you a robot? I know you’re really tired right now, but you have to eat!”

Hoseok ruffled his hair in a frustrated manner. “So what? Who are you to start caring about me?”

“Of course I can’t help but get worried; I’m human, you know! Also, we’re…” Jiyeong searched for a word, “…friends. Just come out and eat – how hard can it be? Jin made-”

“Friends?” Hoseok sneered. “When were we even friends? Mind your own business before I personally kick you out of this house.” With those words, he slammed the door shut.


At one in the morning, Hoseok opened the door. He was so hungry that he couldn’t even sleep despite being dead-tired. Jiyeong’s deductions had been correct; he hadn’t eaten all day – maybe for the past couple of days.

He looked down and saw something in the hall next to his door. He crouched down and squinted. It was a tray of homemade cookies and a tin thermos was placed beside it. He opened the thermos. There was milk inside and it was still warm due to the sturdy container.

His cold gaze softened. It was obvious who put the cookies and milk in front of his room. He took a sip of the drink and he felt like some of his stress was melting away with the sweetness and warmth. “Thank you,” he whispered into the dark, silent hall.

 


Thank you so much, subscribers and commenters!! I enjoy seeing the number of subscribers rise or the wonderful comments as much as you guys enjoy reading this story! ;)